What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
General
General Discussion
We’re doomed...
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="KDM" data-source="post: 223639" data-attributes="member: 314"><p>This is a matter of perspective for me. First, red meat allergy isn't a fatal condition. Second, the lonestar tick was just discovered in ND which suggests their populations are VERY LOW. Third, the dog ticks that are everywhere here in ND can carry the Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever pathogen, but you don't hear anything about folks getting that condition, which begs the question "Why?". Forth, there are much more injurious ailments I need to worry about. I did some research on this ailment, the vector (the tick), and the infection rates for this condition and found there have been 3-5 thousand cases in the whole U.S. to date that exhibit symptoms of "red meat allergy". While unfortunate for those affected, this isn't a large number and these cases have been compiled over the past 10 or so years researchers have known about red meat allergy. That's 300-500 cases per year over the entire range of the lone star tick, which is unfortunate, but there are over 10,000 DEATHS each year from seasonal flu and I don't hear one peep about that little statistic. While nice to know we have a new tick here in ND, I'm more concerned about making sure I have a good safety harness while in the tree stand than I am about avoiding ticks. Falling out of a tree is SO MUCH more likely to cause harm/death for me than for me to get bit by a lone star tick let alone acquire red meat allergy. I'll be skipping the permethrin dunk again this year.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="KDM, post: 223639, member: 314"] This is a matter of perspective for me. First, red meat allergy isn't a fatal condition. Second, the lonestar tick was just discovered in ND which suggests their populations are VERY LOW. Third, the dog ticks that are everywhere here in ND can carry the Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever pathogen, but you don't hear anything about folks getting that condition, which begs the question "Why?". Forth, there are much more injurious ailments I need to worry about. I did some research on this ailment, the vector (the tick), and the infection rates for this condition and found there have been 3-5 thousand cases in the whole U.S. to date that exhibit symptoms of "red meat allergy". While unfortunate for those affected, this isn't a large number and these cases have been compiled over the past 10 or so years researchers have known about red meat allergy. That's 300-500 cases per year over the entire range of the lone star tick, which is unfortunate, but there are over 10,000 DEATHS each year from seasonal flu and I don't hear one peep about that little statistic. While nice to know we have a new tick here in ND, I'm more concerned about making sure I have a good safety harness while in the tree stand than I am about avoiding ticks. Falling out of a tree is SO MUCH more likely to cause harm/death for me than for me to get bit by a lone star tick let alone acquire red meat allergy. I'll be skipping the permethrin dunk again this year. [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
P
Lotsa bots
Latest: Prairie Doggin'
36 minutes ago
Left Hand Remington Stocks
Latest: SupressYourself
50 minutes ago
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: Rowdie
Today at 9:44 PM
An oddball.
Latest: goldenpaddle74
Today at 9:30 PM
Walleye tour sodak.
Latest: goldenpaddle74
Today at 9:27 PM
Metal roof or shingles?
Latest: eyexer
Today at 9:07 PM
Food porn
Latest: risingsun
Today at 8:23 PM
Oriska Rest Area Opens
Latest: risingsun
Today at 8:22 PM
Twins
Latest: risingsun
Today at 8:22 PM
Steak Knives?
Latest: risingsun
Today at 8:21 PM
Facial Recognition Software &
Latest: risingsun
Today at 8:20 PM
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: risingsun
Today at 8:19 PM
new reel for all around use?
Latest: risingsun
Today at 8:19 PM
EHD is back..AGAIN!
Latest: ridge_ferry
Today at 7:43 PM
Librela injection
Latest: ridge_ferry
Today at 7:40 PM
Generation X
Latest: KDM
Today at 6:12 PM
Howdy All!
Latest: finnpike89
Today at 6:05 PM
G
Scheels Bismarck
Latest: Griz
Today at 5:58 PM
RAY AREA
Latest: guywhofishes
Today at 4:52 PM
Pine Wilt
Latest: BrokenBackJack
Today at 4:32 PM
Mandan Data center pushback
Latest: RyanN
Today at 2:02 PM
Friends of NDA
Forums
General
General Discussion
We’re doomed...
Top
Bottom