What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
General
General Discussion
Technology in the outdoors- where is the line?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Duckslayer100" data-source="post: 313396" data-attributes="member: 1485"><p>I feel there's going to be a line drawn/crossed with advancements in fish finders. I realize that's a broken record, as ever since the invention of the "depth finder" people have been crying foul and lamenting that their fishing waters would soon be fished out. </p><p></p><p>I admit I felt that way a bit when underwater cameras became popular, but as they've firmly seated themselves as a tool in the toolbox, it's safe to say they are fairly limited in usefulness and don't necessarily cause fish to jump in your boat. </p><p></p><p>HOWEVER...I will say the new generation of live "radar" fish finders is borderline. Watching how some anglers are able to scan a water body from a single point, and basically get a blinking beacon on a school of fish 60 or 80 feet from the hole, seems as close to "cheating" as you can get. </p><p></p><p>The obvious factor here is the expense of these units firmly plants them on the outskirts of most Average Joe Fisherman's budget. However, as this technology and the components become cheaper, no doubt they'll someday be in line with our standard flashers today and be available to just about anyone. </p><p></p><p>I can't imagine a North Dakota slough lasting long with even a handful of guys outfitted with those kinds of units.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Duckslayer100, post: 313396, member: 1485"] I feel there's going to be a line drawn/crossed with advancements in fish finders. I realize that's a broken record, as ever since the invention of the "depth finder" people have been crying foul and lamenting that their fishing waters would soon be fished out. I admit I felt that way a bit when underwater cameras became popular, but as they've firmly seated themselves as a tool in the toolbox, it's safe to say they are fairly limited in usefulness and don't necessarily cause fish to jump in your boat. HOWEVER...I will say the new generation of live "radar" fish finders is borderline. Watching how some anglers are able to scan a water body from a single point, and basically get a blinking beacon on a school of fish 60 or 80 feet from the hole, seems as close to "cheating" as you can get. The obvious factor here is the expense of these units firmly plants them on the outskirts of most Average Joe Fisherman's budget. However, as this technology and the components become cheaper, no doubt they'll someday be in line with our standard flashers today and be available to just about anyone. I can't imagine a North Dakota slough lasting long with even a handful of guys outfitted with those kinds of units. [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
Having a bad day?
Latest: oaktackle
Today at 12:55 AM
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: svnmag
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Makoti Lake, ND
Latest: bertmole75
Yesterday at 11:07 PM
How far can Paddlefish travel
Latest: bertmole75
Yesterday at 11:00 PM
P
Lotsa bots
Latest: Prairie Doggin'
Yesterday at 10:08 PM
Left Hand Remington Stocks
Latest: SupressYourself
Yesterday at 9:54 PM
An oddball.
Latest: goldenpaddle74
Yesterday at 9:30 PM
Walleye tour sodak.
Latest: goldenpaddle74
Yesterday at 9:27 PM
Metal roof or shingles?
Latest: eyexer
Yesterday at 9:07 PM
Food porn
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:23 PM
Oriska Rest Area Opens
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:22 PM
Twins
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:22 PM
Steak Knives?
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:21 PM
Facial Recognition Software &
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:20 PM
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:19 PM
new reel for all around use?
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:19 PM
EHD is back..AGAIN!
Latest: ridge_ferry
Yesterday at 7:43 PM
Librela injection
Latest: ridge_ferry
Yesterday at 7:40 PM
Generation X
Latest: KDM
Yesterday at 6:12 PM
Howdy All!
Latest: finnpike89
Yesterday at 6:05 PM
G
Scheels Bismarck
Latest: Griz
Yesterday at 5:58 PM
Friends of NDA
Forums
General
General Discussion
Technology in the outdoors- where is the line?
Top
Bottom