What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
General
Recipes
Elk meat help, Recipes...
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="huntinforfish" data-source="post: 351009" data-attributes="member: 607"><p>My brother and I were lucky enough to leave Colorado with a cow elk this year and I need some ideas for the meat. We have been using the burger for anything and everything at home and that is great. I have tried steaks a couple times with little success. First cook was chops on the grill and I went super simple. Medium rare at the most with a little salt and pepper - terrible. Very irony and not near as tender as I remember. Second steak attempt was marinated chops and the result was a little better, but not what I would call good. Obviously, I know meat will vary animal to animal, but this is about the worst I have had. Super strong iron flavor and pretty tough all around. Due to conditions, we were not able to let meat hang for more than 12 hours before it went to the processor who let it hang in the cooler for a day before cutting. Meat was well cared for on the mountain and the gutless method was successful. Any advice, tips or tricks would be much appreciated. Way too much work went into getting this animal for it not to be enjoyed at home. Thanks fellas.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="huntinforfish, post: 351009, member: 607"] My brother and I were lucky enough to leave Colorado with a cow elk this year and I need some ideas for the meat. We have been using the burger for anything and everything at home and that is great. I have tried steaks a couple times with little success. First cook was chops on the grill and I went super simple. Medium rare at the most with a little salt and pepper - terrible. Very irony and not near as tender as I remember. Second steak attempt was marinated chops and the result was a little better, but not what I would call good. Obviously, I know meat will vary animal to animal, but this is about the worst I have had. Super strong iron flavor and pretty tough all around. Due to conditions, we were not able to let meat hang for more than 12 hours before it went to the processor who let it hang in the cooler for a day before cutting. Meat was well cared for on the mountain and the gutless method was successful. Any advice, tips or tricks would be much appreciated. Way too much work went into getting this animal for it not to be enjoyed at home. Thanks fellas. [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: svnmag
Today at 12:26 AM
Gasoline pump prices
Latest: Davy Crockett
Yesterday at 9:11 PM
Scheels Bismarck
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 8:36 PM
DUI Attorney
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 8:31 PM
J
Mandan Data center pushback
Latest: jer79
Yesterday at 8:29 PM
ESOX
Latest: SDMF
Yesterday at 8:24 PM
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: eyexer
Yesterday at 6:31 PM
SOLD
2007 Ford Taurus
Latest: Zogman
Yesterday at 5:03 PM
K-Drill Blade Sharpening Gone
Latest: Slappy
Tuesday at 12:02 PM
RAIN!!!!
Latest: KDM
Tuesday at 9:29 AM
Tailrace
Latest: MSA
Tuesday at 8:22 AM
L
Jap Beatles
Latest: LBrandt
Monday at 1:40 PM
N
Soybeans
Latest: ndlongshot
Monday at 1:35 PM
Guys with a Yeti....
Latest: johnr
Monday at 10:30 AM
Left Hand Remington Stocks
Latest: SupressYourself
Monday at 8:41 AM
Banks Stump Feeder
Latest: Shockwave
Saturday at 11:24 PM
FLOCK Cameras...Thoughts
Latest: Jiffy
Saturday at 9:51 PM
L
EHD is back..AGAIN!
Latest: LBrandt
Friday at 6:03 PM
D
Any youth hunter stories?
Latest: dsharp83
Friday at 12:20 PM
Sale
6.5 Creed Barrel - Savage
Latest: SupressYourself
Friday at 8:39 AM
Sale
4 Youth Model rifles
Latest: Lycanthrope
Sep 24, 2026
Friends of NDA
Forums
General
Recipes
Elk meat help, Recipes...
Top
Bottom