Lower Unit leaking oil

jmkilber

Hey all, I'm illiterate when it comes to engines. I went out to get the boat ready for a fishing trip tomorrow and noticed that my lower unit is leaking some oil. Its a mercury outboard. I've attached a picture. The oil appears to be leaking out of a small hole close to the screw head for checking the oil level. I have circled the area in question on the attached photo. It didn't leak a lot of oil, but it left a three or four inch spot on the cement.

My question is, should I be concerned about using it this weekend before I get it checked out? I used it on Tuesday without issue and don't remember anything happening at the time, it could have been leaking already.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Attachments

20190725_193725_LI.jpg

jmkilber

I'm assuming I can't use it as I just went out and lowered the motor and the oil started to drain out of that hole. :(

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
there shouldn't be any oil coming from there. not even sure how that is even possible. what model merc is it.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
You indeed have a seal problem.

Depending on how confident you are about knowing how long its been leaking is the key to whether you can fish this weekend.

Like anything else, check the level of oil in the lower unit, top it off, and fish this weekend. At least, that's what I would do. And then I'd put a priority on replacing the seals next week.

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might be worth draining the lower unit oil and inspecting for water (will look milky). Replace with fresh oil and new gaskets on all the drain/fill screws. If you have never done this before it's not that hard. Recommend picking up a hand pump that attaches to the bottle (I believe Walmart has them as should any outboard dealer). Lower units have to be filled from the bottom up (pushes the air out). I'm sure their are plenty of YouTube videos out there on how to do this.

jmkilber

Thanks all, I took the boat in to Russ at Boatworks and he did essentially what you guys said. He checked for water, and there was some, and then drained it and replaced it. Sent me on my way for the weekend and then I'll take it back in to get seals checked and replaced.

Very appreciative of Russ to take a few minutes and get me going for the weekend!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88