Patience is a virtue

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I struggle at times to get my pontoon on the bunks in a nice cross-winded day, but usually by myself and down the ramp, loaded, and off the ramp in 5-10min..... People like this are hilarious.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few years back, at Langlers, on a busy windy weekend afternoon, while I was in a holding pattern out in the bay waiting for my buddy to get the trailer through the lineup and on the ramp, two older couples launched about a 15 foot fiberglass tri-hull with only a foot or so of free board. After much time getting there shit and themselves in the boat, they finally pulled away from the dock and headed out to the pooping sea. Anyone that fishes Oahe knows how friggin' big the rollers can be. Anyway, the first roller they hit must have come over the bow because thank God they turned around immediately and drove back to the dock. The pickup driver got out of the boat, walked up the ramp, and told his story to my buddy who had been waiting in line for 15 minutes at least and asked if he could go ahead 'cause he had water in his boat. Long story short, my buddy politely (maybe) advised him that he would just have to wait his turn like everyone else.

fish-r-man

★★ Legendary Member
had a few instances where my co pilot almost sank my pickup, so I do it all by myself now. ive found its easier to go a little slower and get the boat on right the first time, being I usually wade out and pull the boat on by hand. get a lot of funny looks, but hey if it aint broke, don't fix it!

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
had a few instances where my co pilot almost sank my pickup, so I do it all by myself now. ive found its easier to go a little slower and get the boat on right the first time, being I usually wade out and pull the boat on by hand. get a lot of funny looks, but hey if it aint broke, don't fix it!
I always carry an old light weight pair of waders in the back of my pickup when using a boat. Used them today on the MO River.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
What kind of tard friend do you have that would be silly enough to swamp your pickup. Maybe stay away from the ABLE house when picking up someone to drive your truck...:::

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have one of those friends who absolutely cannot backup a pickup and boat trailer with out turning around in the seat and looking out the back window with the tailgate down. What the hell do they put mirrors on trucks for. And still take forever.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think i told this one before - but exactly one year ago - DL henegar ramp -- good ole storm brewed up --- we ran all the way from pelly to the ramp with the storm on our back. We go past woodland - people playing around - a bunch of jet skiis and toons and even a i spread mussels ski boat. Anyway -- i weave through the crowd and jump off bump a rock and jump on one :;:smokin . I get in line to the ramp. By now the lightening is fast and furious. I gave the option to my wife - boat or truck. She wanted boat as she didnt want to back down.

This long haired hippy type guy was down on the dock helping everybody. Good samaritan -- not so quick -- his truck blocked the road to get to the ramp. He was yelling and telling everybody what to do -- while the ramp became empty. Its starting to blow and the rain is beginning. He finally runs up gets his vehicle and starts backing it down to get his toon. As i am backing down (i see he is having issues big time. He had plenty of help from the people on his toon. ------- the kicker he had a "mabel tube tied to his ass end of the toon". He wasnt in back far enough so he is trimming and throttel ---

spooooffff went the mabel into his prop --- that shut down the engine. Then they were trying to pull the mabel out of the prop--- lets just say it was f show. Then finally he gets into the water and cranks the toon up. I was already loaded and down below. I put a blanket on my hood as it was ready for round 3 devils lake style - hail. I walked back up to help and he finally had toon loaded.

Then it was boat after boat -- jet skis etc all getting pounded on by the hail and wind. Some had a hell of time loading. I have to admit the weather got me when the hail began to get big and i quit helping (no helmet) -- i wussed out and ran to the truck.

Kasey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm so fast at loading my boat that I don't bother turning off the boat motor till I get to the top of the ramp. Anyone who saw that must of got a good laugh. Its funny to me now, but was embarrassing. I load by myself and usually run the boat up onto the trailer. I leave the motor running in gear just above idle to keep it from rolling back down while I secure the safety chain. then I usually go back and shut off the motor. Well my hearing isn't the best and I'm in a hurry cuz of the busy ramp and ... yeah

bk3

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some folks just make the patience thing really hard, I watched 2 fellas stand next to a boat on the dock in the loading area, while the third one went to get the pickup, not the courtesy dock area so their boat was blocking one of the loading lanes, when he finally got there he backed down the middle lane not the one he had blocked and then went over and hopped in the boat and drove over and loaded it while the 2 watched. If that wasn't bad enough when his boat just cleared the water he stopped and they got out and proceeded to tie the boat down, pull the plug and unload all the fishing stuff out of the boat. Sometimes you just have to sit back smile and laugh, free entertainment.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just shake my head and try not to get upset. The only time I'll get riled up or say something is when a storm is coming.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Patience my ass, get your shit together and get the titty sprinkle out of the way!! :;:stirthepot ;:;rofl ;:;rofl..................:;: The one thing at Fort Stevenson, that most people do not realize is BOTH boat ramps are 4 LANES! If by myself I like to be next to the dock, as I need to tie up the boat and move the pickup. If someone backs me in, I use the outside lane, then I pick up the driver at the courtesy dock. Do the same when loading. Its amazing how many people back down the middle of a 2 lane ramp. One thing that the park could do is put the courtesy docks CLOSER to the ramps, for us lone fishermen to use.

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last July I came back with the pickup and trailer after being gone for 1 minute max to find a grown man litteraly yelling at and belittling my 11 year old son that he was blocking the ramp as he held the boat to the dock because I wont let him drive it on the trailer. I jumped out of my truck, grabbed the POS by his neck and pants, and threw the f'head off the dock. The two other people waiting shook my hand after we loaded. I keep hoping to find the SOB at a dock again

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wtf... the line is with the trailer not the dock.... idiot and an asshole. Obviously he got dropped off, so why wasn't he walking to his truck?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have one of those friends who absolutely cannot backup a pickup and boat trailer with out turning around in the seat and looking out the back window with the tailgate down. What the hell do they put mirrors on trucks for. And still take forever.

i cant use mirrors and have to turn around but i can back down pretty fast. I make it up as i run up and down the boat ramp faster than most the fat guys huffing and puffing just to walk back to the boat.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last July I came back with the pickup and trailer after being gone for 1 minute max to find a grown man litteraly yelling at and belittling my 11 year old son that he was blocking the ramp as he held the boat to the dock because I wont let him drive it on the trailer. I jumped out of my truck, grabbed the POS by his neck and pants, and threw the f'head off the dock. The two other people waiting shook my hand after we loaded. I keep hoping to find the SOB at a dock again

Oh my, there would be a confrontation of epic proportions if someone ever did that to my son who was simply following my directions.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few years back, at Langlers, on a busy windy weekend afternoon, while I was in a holding pattern out in the bay waiting for my buddy to get the trailer through the lineup and on the ramp, two older couples launched about a 15 foot fiberglass tri-hull with only a foot or so of free board. After much time getting there shit and themselves in the boat, they finally pulled away from the dock and headed out to the pooping sea. Anyone that fishes Oahe knows how friggin' big the rollers can be. Anyway, the first roller they hit must have come over the bow because thank God they turned around immediately and drove back to the dock. The pickup driver got out of the boat, walked up the ramp, and told his story to my buddy who had been waiting in line for 15 minutes at least and asked if he could go ahead 'cause he had water in his boat. Long story short, my buddy politely (maybe) advised him that he would just have to wait his turn like everyone else.

I think I woulda let the guy in front of me. Boat troubles, and/or sinking boat require some special consideration, in my book. It's one thing if they're just stupid, but.. I'm not that good of a fisherman anyhow - 5 minutes less time fishing isn't going to ruin my day.

25 years ago, early spring at Fox Island, first time in the water for the season. My old fiberglass tri-hull had developed a big crack over the winter, and I didn't know it. I put in, parked the truck, drove north to pretty close to the Expy bridge when I noticed a LOT of water coming in. I barely made it back to fox. Drove it onto the sandbar and either had to get it out of the water right away, or risk not being able to move it. A kind gentleman let me in in front of him. I was very grateful.

fish-r-man

★★ Legendary Member
What kind of tard friend do you have that would be silly enough to swamp your pickup. Maybe stay away from the ABLE house when picking up someone to drive your truck...:::

The kind of friend that gives you the stink eye when you ask if he know how to drive a manual, then proceeds to try to pull up the ramp in third gear.....;:;banghead

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Given the average age of the douchiest of the douches that get worked up at a ramp, I'd suggest recertification at around age 35-40. You know, just when a person has enough experience to think they no longer need to remember a different time in their own development.

Allen, your last sentence hit the nail on the head. The older I get (I'm 47), the more I realize how stupid I was when I was younger, and pretty much was sure that I knew more than the next 10 guys combined. I spent a LOT of time on the Missouri River when I was in my late teens and early 20's. While I like to think that I was mostly a good guy, I realize how little I knew then. The older I get, the more often I remind myself to just shut my mouth.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yelling at kids that are not your own is asking for a fist to the face.

Good for you for throwing the POS in the lake.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Better yet if he had one of those auto inflate vest on.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 56