Entrepreneur, obama supporter, would have been future hillary supporter

DerHornen

Founding Member
Founding Member
DerHornen I think we are in agreement. There is one question that keeps banging around in my head. I know there is a limit to unemployment, but then you can talk to women who have been on it far longer than those limits. Are men cut off after the limit, but women with kids get to go on forever or what's the deal. The limits we hear about and the real world welfare don't compare. I suppose they count welfare and unemployment as two different things or something like that.

I'm curious about that too. I'm not familiar enough with those programs or how they're written to have a good answer. Maybe there are loopholes, or maybe the recipients can max out the programs that have limits and continue collecting from other programs that don't?

I'm not sure if unemployment benefits have a maximum lifetime limit or if the benefit can "reset" after a certain term of actually being employed. I think those programs are administrated through the states, so it might vary from state to state as well.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
4 kids later I can proudly say at no point have I had to indulge in anyone else paying my medical, dental, daycare, food bill, housing, or any payment of any kind. And when I say proudly that is exactly what I mean. It used to be a social shame to be on some sort of government assistance, now it seems to be a badge of honor.

I had a young kid working for me years back that was a staunch liberal/Obama supporter that was absolutely convinced that the care and welfare of his 2 kids was the responsibility of society, and his taking of other peoples money is what the USA was all about. I told him I prided myself on never having to go this route, and he of course claimed that me using the roads, and police, and any other public service meant I was a taker too. I had to let him go, as it was causing me health issues...haha

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm curious about that too. I'm not familiar enough with those programs or how they're written to have a good answer. Maybe there are loopholes, or maybe the recipients can max out the programs that have limits and continue collecting from other programs that don't?

I'm not sure if unemployment benefits have a maximum lifetime limit or if the benefit can "reset" after a certain term of actually being employed. I think those programs are administrated through the states, so it might vary from state to state as well.

Not sure about the welfare programs part of the question, but as far as unemployment goes, I think I do know enough to be dangerous. That being said..IMPO.. I do not believe whether you are male or female makes any difference in the amount of unemployment paid to you.. Some things to keep in mind:
Employers pay into unemployment and their rate is determined how many claims are paid out.
Usually, if you quit your job..resign..etc..you are NOT ELIGIBLE to collect unemployment..nor should you be.
If you are terminated for cause...ie..stealing, sexual harassment, etc. you may be denied unemployment..once again..IMPO you shouldn't get it if termination was for cause.
Generally, when a person is on unemployment payments, they do need to be actively looking for work and be ready, willing, and able to accept a job offer. ( I am sure being a part of a Union before going on unemployment may have different rules) but a person does have to be looking for work..duhhhhhhh
I don't believe there is a lifetime limit on how much a person can collect..well.. there is max number of weeks paid..but then I spose if a person gets terminated/laid off again at their next job they could collect the max amount of weeks from that job also.
At the end of the day...if a person is on unemployment..I believe the laws were intended for such persons to be actively looking for work and accepting a job offer. Of course there are many many many examples of folks content with living off someone else's dime and skirting the system. My .02.

Ragnar

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sometimes you don't need snopes or fact check, just pay attention to the world and you know that no Bush has ever been in the Senate.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 57
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19