What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
Fishing
Boat Fishing
Leadcore
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="reddevilwoodsman" data-source="post: 256501" data-attributes="member: 6118"><p>There are a lot of ways to rig leadcore reels and rods that will work for you. </p><p>This is what works for me. I've been fishing with leadcore for years and I've never found any reason to use backing like I've read. I use size 30 linecounter reels with 100 yards of 18 lb. old school leadcore (Mason brand, Cabela's brand etc. when it used to be available, now Bass Pro Magibraid brand...........there is no one best leadcore line) on each with an 8 foot leader of 15 lb. Power Pro attached to the leadcore by a small ball bearing swivel that will fit through my line guides if reeled in too far. The swivel eliminates twisted leadcore if a crankbait gets fouled and starts spinning. Twisted leadcore can be a mess. The leader material can be almost any braid, fluorocarbon or monofilament line...I just prefer Power Pro.</p><p>I use everything from 5 foot shorty rods to 10 ft. 6 in. rods and they all work well. I use fairly light action rods with soft tips to take the place of using a leader with stretch and I've never thought that I miss bites because of it.</p><p>I don't target suspend walleyes where I usually fish and all I do is target a depth where I'm marking fish, let out 30 ft. (or one color) of line for every 5 feet of depth until I'm at the target depth, troll at 2 mph and catch walleyes. It's really that easy.</p><p>I use both shallow and deep diving crankbaits with leadcore and really don't pay any attention to how deep they dive. If a crank bangs bottom, I just reel up 5 ft. at a time until it stops and make a mental note of it. Your crankbaits don't have to be at an exact depth to catch walleyes with leadcore but rather they just have to be in the fish zone. The walleyes will let you know what they want.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="reddevilwoodsman, post: 256501, member: 6118"] There are a lot of ways to rig leadcore reels and rods that will work for you. This is what works for me. I've been fishing with leadcore for years and I've never found any reason to use backing like I've read. I use size 30 linecounter reels with 100 yards of 18 lb. old school leadcore (Mason brand, Cabela's brand etc. when it used to be available, now Bass Pro Magibraid brand...........there is no one best leadcore line) on each with an 8 foot leader of 15 lb. Power Pro attached to the leadcore by a small ball bearing swivel that will fit through my line guides if reeled in too far. The swivel eliminates twisted leadcore if a crankbait gets fouled and starts spinning. Twisted leadcore can be a mess. The leader material can be almost any braid, fluorocarbon or monofilament line...I just prefer Power Pro. I use everything from 5 foot shorty rods to 10 ft. 6 in. rods and they all work well. I use fairly light action rods with soft tips to take the place of using a leader with stretch and I've never thought that I miss bites because of it. I don't target suspend walleyes where I usually fish and all I do is target a depth where I'm marking fish, let out 30 ft. (or one color) of line for every 5 feet of depth until I'm at the target depth, troll at 2 mph and catch walleyes. It's really that easy. I use both shallow and deep diving crankbaits with leadcore and really don't pay any attention to how deep they dive. If a crank bangs bottom, I just reel up 5 ft. at a time until it stops and make a mental note of it. Your crankbaits don't have to be at an exact depth to catch walleyes with leadcore but rather they just have to be in the fish zone. The walleyes will let you know what they want. [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
Having a bad day?
Latest: oaktackle
8 minutes ago
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: svnmag
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Makoti Lake, ND
Latest: bertmole75
Yesterday at 11:07 PM
How far can Paddlefish travel
Latest: bertmole75
Yesterday at 11:00 PM
P
Lotsa bots
Latest: Prairie Doggin'
Yesterday at 10:08 PM
Left Hand Remington Stocks
Latest: SupressYourself
Yesterday at 9:54 PM
An oddball.
Latest: goldenpaddle74
Yesterday at 9:30 PM
Walleye tour sodak.
Latest: goldenpaddle74
Yesterday at 9:27 PM
Metal roof or shingles?
Latest: eyexer
Yesterday at 9:07 PM
Food porn
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:23 PM
Oriska Rest Area Opens
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:22 PM
Twins
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:22 PM
Steak Knives?
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:21 PM
Facial Recognition Software &
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:20 PM
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:19 PM
new reel for all around use?
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:19 PM
EHD is back..AGAIN!
Latest: ridge_ferry
Yesterday at 7:43 PM
Librela injection
Latest: ridge_ferry
Yesterday at 7:40 PM
Generation X
Latest: KDM
Yesterday at 6:12 PM
Howdy All!
Latest: finnpike89
Yesterday at 6:05 PM
G
Scheels Bismarck
Latest: Griz
Yesterday at 5:58 PM
Friends of NDA
Forums
Fishing
Boat Fishing
Leadcore
Top
Bottom