Scope base mounting ?

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I was mounting some bases on my new toy last night in the garage and lost one of the base mounting screws. I have found on the net that it is a 6-48 screw but I can't find anything on the length? The bases are getting mounted on a nosler patriot which are the same bases as a Remington model 700. So just wondering if any of you gun nuts know what length of screws I need to order?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
A good hardware store might have what you need. Ive gotten replacements at ACE in bismarck in the past. Else contact whoever made the bases to find out what they send with them. They might send you new screws for free. Hunting places seem to have MUCH BETTER customer service than most other industries do....

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
yup, You should be able to find them locally , If they are slotted screws do yourself a big favor and replace them with allen wrench style . Screws and mounts should never be used in the same sentence when talking about guns.

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
yup, You should be able to find them locally , If they are slotted screws do yourself a big favor and replace them with allen wrench style . Screws and mounts should never be used in the same sentence when talking about guns.

Theyre leupold std bases with Torx "mounting hardware". Is that better than screws? Haha

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I was mounting some bases on my new toy last night in the garage and lost one of the base mounting screws. I have found on the net that it is a 6-48 screw but I can't find anything on the length? The bases are getting mounted on a nosler patriot which are the same bases as a Remington model 700. So just wondering if any of you gun nuts know what length of screws I need to order?

You can't measure one of the others?

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes this is an option also. Just don't know if I trust my measuring skills to the 100th of an inch but I'm sure I could get it close enough to narrow my options down. I think I'll just bring one of the others in with me when I go looking for someone that has them. Just was wondering if anyone knew the length just off the top of their head for some odd reason.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
any Scheels or gun shop should have a drawer full of oddlings and hook you up for an outrageous buck or two

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I once purchased a used optic that was missing a screw. Couldn't find the replacement online so I called the manufacturer. They mailed out a whole new set the next day, free of charge.

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was going to give elmers school glue a try first but if that doesn't hold which I don't know why it wouldn't I'll give the gorilla tape a go.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gorilla tape dudeThumbs Up

I was channel surfing and came across one of those Alaskan shows last night. Two guys, and a guy and wife were hunting an island for deer. First the wife has pressure on the trigger when she takes the safe off and shoots past the husbands ear. Then I notice he has the barrel and forearm duckt taped together. Even when many yards apart they scream at each other "firing" before taking a shot. I guess they only wanted to harvest stupid deer.
Over the years I have kept things and I have a film container (if you can remember what those are) full of all types of firearms screws. Mostly the little ones you take out of a rifle before attaching your mounts. Every once in a while it comes in handy. I guess I fibbed about the film canister, I just remembered I switched to a larger jar because I added a Timney trigger for a Remington to the catch all.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are short screws in the front base and longer screws in the rear. Call Leupold, tell them which one you need and they'll mail it out to you.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 255
  • This month: 216
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 98
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 71