sweetcorn - is it time yet?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Corn seaon has been the best I've seen in years,local farm hand picks roatation every 4 or 5 days,super sweet,I like the smaller kernals myself,super tender and super sweet.Our sweet corn season is winding down now,geese will be in the stubble soon.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep - corn everywhere and all very good

the heirloom tomatoes have been fantastic as well

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
53e6c2cd34cf0319810b2e1692352569.jpg

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Me thinks cooking corn isn't a science but done right will prevail over boiled corn on the cob which tends to lose flavor and gets mushy.,steam corn pops when you bite into it and stays sweet and full of flavor.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://youtu.be/RzYtMeIFH8o

this is the only way we do corn the last few years

I never thought the microwave was good for cooking anything (as opposed to re-heating)

I was so wrong

the "zero silk" part is the best

also - we trim most of the tassel back somewhat (leave an inch out front) because it dries out, breaks off, and craps up the microwave

- - - Updated - - -

8 minutes seems insane but it's perfect

Last edited:

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://youtu.be/RzYtMeIFH8o

this is the only way we do corn the last few years

I never thought the microwave was good for cooking anything (as opposed to re-heating)

I was so wrong

the no silk part is the best

also - we trim most of the tassel back somewhat (leave an inch out front) because it dries out, breaks off, and craps up the microwave

- - - Updated - - -

8 minutes seems insane but it's perfect

Dumb question: after you microwave it is it fully cooked or just nice and clean so you can put it in the boiling water to actually cook?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dumb question: after you microwave it is it fully cooked or just nice and clean so you can put it in the boiling water to actually cook?

it's totally done - enjoy

it's freakin miraculous

if cooking for a group just leave the husks intact, store in a side container until the others are done - dehusk right before serving - they stay hot in nature's cozy until you're ready

- - - Updated - - -

it's awesome for a couple people or a quick snack

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife found a recipe on Facebook that I like. Put 6 to 10 cobs in a pan, put enough water in the pan to float the corn, then take corn out, add 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved, add 1 stick of butter, then bring to a boil. Put corn in and boil for 10 to 15 minuets.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
We just wrapped up 80 dozen canning. I'd say it's ready

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man tikka,what a chore! maybe a good recipe for field corn but surely not young tender sweet corn,oh i've tried the add sugar to boiling water and such,but the old timmers I stumble across in sodak and neb during hunting season cook their corn the same way.

Inch of water in a pot,bring to a boil,put ears in bring back to boil which takes about 1 minute,cover and turn the stove off,as long as the corn isn't over ripe it comes out perfect.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I bet its a large family thing and every household takes its share home.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Blanched and in the process of packaging about 25 dozen cobs this evening. I love sweet corn, but I'll sure be glad when the last package is in the freezer.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Harvested my first tomato last night, other than the little cherry type ones, put it in the fridge to get cold and eat today. My wife thinks I am an idiot for wanting my maters to be cold. All my potato plants turned brown over the last week, I think my watering scheme was too often but not enough volume. Or the weeds won... Really found some good zucchini disposal methods, sauteed with onions in bacon grease and made into cheesy au gratin, it is a lot of cheese so can't really f it up.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
2018-08-10 11.50.17.jpg

we (galwhofishes) cuts all ours off raw, then the raw cut corn goes into big baking pans with cream, salt, butter, etc. to be cooked about 75%

We cool it, stir to distribute buttery chunks, then vacuum pack single meal servings into bags. ($0.04 cent per bag chamber vac bags)

the bags go right from freezer into boiling water to heat prior to serving

- - - Updated - - -

most people recoil these days at the thought of "cream corn" from a can - and I know why - it's not even close to homemade

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We do about the same as GWF and its GREAT. Not cost effective with all the butter and cream but nothing comes close for flavor. Ring of deer sausage, some mashed potatoes and our creamed corn for gravy tis our favorite comfort food.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
ha ha ha

hamburger prices aren't real cost effective vs. soy burgers either but having had both I'm shelling out the big bucks for the beef

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37