What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
Fishing
Gear and Accessories
Boat Talk
Possible prop change?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="SLE" data-source="post: 348220" data-attributes="member: 3889"><p>Well, the reason it's doggy is your 600-700 rpms short of the max rated rpm for that engine (6,400 rpms if I have it right). Essentially your lugging that engine. You probably need to be running a 18P prop. Your top end speed will likely stay about the same but the hole shot and mid range will be markedly better. The Bravo FS, Tempest, Rev 4, or Enertia are all good wheels. They however, all run a little different rpm for the pitch being equal. If the pitch is the same, the Enerita and Bravo will run about the same, the Tempest will run about 100 rpms or so less, while the Rev 4 will run atleast 200 rpms less.</p><p></p><p>With the above mentioned, The Rev 4 is absolutely unbelievable in terms of low speed planing and it's ability to lift the entire boat. The control it provides is like having 4wd. The down side is it comes at the cost of top end speed as it's a really big wheel and is hard to turn. Not sure I would recommend it for the 4 cyl verado as those are bit weak to start with and turning a tough prop probably isn't the best combo. The Tempest is a tried and true winner and typically a very fast prop however they don't offer alot of stern lift, more of a bow lifting prop. My guess is it will offer too much bow lift, especially since the nose of those Lund 186s aren't that heavy. I ran one on my 186FSX Yar craft and it was very fast but I had no bow control and couldn't pin the bow down into the waves unless I was running almost 30 mph. That unfortunately doesn't work well in ND. The Bravo is going to be a good mix between the Rev and the Tempest. Maybe a tick slower than the tempest, but it turns easier and provides decent stern lift. Not quite as good of handling as the Rev 4 but much better than the Tempest. I would think a 18P bravo would be good match. The Enertia might be a decent fit also, I only have experience running a 22P and the issue with that was that the higher the pitch, the smaller the diameter so on that particular boat it wasn't a good combo as I ran the engine at elevated heights for best performance and the smaller diameter didn't hold the water, that was also me trying to push a 19 ft boat into the 60 mph range. I also have a enertia on our Tri-toon which has been great, but that's a whole different animal only being a 13P and a giant big ear diameter pontoon prop.</p><p></p><p>The prop game doesn't have to be that expensive. If your patient you can find them used on bisman, walleyecentral, and ebay and sell them on the same places just the same. I think one year I went through 6 or 8 different props and I didn't end up out more than the cost for shipping on any of them. just make sure they haven't been rework or rebuilt, there's more hacks out there than there are guys that really know what they are doing. you can also check with you local marine dealerships as mercury does have a prop trial program however up here I haven't heard of any that enroll in it.</p><p></p><p>last thing, Trim tabs are a great tool but I don't like when there used as a bandaid to mask other boat setup issues. Get your propping correct and then add the trim tabs if you still want more boat control. I won't own another boat without but I want them more for rough water performance than for another reason.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="SLE, post: 348220, member: 3889"] Well, the reason it's doggy is your 600-700 rpms short of the max rated rpm for that engine (6,400 rpms if I have it right). Essentially your lugging that engine. You probably need to be running a 18P prop. Your top end speed will likely stay about the same but the hole shot and mid range will be markedly better. The Bravo FS, Tempest, Rev 4, or Enertia are all good wheels. They however, all run a little different rpm for the pitch being equal. If the pitch is the same, the Enerita and Bravo will run about the same, the Tempest will run about 100 rpms or so less, while the Rev 4 will run atleast 200 rpms less. With the above mentioned, The Rev 4 is absolutely unbelievable in terms of low speed planing and it's ability to lift the entire boat. The control it provides is like having 4wd. The down side is it comes at the cost of top end speed as it's a really big wheel and is hard to turn. Not sure I would recommend it for the 4 cyl verado as those are bit weak to start with and turning a tough prop probably isn't the best combo. The Tempest is a tried and true winner and typically a very fast prop however they don't offer alot of stern lift, more of a bow lifting prop. My guess is it will offer too much bow lift, especially since the nose of those Lund 186s aren't that heavy. I ran one on my 186FSX Yar craft and it was very fast but I had no bow control and couldn't pin the bow down into the waves unless I was running almost 30 mph. That unfortunately doesn't work well in ND. The Bravo is going to be a good mix between the Rev and the Tempest. Maybe a tick slower than the tempest, but it turns easier and provides decent stern lift. Not quite as good of handling as the Rev 4 but much better than the Tempest. I would think a 18P bravo would be good match. The Enertia might be a decent fit also, I only have experience running a 22P and the issue with that was that the higher the pitch, the smaller the diameter so on that particular boat it wasn't a good combo as I ran the engine at elevated heights for best performance and the smaller diameter didn't hold the water, that was also me trying to push a 19 ft boat into the 60 mph range. I also have a enertia on our Tri-toon which has been great, but that's a whole different animal only being a 13P and a giant big ear diameter pontoon prop. The prop game doesn't have to be that expensive. If your patient you can find them used on bisman, walleyecentral, and ebay and sell them on the same places just the same. I think one year I went through 6 or 8 different props and I didn't end up out more than the cost for shipping on any of them. just make sure they haven't been rework or rebuilt, there's more hacks out there than there are guys that really know what they are doing. you can also check with you local marine dealerships as mercury does have a prop trial program however up here I haven't heard of any that enroll in it. last thing, Trim tabs are a great tool but I don't like when there used as a bandaid to mask other boat setup issues. Get your propping correct and then add the trim tabs if you still want more boat control. I won't own another boat without but I want them more for rough water performance than for another reason. [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
Having a bad day?
Latest: oaktackle
Today at 12:55 AM
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: svnmag
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Makoti Lake, ND
Latest: bertmole75
Yesterday at 11:07 PM
How far can Paddlefish travel
Latest: bertmole75
Yesterday at 11:00 PM
P
Lotsa bots
Latest: Prairie Doggin'
Yesterday at 10:08 PM
Left Hand Remington Stocks
Latest: SupressYourself
Yesterday at 9:54 PM
An oddball.
Latest: goldenpaddle74
Yesterday at 9:30 PM
Walleye tour sodak.
Latest: goldenpaddle74
Yesterday at 9:27 PM
Metal roof or shingles?
Latest: eyexer
Yesterday at 9:07 PM
Food porn
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:23 PM
Oriska Rest Area Opens
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:22 PM
Twins
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:22 PM
Steak Knives?
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:21 PM
Facial Recognition Software &
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:20 PM
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:19 PM
new reel for all around use?
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:19 PM
EHD is back..AGAIN!
Latest: ridge_ferry
Yesterday at 7:43 PM
Librela injection
Latest: ridge_ferry
Yesterday at 7:40 PM
Generation X
Latest: KDM
Yesterday at 6:12 PM
Howdy All!
Latest: finnpike89
Yesterday at 6:05 PM
G
Scheels Bismarck
Latest: Griz
Yesterday at 5:58 PM
Friends of NDA
Forums
Fishing
Gear and Accessories
Boat Talk
Possible prop change?
Top
Bottom