What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
General
General Discussion
Technology in the outdoors- where is the line?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Traxion" data-source="post: 313393" data-attributes="member: 983"><p><a href="https://www.gohunt.com/read/news/update-on-potential-arizona-trail-camera-ban#gs.oostkr" target="_blank">https://www.gohunt.com/read/news/update-on-potential-arizona-trail-camera-ban#gs.oostkr</a></p><p></p><p>I recently read this article about AZ possibly banning trail cameras. Much of it surrounds camera use around man made water sources. Limited water means pretty easy locations to scout. Some have compared it to baiting, but that goes a little far to me. But, I've seen the same thing in SD for elk. The known springs and water sources usually have multiple cameras around them. </p><p></p><p>It got me thinking a bit about the technology we use in hunting and fishing. Trail cameras are incredible right now. Instant photos sent to your phone. Now, you still have to be out there to kill the critter, and have the skills to do so. But is a real time trail camera photo any different that me flying a drone over a location a half mile away? </p><p></p><p>And with fishing, our sonar technology is crazy. Side imaging and now the live imaging have really changed the game. I've not experienced the Panoptix/Livescope stuff other than YouTube, but it is pretty incredible. A guy fishing crappies was literally casting at a location as the fish were moving. He could cast to where they were based on the tree and it was nuts to see. Is it fishing or a video game? </p><p></p><p>Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing anyone who has a live camera or Panoptix (I'd love a Garmin in particular). But, at what point is technology significantly changing the outdoors in a negative way. I know I could argue trail cameras have been a positive for me as it gets me out and enjoying the preseason more. Our gear is getting better and better, we're more comfortable than ever in the field. We can shoot farther and cast further. I think for me fly fishing is fun in that minus your gear, it's still putting a fuzzy something in front of a fish. No sonar, just an educated guess on fish location and a well placed cast. Not that we should all go back to long bows and muzzleloaders!</p><p></p><p>Just thought it would be an interesting discussion. Where is the line?</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Traxion, post: 313393, member: 983"] [url]https://www.gohunt.com/read/news/update-on-potential-arizona-trail-camera-ban#gs.oostkr[/url] I recently read this article about AZ possibly banning trail cameras. Much of it surrounds camera use around man made water sources. Limited water means pretty easy locations to scout. Some have compared it to baiting, but that goes a little far to me. But, I've seen the same thing in SD for elk. The known springs and water sources usually have multiple cameras around them. It got me thinking a bit about the technology we use in hunting and fishing. Trail cameras are incredible right now. Instant photos sent to your phone. Now, you still have to be out there to kill the critter, and have the skills to do so. But is a real time trail camera photo any different that me flying a drone over a location a half mile away? And with fishing, our sonar technology is crazy. Side imaging and now the live imaging have really changed the game. I've not experienced the Panoptix/Livescope stuff other than YouTube, but it is pretty incredible. A guy fishing crappies was literally casting at a location as the fish were moving. He could cast to where they were based on the tree and it was nuts to see. Is it fishing or a video game? Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing anyone who has a live camera or Panoptix (I'd love a Garmin in particular). But, at what point is technology significantly changing the outdoors in a negative way. I know I could argue trail cameras have been a positive for me as it gets me out and enjoying the preseason more. Our gear is getting better and better, we're more comfortable than ever in the field. We can shoot farther and cast further. I think for me fly fishing is fun in that minus your gear, it's still putting a fuzzy something in front of a fish. No sonar, just an educated guess on fish location and a well placed cast. Not that we should all go back to long bows and muzzleloaders! Just thought it would be an interesting discussion. Where is the line? [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
Having a bad day?
Latest: oaktackle
Today at 12:55 AM
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: svnmag
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Makoti Lake, ND
Latest: bertmole75
Yesterday at 11:07 PM
How far can Paddlefish travel
Latest: bertmole75
Yesterday at 11:00 PM
P
Lotsa bots
Latest: Prairie Doggin'
Yesterday at 10:08 PM
Left Hand Remington Stocks
Latest: SupressYourself
Yesterday at 9:54 PM
An oddball.
Latest: goldenpaddle74
Yesterday at 9:30 PM
Walleye tour sodak.
Latest: goldenpaddle74
Yesterday at 9:27 PM
Metal roof or shingles?
Latest: eyexer
Yesterday at 9:07 PM
Food porn
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:23 PM
Oriska Rest Area Opens
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:22 PM
Twins
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:22 PM
Steak Knives?
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:21 PM
Facial Recognition Software &
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:20 PM
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:19 PM
new reel for all around use?
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:19 PM
EHD is back..AGAIN!
Latest: ridge_ferry
Yesterday at 7:43 PM
Librela injection
Latest: ridge_ferry
Yesterday at 7:40 PM
Generation X
Latest: KDM
Yesterday at 6:12 PM
Howdy All!
Latest: finnpike89
Yesterday at 6:05 PM
G
Scheels Bismarck
Latest: Griz
Yesterday at 5:58 PM
Friends of NDA
Forums
General
General Discussion
Technology in the outdoors- where is the line?
Top
Bottom