How Long Before New Dog?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The right time to get a new pup, is when you find the "Right Pup".

That can mean a lot of things. Sire and Dam. A connection with the Sire/Dam's owners. A friend or acquaintance has a life-change and needs to simplify their life and plop a finished dog in your lap, or about 128729385797293587635923 other combinations of things.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I lost my girl dog three months ago and it was devastating. She was my best buddy. We have one dog left (10 year old lab), but he is "my wife's". Don't get me wrong, I love that old guy and he is great. When my girl died I told myself I wasn't interested in getting another dog.

Over the last couple weeks though, I have been getting the itch to look for another girl pup. I'm not replacing the old one, not at all, but I feel pretty guilty about wanting another one so fast. I've been researching blood trailing and would love to train a dog to do that since we hunt deer so dang much, but my old guy is "retired", so that will be a job for the next one.

My wife things I'm moving on too fast, but I'm not looking at it as moving on. Heck, I drove past the farmstead we got her last bird a few days back and I cried like a baby. It's just that there is something missing. The girl dog was "mine" so though everyone was sad, I don't feel like they notice the void as much as I am.

I suppose I'm just ranting here, but I'd like to know what you all think, or what experience you've had with getting another puppy after losing a dog.
From painful experience: You should already have a new pup. You'll never forget 'Ol Girl...the pup will absorb the pain--like a rotten little bastid:).

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Expectations may be something tough to deal with also. Had the perfect dog and knew would almost be impossible to duplicate. I wish I would have replaced my black lab a couple yrs after. Haven't yet, and its no fun hunting without anymore.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get back on your horse, it's hard losing our bestie,new pupper surely helps the sting iffin you have the time to start over, bonding with new pup,training,helps alot, new pup will keep you motivated and get you off the couch making new memories.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you are definitely going to get another dog.... some day, then i am with most of these guys. might as well make it today. having said that, potty training in the winter kind of sucks. you don't like going outside as much and i've seen puppies that pretty much refuse to when its -30 think middle of the night in the dead of winter when you hear it whining in its kennel or roust from its doggy bed. i've gotten 3 of my 4 between mid april and mid june. happy with that decision. the other was end of january. he turned out fine. but, it certainly was more work... or at least it seemed like it cause... winter sucks!

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
When my Golden started to go down hill I immediately went and got a new puppy. We had little kids at the time and thought it would make things easier.

I think the most important question is. Are you ready to train a new puppy? The comment about the other dog being your wife's dog makes me think she worked with it more when it was a pup then you did. Not saying there is anything wrong with that. We often forget the work that goes in to have a great best friend that will hunt and do the things we like.

The plus side this winter so far, looks like a great year to start traing!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88