What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
Hunting
Guns and Ammo
weatherby vanguard rifles.
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="SDMF" data-source="post: 302460" data-attributes="member: 412"><p>I've owned about a dozen Wby Vanguard/1500 Howa/Interarms/etc from 223 up to 300Win.</p><p></p><p>Accuracy hasn't ever been an issue, they've all shot well. Mid-80's-mid-90's models had better adjustable triggers than later models have. I haven't owned one new enough for their newer 2-stage adjustable trigger. IMO, the only ever downside was weight. I like their extractor better than a Rem 700 and I like their integral recoil lug vs. a lug sandwiched between the action/bbl.</p><p></p><p>$900 is IMO a LOT of $$ for what looks like a rifle with an injection-molded stock. Rather than spiral flutes and cera-coat, I'd rather spend the $$ on SS metal and an actual fiberglass synthetic stock (vs. plastic/injection molded).</p><p></p><p>Personally, I don't prefer that much power in a big-game rifle scope. For Deer/elk/pronghorn (Big game) rifles, I've swapped most of my 4.5-14 Leupold scopes for 2.5-10 NXS or 3-10 SHV scopes from Nightforce. I took a deer in WY last fall @ 560yds with a 270Win/2.5-10x42 NXS/140gn TSX and didn't feel the least bit hampered by 10x @ the top.</p><p></p><p>More important that what rifle/scope you choose will be actually practicing w/said combo enough to:</p><p></p><p>A. Have absolute faith that your drop/windage chart is accurate</p><p>B. Shooting enough to know how to "cheat" your chart in order to give yourself the widest margin for error.</p><p></p><p>Explaining A/B:</p><p></p><p>My deer in WY last fall was a bit uphill. Rather than trying to figure out to dial for 560 minus the slope (which didn't register on the LRF), I dialed for 550yds (which was on my chart) and then "cheated" my hold into the bottom 1/3 of the chest. That gave me a ~1.5MOA "window of forgiveness" in which to make a clean kill.</p><p></p><p>Similarly, there was a light breeze 3-5MPH from L to R. The deer was standing w/his butt into the wind. Rather than trying to guess the exact wind, I cheated my reticle to the last rib/back of the lungs. If I get no drift, it's going to kill him. If I get any drift at all, it'll be even more lethal. If I've totally blown the wind-call and get a bunch of drift, it's a clean miss, not a gut-shot. Had the deer been facing the other way, I'd have waited for him to turn his rear into the wind, or possibly not taken the shot. I knew that "back of the lungs" hold gave me a ~2 MOA window of forgiveness.</p><p></p><p>The "cheats" were nearly as important as the initial chart.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="SDMF, post: 302460, member: 412"] I've owned about a dozen Wby Vanguard/1500 Howa/Interarms/etc from 223 up to 300Win. Accuracy hasn't ever been an issue, they've all shot well. Mid-80's-mid-90's models had better adjustable triggers than later models have. I haven't owned one new enough for their newer 2-stage adjustable trigger. IMO, the only ever downside was weight. I like their extractor better than a Rem 700 and I like their integral recoil lug vs. a lug sandwiched between the action/bbl. $900 is IMO a LOT of $$ for what looks like a rifle with an injection-molded stock. Rather than spiral flutes and cera-coat, I'd rather spend the $$ on SS metal and an actual fiberglass synthetic stock (vs. plastic/injection molded). Personally, I don't prefer that much power in a big-game rifle scope. For Deer/elk/pronghorn (Big game) rifles, I've swapped most of my 4.5-14 Leupold scopes for 2.5-10 NXS or 3-10 SHV scopes from Nightforce. I took a deer in WY last fall @ 560yds with a 270Win/2.5-10x42 NXS/140gn TSX and didn't feel the least bit hampered by 10x @ the top. More important that what rifle/scope you choose will be actually practicing w/said combo enough to: A. Have absolute faith that your drop/windage chart is accurate B. Shooting enough to know how to "cheat" your chart in order to give yourself the widest margin for error. Explaining A/B: My deer in WY last fall was a bit uphill. Rather than trying to figure out to dial for 560 minus the slope (which didn't register on the LRF), I dialed for 550yds (which was on my chart) and then "cheated" my hold into the bottom 1/3 of the chest. That gave me a ~1.5MOA "window of forgiveness" in which to make a clean kill. Similarly, there was a light breeze 3-5MPH from L to R. The deer was standing w/his butt into the wind. Rather than trying to guess the exact wind, I cheated my reticle to the last rib/back of the lungs. If I get no drift, it's going to kill him. If I get any drift at all, it'll be even more lethal. If I've totally blown the wind-call and get a bunch of drift, it's a clean miss, not a gut-shot. Had the deer been facing the other way, I'd have waited for him to turn his rear into the wind, or possibly not taken the shot. I knew that "back of the lungs" hold gave me a ~2 MOA window of forgiveness. The "cheats" were nearly as important as the initial chart. [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
Sharptails/Huns with labradors
Latest: svnmag
23 minutes ago
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: wslayer
Today at 6:08 PM
C
Gasoline pump prices
Latest: camper
Today at 5:32 PM
Metal roof or shingles?
Latest: 3Roosters
Today at 4:45 PM
I HATE coyotes!!!!
Latest: Rowdie
Today at 4:23 PM
Sale
6.5 Creed Barrel - Savage
Latest: SupressYourself
Today at 3:36 PM
ISO Vizsla pup
Latest: Yoby
Today at 3:17 PM
migration 26
Latest: 1lessdog
Today at 12:37 PM
Fall fishing?
Latest: sdwxman
Today at 8:43 AM
A.I. Are you Excited?
Latest: Eatsleeptrap
Today at 6:30 AM
A
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: Auggie
Today at 6:02 AM
Scheels Bismarck
Latest: Slappy
Yesterday at 11:01 PM
Ham/Women
Latest: svnmag
Yesterday at 10:08 PM
Pronghorn
Latest: Maddog
Yesterday at 6:52 PM
DUI Attorney
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 2:31 AM
Lotsa bots
Latest: Davy Crockett
Sunday at 8:43 PM
T
NDSU to the FBS???
Latest: Twitch
Sunday at 7:24 PM
Sale
Ford Tailgate bench
Latest: wslayer
Sunday at 5:33 PM
Sale
STEINER Predator 12 x 50
Latest: 1lessdog
Saturday at 4:27 PM
A
Steak Knives?
Latest: Auggie
Saturday at 4:12 PM
Makoti Lake, ND
Latest: eyexer
Saturday at 9:39 AM
Friends of NDA
Forums
Hunting
Guns and Ammo
weatherby vanguard rifles.
Top
Bottom