Chokecherries

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Did a number on a big ass raccoon with my pickup last summer, there was chokecherry seeds all over my engine compartment. Had to pressure wash to get all the shit and guts off. Wouldn't the seeds kill raccoons?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
There not toxic to some such as birds? No idea what all dictates it for some versus then for others. Know any animals with a four chamber stomach are the worst off but know bears will eat the berrie's as well.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well it's a good start and think I will get a few more gallons tomorrow when it's a bit cooler out.

IMG952016080395112555827.jpg

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is the difference between jelly and jam

Like others have said, clear and made from fruit juice, it should hold the shape of the container it is in. Jam is completly crushed whole fruit and should not hold the shape of the container it is in. Preserves should have chunks of fruit in a soft jelly.

Wish I had time to get some and can it. Mom always made elderberry syrup, guess it would be my version of CC syrup to you guys.

I used to make jam to sell in farmers markets, had a tart cherry that I added bourbon to, little bit on some white cheddar on a good cracker or baked brie.... The steam juice extrators are the way to go.

- - - Updated - - -

Well they wernt all wrong. After reading up on them every part of the chokecherry bush it highly poisonous except for the juce and flesh of the berries. The leaves and bark have killed a fair few horses and kids have been poisoned by chewing on the twigs or the pits in the fruit streight from the tree. The pits can be rendered non-poisonous but didnt look how since i have no need to do it. We're talking cyanide poisoning here so needless to say very nasty stuff and definitely something to keep an eye on well picking if you have small children with. I guess its strong enough and kids are susceptible enough to the poison that even using a live chokecherry branch to skewer hotdogs on can lead to them becoming ill.

Yeah the leaves are bad news, not sure the amount needed to ingest. We had them in spades around our old pasture, horses never messed with them or if they did, dropped them as imagine they have to taste terrible.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 57
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19