Rabbits in the garden

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dog hair does not work. Wife tried it last year around her flowers around the house and the rabbits could have cared less.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the rotten eggs based "Deer Away" spray or whatever the various brands are DOES work on gardens but applying it really sucks - almost hurl-worthy during application but once it dries it's not nearly as bad as when first applied

but every rain storm requires re-applying. boo. hiss.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
About 2 years ago came out to my garden had 6 rabbits sleeping around the plants, under the plants burping I'm sure. Yea rabbit eradication started that day. don't see them sleeping in the garden anymore :;:howdypellets took care of most of them, then the owl moved in and the rabbit eating cat. Now I have some serious rabbit birth control, nature style.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't imagine working at that deer repellent factory.

Think it's worse than a potato processing plant? I've been in a few and I have NO IDEA how those people can work in that stench. I would have to come to work with my nostrils stuffed with Vaseline. ;:;barf

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife went out to the garden this morning and all our lettuce was eaten off, none of the other plants have been touched yet. Garden is fenced in all around with no sign of vermin getting in. Couple years ago when this happened I put up the trail cam and got some pics of a woodchuck mowing down the lettuce, he wouldn't touch anything else. I put the camera up again today to see if it's him again. Problem is last time he came at random times during the day, I tried waiting for him a few times before to shoot him but never laid eyes on him. Set up a live trap in the middle of the garden with some fruit and lettuce as bait, ended up getting 2 skunks and no woodchuck. I still don't know how the skunks or the woodchuck got inside the fence.

Anybody know any traps that work well for woodchucks?

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ruger 10-22 with variable scope.... Well worth the the $ I paid for it ten years ago! Birds, gophers, rabbits, etc. are usually toast within 0.25sec

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had to deal with two groundhogs too. They are quite persnickety when it comes to what they mow down - but man can they go when they decide to eat something. Two years ago one ate every bean plant right to the nub in a single day - total wipe-out. He's no longer with us.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
the rotten eggs based "Deer Away" spray or whatever the various brands are DOES work on gardens but applying it really sucks - almost hurl-worthy during application but once it dries it's not nearly as bad as when first applied

but every rain storm requires re-applying. boo. hiss.

Get some chopped garlic from the store, soak 1/4 c of this in 1 cup water and 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol. Strain out the garlic chunks after a day or so. Filter the water through a coffee filter to get fine particles out. Mix 1/4 cup liquid with 2-4 cups of water in blender with 2 egg whites. Spray this on your plants occasionally (once every week or two, depending on rainfall), and it will keep deer/rabbits away. You can add other stuff to the soak with the garlic, like pepper flakes to help with repellant properties.

bowcarp

Founding Member
Founding Member
believe it or not plant marigolds around the garden keeps them out of ours , skeeters don't like them either

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to try the animal b gon pellets right now. They're sprinkled around it right now and I have a trail camera set up. If this doesn't work, I'm climbing the tree and waiting. Dropping in, ninja style.

CJR

Founding Member
Founding Member
Arrow with a judo point. Your neighbors will never know and arrow isn't going to travel/bounce anywhere.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 136
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51