Ft. Peck

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thinking about giving Fort Peck a try in August. This will be the first time fishing out there. Will be staying at the FT. Peck Marina/campgrounds. For those of you that fish it, what area's do you focus on? Not looking for your favorite spot, just a general idea on what is the "Normal late summer" patterns. But if it's like Sak this year, every person on the water can find fish!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Me neither. Ran into a guy at dakota tackle this spring that was from out there. He said rocky points (main lake structure) gets overlooked by a lot of people. Any they love bucktails out there. I know a guy who could tie a bunch up for you.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Me neither. Ran into a guy at dakota tackle this spring that was from out there. He said rocky points (main lake structure) gets overlooked by a lot of people. Any they love bucktails out there. I know a guy who could tie a bunch up for you.

How do you get enough deer tags to tie up any quantity of buck tails?

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bucktails?? Curious how they fish them. Just like you do any jig? Tip them with minners?

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last time I was there I caught a drum, multiple pike, carp, and a smallie on a bucktail jig. Not one walleye. What worked the best by far for eyes and much to my surprise was a 3/8 oz aspirin head jig with a 3" gulp(pink and white even). It's a much different game than at Sak. I believe this year is a high year in the water level rotation so work some points, especially the insides of them. Stay just outside the tree lines or your gear won't have a chance. A lot of people who fish the skunk, new town, van hook areas don't like peck because they are accustomed to putting on the spinner and crawler and having a limit of 16"er in the well and loading up in a hour or less. You have a real chance at 13# plus eyes at peck so if that doesn't keep you interested you better check your pulse. It's just is a little different work than Sak.

Skeeter85

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fish the edge of weeds. There's lot of them. 20 plus ft is we're you wil find the fish. Be careful out there. There are a few sunken islands out there with lots of trees just barely sticking out. Get a lakemaster chip for you hummingbird if you got one. I have been fishing th rock creek area for 7 years now and I almost hit three different islands this summer. We had our best luck with perch colored spinners and worms. It was ether a morning bit or an evening bit. Good luck. It always awesome fishing a new body of water.

cornman53

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fish Peck quite a bit on the dry arm. Usually in August you have hot temps and crystal clear water. Your best bet is early in the morning and late in the evening in low light conditions. I have caught them mid day but I usually find them in deep 25+ feet near even deeper drop offs. Key on rocky points and sunken islands. If its windy find the mud lines. I would recommend bottom bouncers with spinners or Mack's Smile blades and a supply of crawlers and leaches.

Good Luck. I will be there the week of the 8th hopefully.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fish Peck quite a bit on the dry arm. Usually in August you have hot temps and crystal clear water. Your best bet is early in the morning and late in the evening in low light conditions. I have caught them mid day but I usually find them in deep 25+ feet near even deeper drop offs. Key on rocky points and sunken islands. If its windy find the mud lines. I would recommend bottom bouncers with spinners or Mack's Smile blades and a supply of crawlers and leaches.

Good Luck. I will be there the week of the 8th hopefully.

Is there a place that a guy can order a good map from of all the bays, sunken islands, etc.? I've got a chip coming, but I still like looking at a map!

hardwaterdriller

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like others have said, what works at Sak, doesn't seem to work at Ft. Peck. I hardly have any luck with spinners and jigs. We will throw on musky cranks for northerns and we will pick up eyes as well. So now we usually just crank out there. We use the largest cranks we can find.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Peck is amazing. The lack of boats and big water make for lots of big fish.

cornman53

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there a place that a guy can order a good map from of all the bays, sunken islands, etc.? I've got a chip coming, but I still like looking at a map!

The marine dealer in Glasgow used to carry a nice set of maps and there was a bait shop in either Glasgow or Ft Peck that had one too. Mine are at the cabin at the lake so they don't do me a lot of good now. I have not seen a good electronic map of ft peck.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fish the dry arm go to spring Creek fish the flat in front of the bay last weekend me and my partner boated over 75 nice eaters in 2 days at the gov cup constant action don't know if they will still be there but it's a start

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 62
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19