What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
General
General Discussion
Vanguard 257 Weatherby Magnum
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="SDMF" data-source="post: 410410" data-attributes="member: 412"><p>I'm a big fan of mono-metal projectiles @ 257Wby type speeds on big-game. I don't like "splashy" projectiles for big game, especially not @ 257 Wby velocity. Pretty much everything with a lead core is "splashy" @ 257Wby velocity.</p><p></p><p>There's newer projectiles available than when I initially worked things up for my 257Wby, but, when I was looking, I couldn't find a ballistic advantage over 100gn. The velocity loss due to extra weight wasn't enough BC/ballistic gain to give up the velocity advantage of 100's. It's been 15yrs, there's certainly stuff that I haven't considered. Give or take, you're going to be limited to 120gn projectiles @ the top end due to the factory 1:10 twist.</p><p></p><p>Regarding stocks in no particular order:</p><p></p><p>Manners, McMillan, Stocky's, AG Composites, OutKast Arms, Bell and Carlson.</p><p></p><p>OutKast is the guys who used to work for Melvin Forbes @ NULA I believe are $750 for a re-stock, but, that includes a full-length bedding job from a bunch of folks who are really good at it.</p><p></p><p>Regarding triggers, the only aftermarket I've ever used that I didn't like was Rifle Basix. Timmy seems to probably be the easiest solution from an availability standpoint and they make a trigger that's easy to get into the 2.5-3# range safely. You might be able to adjust them lower, but, that's where I stop for my own uses.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="SDMF, post: 410410, member: 412"] I'm a big fan of mono-metal projectiles @ 257Wby type speeds on big-game. I don't like "splashy" projectiles for big game, especially not @ 257 Wby velocity. Pretty much everything with a lead core is "splashy" @ 257Wby velocity. There's newer projectiles available than when I initially worked things up for my 257Wby, but, when I was looking, I couldn't find a ballistic advantage over 100gn. The velocity loss due to extra weight wasn't enough BC/ballistic gain to give up the velocity advantage of 100's. It's been 15yrs, there's certainly stuff that I haven't considered. Give or take, you're going to be limited to 120gn projectiles @ the top end due to the factory 1:10 twist. Regarding stocks in no particular order: Manners, McMillan, Stocky's, AG Composites, OutKast Arms, Bell and Carlson. OutKast is the guys who used to work for Melvin Forbes @ NULA I believe are $750 for a re-stock, but, that includes a full-length bedding job from a bunch of folks who are really good at it. Regarding triggers, the only aftermarket I've ever used that I didn't like was Rifle Basix. Timmy seems to probably be the easiest solution from an availability standpoint and they make a trigger that's easy to get into the 2.5-3# range safely. You might be able to adjust them lower, but, that's where I stop for my own uses. [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: wslayer
Today at 6:08 PM
C
Gasoline pump prices
Latest: camper
Today at 5:32 PM
Metal roof or shingles?
Latest: 3Roosters
Today at 4:45 PM
I HATE coyotes!!!!
Latest: Rowdie
Today at 4:23 PM
Sale
6.5 Creed Barrel - Savage
Latest: SupressYourself
Today at 3:36 PM
ISO Vizsla pup
Latest: Yoby
Today at 3:17 PM
T
Sharptails/Huns with labradors
Latest: Traxion
Today at 1:40 PM
migration 26
Latest: 1lessdog
Today at 12:37 PM
Fall fishing?
Latest: sdwxman
Today at 8:43 AM
A.I. Are you Excited?
Latest: Eatsleeptrap
Today at 6:30 AM
A
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: Auggie
Today at 6:02 AM
Scheels Bismarck
Latest: Slappy
Yesterday at 11:01 PM
Ham/Women
Latest: svnmag
Yesterday at 10:08 PM
Pronghorn
Latest: Maddog
Yesterday at 6:52 PM
DUI Attorney
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 2:31 AM
Lotsa bots
Latest: Davy Crockett
Sunday at 8:43 PM
T
NDSU to the FBS???
Latest: Twitch
Sunday at 7:24 PM
Sale
Ford Tailgate bench
Latest: wslayer
Sunday at 5:33 PM
Sale
STEINER Predator 12 x 50
Latest: 1lessdog
Saturday at 4:27 PM
A
Steak Knives?
Latest: Auggie
Saturday at 4:12 PM
Makoti Lake, ND
Latest: eyexer
Saturday at 9:39 AM
Friends of NDA
Forums
General
General Discussion
Vanguard 257 Weatherby Magnum
Top
Bottom