Deer Age?

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been learning deer hunting the last three years and finally figuring some things out. Got my first ever buck on trail cam today, curious what everyone thinks on age of this buck? I'm guessing 3.5. We were youth hunting public land for doe, found some rubs near a cattail slough.....Oldest son and I have buck tags for this unit in November. I know it's not a monster, but we'd be more than happy with it!

1695098971678.png

1695099065185.png

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice buck for the kid to target. I've always said that I don't have a "score" in mind when I pull the trigger, rather my goal is to simply shoot the biggest one available.

One would think I'd have learned to stop guessing at a deer's age, because it's just that...a guess. I've seen farmed deer, who...thanks to genetics and nutrition were able to score well above what that buck would reach as 1.5 yr olds. Nonetheless, I'd guess that buck on public land is 2.5 yrs old and just has good genetics and has benefitted from a good source of potassium, phosphorus, iron, calcium, magnesium and _____. If'n he looked a little more haggard, I'd have guessed him to be up to 5.5 yrs old.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The only way you can really tell is by looking in their mouth and I am absolutely no expert!

Having said that, I'd agree, 3.5ish and a definite dead deer if I had the chance.

Nice buck!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am 53.5, so there is that.

I remember my kids always telling me I am five and a half years old, or I am now nine and a half...

just seems so juvenile

I would say this buck is 3.75 years old

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A big buck down there weighs 150 lbs.

Those high fences grow big antlers though.

meh...

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
If he can give everyone the slip for a year or two should really be a dandy
Well, he has yet to be seen again on camera so maybe was moving through......we'll see as the season progresses but he may live to grow another year at this rate!

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, he has yet to be seen again on camera so maybe was moving through......we'll see as the season progresses but he may live to grow another year at this rate!
I've actually been getting a few different small bucks coming in and hanging around lately, interesting to see when the area corn comes off what happens. Got one buck that was a constant on one camera till Sept 12th and now is about 1/4mi hitting a couple other cameras

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've actually been getting a few different small bucks coming in and hanging around lately, interesting to see when the area corn comes off what happens. Got one buck that was a constant on one camera till Sept 12th and now is about 1/4mi hitting a couple other cameras
I'm guessing he's still in the area but haven't seen him. There is standing corn about a mile from where the camera is, seen a few others that we'd also shoot but not what this guy is.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84