Vehicles with Tracks

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wondering if anyone out here in nodakangler land has any experience with any vehicles with track systems? I'm not talking about ATVs, Side by Sides, or UTVs. Instead something like a jeep, an old Geo Tracker, a S10 Blazer, or something along those lines with Dominator, Mattracks or the similar. Wondering how it worked out for you, if you'd do it again, and any tips, tricks or recommendations. I would think you'd want atleast a rear locked differential and possibly a front locker along with an automatic transmission. Seems like a lot of drag if all the corners are helping pull the machine and with so much drag probably hard to shift it fast enough with a manual?

Primarily looking for feedback for use as a dedicated snow machine.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know some Fire Dept's have full size trucks that drive up on tracks are not so bad to use don't know how crazy they get with them

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
ive had american truck tracks on a samurai and a 02 4 runner neither had locking diffs but rear diff would be nice for slush holes. they add about a foot of width so most trailers with fenders arent wide enough. i didnt have anti rotation on them but i will next time i install them. pretty much go anywhere in either vehicle on tracks.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Riverview, can you tell me more about your samurai and how well it worked. I was looking specifically at doing it with a Chevy tracker which I believe is damn near the same vehicle. would like to use it for a utility and recreation machine around our property which has some coulee's and such. Had a ranger with Mattracks which was unstoppable but unfortunately the ranger was not the most reliable platform. I was hoping that going to a light vehicle that uses actual automotive standards would be a better alternative.

TakItEz

Founding Member
Founding Member
I good buddy of mine has been through all the types of tracked vehicles from snowmobiles, Atvs with tracks, Utv with tracks, and a Jeep with american tracks. He has currently settled on a Ranger crew with camoplast tracks which he swears is the best rig he has ever had.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had an 89 Suzuki Sidekick with tracks. It was a great ice fishing rig and quite a bit more cost effective than a side by side. Mine had Mattracks. I've had camoplast in the past and prefer the camoplast. They're much easier to work on. I now have a defender with camoplast. The Suzuki just didn't have the get up and go and couldn't go through as much as the side by side.

You will want something with power steering and automatic transmission. A diff lock would be nice.

https://atvtracks.net/track-systems/chevy-geo-tracker-1988-2004-4s1

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
ive had american truck tracks on a samurai and a 02 4 runner neither had locking diffs but rear diff would be nice for slush holes. they add about a foot of width so most trailers with fenders arent wide enough. i didnt have anti rotation on them but i will next time i install them. pretty much go anywhere in either vehicle on tracks.
What happens when you don't have anti rotation arms on them? just curious.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
What happens when you don't have anti rotation arms on them? just curious.
going overt hard drifts or holes the tracks will rotate and contact body and stop track or pop the track off.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Riverview or Augie, how did they do speed wise and crawling through deep snow without lockers, say climbing up a hill or river bank? Not to concerned about top speed but would be nice if they'd do 20-25 or so. Figured in 4low they'd have enough power to pull the tracks decently if a person was out in deeper snow or rougher terrain?

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Riverview, can you tell me more about your samurai and how well it worked. I was looking specifically at doing it with a Chevy tracker which I believe is damn near the same vehicle. would like to use it for a utility and recreation machine around our property which has some coulee's and such. Had a ranger with Mattracks which was unstoppable but unfortunately the ranger was not the most reliable platform. I was hoping that going to a light vehicle that uses actual automotive standards would be a better alternative.
samurai was nice and light but not a great heater and tracks are very rough riding and the samurai really shook i was worried about the steering on the samurai as it was tiny and manual. no problem on the 4 runner.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
tracks gear you down quite a bit. the 4 runner ran i high range mostly, i could drive 45 down the road.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My rig in deep snow floated ok. It more so had so much traction that it plowed through about anything. I did get stuck a few times running in ditches. One time I was in a field maybe 100 yds from the road running parallel with the highway and a cop gave me the cherries. At that point I was having flash backs to the opening scene of Super Troopers where I thought "I can't pull over any more!"

I bought it for fishing Lake Winnipeg and it was very comfortable. A decent heater made the day if running and gunning so much more enjoyable, especially at -20F.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84