What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
Fishing
Ice Fishing
DeWalt K-Drill - 3 Season Review
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Slappy" data-source="post: 340418" data-attributes="member: 7608"><p>Wrapping up the 3rd season with a DeWalt 996B turning a 7.5" K-Drill through at least 500 holes/season. It just let me down for the first time, but I attribute that to not paying attention to heat build up while drilling multiple holes through close to 3ft of ice.</p><p></p><p>A plastic centering plate nests with the plastic fan piece fixed to the stator shaft, and these got hot enough to melt and weld themselves together when the drill stopped turning. I was able to break the weld without breaking anything else and get it running again. I was pleasantly surprised to see how good the internals looked after all the use it's seen. Motor and gears all looked like new. Not abused but definitely run hard.</p><p></p><p>I was curious how long the drill would last so thought I would share for one data point. I will keep using this one but also picked up a 999 for a backup.</p><p></p><p>Keeping batteries comfortable on the ice is key to getting all the available power. Keep the batteries in a cooler and add a hand warmer to keep them from getting cold. Keep the battery in an inside coat pocket or the cooler when not using. Switch batteries if drilling many holes in a row to avoid overheating the batteries.</p><p></p><p>Remove the K-Drill and hit the drill chuck with some WD-40 and spin all the way in and out once or twice a season to keep the chuck from binding.</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH]51900[/ATTACH]</p><p>[ATTACH]51901[/ATTACH]</p><p>[ATTACH]51902[/ATTACH]</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Slappy, post: 340418, member: 7608"] Wrapping up the 3rd season with a DeWalt 996B turning a 7.5" K-Drill through at least 500 holes/season. It just let me down for the first time, but I attribute that to not paying attention to heat build up while drilling multiple holes through close to 3ft of ice. A plastic centering plate nests with the plastic fan piece fixed to the stator shaft, and these got hot enough to melt and weld themselves together when the drill stopped turning. I was able to break the weld without breaking anything else and get it running again. I was pleasantly surprised to see how good the internals looked after all the use it's seen. Motor and gears all looked like new. Not abused but definitely run hard. I was curious how long the drill would last so thought I would share for one data point. I will keep using this one but also picked up a 999 for a backup. Keeping batteries comfortable on the ice is key to getting all the available power. Keep the batteries in a cooler and add a hand warmer to keep them from getting cold. Keep the battery in an inside coat pocket or the cooler when not using. Switch batteries if drilling many holes in a row to avoid overheating the batteries. Remove the K-Drill and hit the drill chuck with some WD-40 and spin all the way in and out once or twice a season to keep the chuck from binding. [ATTACH=CONFIG]51900._xfImport[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]51901._xfImport[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]51902._xfImport[/ATTACH] [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
C
Gasoline pump prices
Latest: camper
27 minutes ago
Metal roof or shingles?
Latest: 3Roosters
36 minutes ago
I HATE coyotes!!!!
Latest: Rowdie
58 minutes ago
Sale
6.5 Creed Barrel - Savage
Latest: SupressYourself
Today at 3:36 PM
ISO Vizsla pup
Latest: Yoby
Today at 3:17 PM
T
Sharptails/Huns with labradors
Latest: Traxion
Today at 1:40 PM
migration 26
Latest: 1lessdog
Today at 12:37 PM
Fall fishing?
Latest: sdwxman
Today at 8:43 AM
A.I. Are you Excited?
Latest: Eatsleeptrap
Today at 6:30 AM
A
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: Auggie
Today at 6:02 AM
Scheels Bismarck
Latest: Slappy
Yesterday at 11:01 PM
Ham/Women
Latest: svnmag
Yesterday at 10:08 PM
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: lunkerslayer
Yesterday at 8:39 PM
Pronghorn
Latest: Maddog
Yesterday at 6:52 PM
DUI Attorney
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 2:31 AM
Lotsa bots
Latest: Davy Crockett
Sunday at 8:43 PM
T
NDSU to the FBS???
Latest: Twitch
Sunday at 7:24 PM
Sale
Ford Tailgate bench
Latest: wslayer
Sunday at 5:33 PM
Sale
STEINER Predator 12 x 50
Latest: 1lessdog
Saturday at 4:27 PM
A
Steak Knives?
Latest: Auggie
Saturday at 4:12 PM
Makoti Lake, ND
Latest: eyexer
Saturday at 9:39 AM
Friends of NDA
Forums
Fishing
Ice Fishing
DeWalt K-Drill - 3 Season Review
Top
Bottom