What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
Hunting
Guns and Ammo
Not concentric
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="PrairieGhost" data-source="post: 178920" data-attributes="member: 704"><p>I think I have been spoiled with Black Hills Match brass. I load it many times with no problem. Now I have discovered two problems with my Hornady Creedmoor brass. One it's not concentric. Most dies center the exterior of the neck. The only dies I know that center the bore of the brass are the Lee Collet Dies. So I now have two more sets of those in 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. First punch the primers and center the neck with the Lee, then turn the neck, then resize with the RCBS Neck Bushing die at .289 inches. Good to go. </p><p></p><p>Kurt mentioned he was annealing. My bullets were seating so tough the other day they left a dent in the ogive of ELD-X bullets. Neck tension was the problem and that can be solved two ways. A neck bushing die or annealing. I chose to do both since necks turn easy of annealing. Kurt mentioned time involved and he is right so I changed my technique today. Faster and better annealing was my goal.</p><p></p><p>Everyone has a couple of those old Maglight AA flashlights laying around. Cut off the back so when you drop a case in it it will expose the portion of the case you want to heat, and protect a portion that you don't want to heat. Drill a hole in the back and drive in a screw. Then cut the screw head off so you can chuck it up in a cordless drill. This lets you rotate the brass in the flame until desired temperature is met then drop into cold water. Small diameter or thin necks require seven seconds while thick necks like Federal require 10 seconds. Don't expect a deep color change unless you use the chemical indicator. </p><p></p><p>Remember lightly annealed is better than to much. Heat it to much and you soften the brass to far towards the base which can turn your favorite rifle into a hand grenade. Pics to follow.[ATTACH]15503[/ATTACH][ATTACH]15504[/ATTACH]</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="PrairieGhost, post: 178920, member: 704"] I think I have been spoiled with Black Hills Match brass. I load it many times with no problem. Now I have discovered two problems with my Hornady Creedmoor brass. One it's not concentric. Most dies center the exterior of the neck. The only dies I know that center the bore of the brass are the Lee Collet Dies. So I now have two more sets of those in 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. First punch the primers and center the neck with the Lee, then turn the neck, then resize with the RCBS Neck Bushing die at .289 inches. Good to go. Kurt mentioned he was annealing. My bullets were seating so tough the other day they left a dent in the ogive of ELD-X bullets. Neck tension was the problem and that can be solved two ways. A neck bushing die or annealing. I chose to do both since necks turn easy of annealing. Kurt mentioned time involved and he is right so I changed my technique today. Faster and better annealing was my goal. Everyone has a couple of those old Maglight AA flashlights laying around. Cut off the back so when you drop a case in it it will expose the portion of the case you want to heat, and protect a portion that you don't want to heat. Drill a hole in the back and drive in a screw. Then cut the screw head off so you can chuck it up in a cordless drill. This lets you rotate the brass in the flame until desired temperature is met then drop into cold water. Small diameter or thin necks require seven seconds while thick necks like Federal require 10 seconds. Don't expect a deep color change unless you use the chemical indicator. Remember lightly annealed is better than to much. Heat it to much and you soften the brass to far towards the base which can turn your favorite rifle into a hand grenade. Pics to follow.[ATTACH=CONFIG]15503._xfImport[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15504._xfImport[/ATTACH] [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: svnmag
Today at 12:26 AM
Gasoline pump prices
Latest: Davy Crockett
Yesterday at 9:11 PM
Scheels Bismarck
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 8:36 PM
DUI Attorney
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 8:31 PM
J
Mandan Data center pushback
Latest: jer79
Yesterday at 8:29 PM
ESOX
Latest: SDMF
Yesterday at 8:24 PM
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: eyexer
Yesterday at 6:31 PM
SOLD
2007 Ford Taurus
Latest: Zogman
Yesterday at 5:03 PM
K-Drill Blade Sharpening Gone
Latest: Slappy
Tuesday at 12:02 PM
RAIN!!!!
Latest: KDM
Tuesday at 9:29 AM
Tailrace
Latest: MSA
Tuesday at 8:22 AM
L
Jap Beatles
Latest: LBrandt
Monday at 1:40 PM
N
Soybeans
Latest: ndlongshot
Monday at 1:35 PM
Guys with a Yeti....
Latest: johnr
Monday at 10:30 AM
Left Hand Remington Stocks
Latest: SupressYourself
Monday at 8:41 AM
Banks Stump Feeder
Latest: Shockwave
Saturday at 11:24 PM
FLOCK Cameras...Thoughts
Latest: Jiffy
Saturday at 9:51 PM
L
EHD is back..AGAIN!
Latest: LBrandt
Friday at 6:03 PM
D
Any youth hunter stories?
Latest: dsharp83
Friday at 12:20 PM
Sale
6.5 Creed Barrel - Savage
Latest: SupressYourself
Friday at 8:39 AM
Sale
4 Youth Model rifles
Latest: Lycanthrope
Sep 24, 2026
Friends of NDA
Forums
Hunting
Guns and Ammo
Not concentric
Top
Bottom