Slug Gun Discussion

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since you can't cross Canada with a handgun so bought an 870 Turkey Special for a trip to Alaska. It has a 21 inch barrel, comes with an extra full turkey choke, sling swivels. And a scope rail. Very good to 100 yards with a cylinder bore compliance choke and a Burris Fastfire III. Good equal to minute of deer chest.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've heard from several folks I respect who have recommended the Brenneke and Rotweil slugs for ammo. Seems to be about an even split between smoothbore/rifled slugs and rifled barrels. I'm currently sniffing around for barrels and scope mounts, but haven't set right down on what I want to do yet. Thanks a bunch guys for the info. I really appreciate the insights. Regardless of what I end up doing, it WILL be fun!!

Look foward to the story line. If I was closer, I'd give you my BPS to shoot for comparison. Sabots don't hammer the shoulder like the Brenneke/Rots

sbe2

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shot truckloads of deer in MN when the zone i hunted in was a slug only zone. The last slug gun i had was a savage 210 with a normal 3-9x40 scope and shot the Winchester or Hornady 385 grain sabot slugs. At 100 yards that gun would shoot under an inch and the longest shot I ever made on a deer was 200 yards. They hit like a hammer and work well but tend to recoil worse than any rifle I have ever shot.

Savage also makes a 20 gauge version of the same rifle that I hear good things about.

I am not normally a big savage guy but these slug guns they have just shoot.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I actually shot both the 12 and 20 at the range and found the 20 was more accurate on a consistent basis so when that route.

Apres

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hunted in MN with slugs for 20yrs and taken 20+ deer, and have seen a ton more shot between the 8-10 guys in our party. Couple observations for you based on what I've seen. Semi-autos aren't that reliable too many things to go wrong, go with a pump or bolt. I use a cheap Mossberg 500 with smoothbore and open sights shooting the cheap Winchester super x slugs in 2 3/4" I read a test somewhere a long time ago that they were more accurate than any of the more expensive ones which I was using, switched and have stuck with them. I can hit a paper plate at 100yds everytime standing leaning against a tree and more often then not inside 4-5" My best friend uses an 870 could shoot just as good with the 3" rem slugs, but his stand overlooks an open field so he went with a new rifled barrel, sabots, and a scope last year. can hit 4" at 200 yds with a rest, and dropped one in it's tracks last year at 180. A lot of the older guys are shooting 20ga because of the recoil and they seem to be just as accurate if not flatter shooting. If I switch it up next year I would go with a 20 ga with a quality red dot that shows your point of impact at all angles (can't remember the term for that), smooth bore with a slug that groups less then 5" at 100yds propped against a tree. Anything more then that's overkill for me. I've also shot 3 in ND with it before I bought a rifle, from 60-90ish yards I've found it's fairly easy to get within 80-90yds if you take your time, which is all the closer I need to be with it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88