leader lengths

jal1

Founding Member
Founding Member
what affects does leader length ( longer/shorter) have on the position of lures or bait while pulling lindy or bottom bouncers

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mrs johnr ties all of mine at about 5ft, I shorten them up if fishing weedy areas.
She can tie up a dozen in about 5 minutes, never knew she came from an Asian sweat shop. It has come in handy

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
All the harnesses I tied up last year were around 4 foot long. Most of the waters I fish are generally not clear. I see no point in going much longer because of this. I use florocarbon which sinks so in theory, a longer harness would probably run a little deeper then a shorter one (probably not much though).

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
In clear MN lakes they go as long as 12 feet. I never go much over 3 foot. Fishing river current you don't need anything longer than 15 inches to keep the bait from flailing all over the place.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run about 5 to 6 feet behind a BB on the river it is about a foot. If I am fishing close to or in the weeds I will drop it to about 2 feet.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tie all mine between 6-7 ft in length, and then shorten them if need be. I've had days where I've shortened some up to 18 inches. It's always easier to start long and shorten the length when needed than have to tie a long leader up in a bouncy boat when your buddy is whipping your tail and all you have 12-18 inch leaders in my opinion.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 132
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 49