Patience is a virtue

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have yelled at kids at the boat ramp that were not mine --- they were playing under the dock at lakewood. I came into the dock to drop off driver and seen kids on top of the dock and then seen them under the dock swimming. About 3 boats were ahead of me going in and out --- - -nobody paying attention and they were then swimming by the motors etc --- my turn to come in and I told them politely to get out from under the dock --- nope --- parent sat on a chair over by the swimming area --- i finally yelled and put my oar down to start pushing them out. No movement from her chair.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
When guys block the dock spaces, courtesy or otherwise, I just have whomever I'm with drive the boat, nose up to the boat, and I walk through the blocking boat and head for the truck. Now these boats HAVE to be blocking and not just in line. By blocking I mean BS'ing, taking equipment out, and other such nonsense. NOT a lone fisherman that has no choice. You can tell the difference. Only had one guy try to yell at me. The other guys usually apologize for blocking the space and then move. It's worked well over the years.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most docks are long enough that someone can tie up to one side of it with plenty of room for a guy to be dropped off on the end of the dock. People swimming and parking on the ramp to watch kids are my headache.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Talon has made things pretty easy for squeezing in at the docks. I idle up, stick the Talon, and hold the nose of the boat near the dock with the Motorguide on Navigate pointed at the dock.

No tying off - and I just need a space close enough to jump back/forth. I rarely tie off anymore and if I do it's for insurance (rogue wave, etc.). A lot of times the boat doesn't actually contact the dock.

Sadly, people get kinda pissed when I POLITELY wave off "docking assistance".

- - - Updated - - -

maybe pissed is wrong word... disappointed/rejected?

Some just look at me like "what?". Even after I return to trailer up they're still scratching their heads.

Then their 7 year old says "that big stick on the back holds his boat, we should get one Dad". That slays me every time.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not repeat NOT being a smart a&& but I truly feel sorry for most of you. For the last 19 years my boat sits in a small marina with 20 or so other boat. Which I am ever grateful for. Also a private ramp that I only use about every three weeks to take the boat out and wash it down and clean it up.

If you young'uns are having trouble learning to back up. Find a young gal that shows or hauls horses. And make her your best friend. Over the years when I was involved with horses I watched many a young cowgirl back large bumper hitch and fifth wheelers back in small spaces and park those things perfectly.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
i cant use mirrors and have to turn around but i can back down pretty fast. I make it up as i run up and down the boat ramp faster than most the fat guys huffing and puffing just to walk back to the boat.

I can relate growing up backing up lawnmower wagons, rock-pickers out of a john deere 4440 big back window, anhydrous tanks, etc and becoming damn good at it looking over my back shoulder and thinking that was THE way to back a boat in for years. It's truly second nature until a co-fisherman/buddy comes along with a topper, SUV, tonneau cover, or gigantic fuel tank in the back you cant see over (especially in a tournament) your thought process/natural instinct does a total 180 on you..
It's safe to say; put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel while using the mirrors and push the boat in the direction you want it to go.
Its a gradual un-training process of ur brain, but it will eventually be like riding a bike with repetition.

Last edited:

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I woulda let the guy in front of me. Boat troubles, and/or sinking boat require some special consideration, in my book. It's one thing if they're just stupid, but.. I'm not that good of a fisherman anyhow - 5 minutes less time fishing isn't going to ruin my day.

25 years ago, early spring at Fox Island, first time in the water for the season. My old fiberglass tri-hull had developed a big crack over the winter, and I didn't know it. I put in, parked the truck, drove north to pretty close to the Expy bridge when I noticed a LOT of water coming in. I barely made it back to fox. Drove it onto the sandbar and either had to get it out of the water right away, or risk not being able to move it. A kind gentleman let me in in front of him. I was very grateful.
This guy wasn't in danger of sinking. He just had a few gallons in the boat.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watched a guy do this this morning at Parshall bay, was kind of NEAT and quick.

https://youtu.be/y5ejwRj9t1Q?t=4

I've said it before: I WOULD NOT be able to wipe the smug grin off my face, if that were me. I'd have to sit down and come up with some sort of snappy comment. Maybe "Mornin' fellas. Too bad you can't see my invisible girlfriend's bikini, but she sure is a good boat driver.."

And then "ha, there's no bikini - she's nekked".

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can relate growing up backing up lawnmower wagons, rock-pickers out of a john deere 4440 big back window, anhydrous tanks, etc and becoming damn good at it looking over my back shoulder and thinking that was THE way to back a boat in for years. It's truly second nature until a co-fisherman/buddy comes along with a topper, SUV, tonneau cover, or gigantic fuel tank in the back you cant see over (especially in a tournament) your thought process/natural instinct does a total 180 on you..
It's safe to say; put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel while using the mirrors and push the boat in the direction you want it to go.
Its a gradual un-training process of ur brain, but it will eventually be like riding a bike with repetition.

that brings up a good story me and a buddy had drove all night to lake erie and we just showed up and a wind advisory was called. So the guy we were pre fishing with called and told me to back another guys truck in. well i jump in a topper that is full to the top and he calls all the other pros on the radio and says to watch this its going to be good he knows i cant back up using the mirrors. So there sits 50 plus boats and me backing down the ramp by my self. I pull up sweat beads all ready forming nervous as a whore in church. Who ever did the concrete for the ramp had nice straight saw cuts so i lined the tires up with those and backed straight down to his and every ones disappointment. got out and gave them double fingers for trying to set me up. haha

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
I purchased my first boat last spring and thankfully have not yet had any real embarrassing moments yet. Knock on wood. Patience is key. While waiting in line to drop the boat with my wife in the truck, we were all ready to go (straps, cooler, gear all loaded and unhooked) when someone loads their boat and only pulls to the top of the ramp to secure their rig while someone else simultaneously backs to the top of the ramp to unload and stops to get everything ready. My wife is one of the most patient people I know. She also never spent much time on the water until now, but even she says, "You would think those people would have their stuff ready or at least move out of the way enough to let others on the ramp." Couldn't help but smile thinking about all the posts on here over the years. Common sense can be hard to come by.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy and gal have matching Jet Ski's which they back in fine and then hold both to the dock blocking both sides of the ramp while they hunt for the kill cords, adjust life jackets that don't fit anymore, etc, etc, etc. I'm several behind in line to launch, sit and wait my turn. I unload, pick up my buddy after he parks the truck, and find that the male jet skier is now sitting at the end of the channel out of the launch area making it difficult for other boats to enter/exit. He's sitting there, in the way, after taking way too long diddling at the ramp/dock, he's sitting there, in the way, so he can light a cigarette and smoke while riding the jet ski.

Some people's kids.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy and gal have matching Jet Ski's which they back in fine and then hold both to the dock blocking both sides of the ramp while they hunt for the kill cords, adjust life jackets that don't fit anymore, etc, etc, etc. I'm several behind in line to launch, sit and wait my turn. I unload, pick up my buddy after he parks the truck, and find that the male jet skier is now sitting at the end of the channel out of the launch area making it difficult for other boats to enter/exit. He's sitting there, in the way, after taking way too long diddling at the ramp/dock, he's sitting there, in the way, so he can light a cigarette and smoke while riding the jet ski.

Some people's kids.

NOT my wife and I - just to clarify!

- - - Updated - - -

After 30 years of owning toppers I am pretty comfy with the side mirrors. It's gotten to the point where if I DO have to turn around and not use the mirrors (sun is glaring off dirty mirrors, etc.) I am all screwed up and have difficulty.

Also - before I bought the latest truck I thought a backup camera would be useful for backing up with a trailer - boy was I wrong. Ha ha. Getting the ball lined up is priceless but it's no use whatsoever for actual trailer maneuvering. All you see is the GIGANTIC nose of your boat.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got my ass chewed by some guy at the Grahams island dock about 16 yrs ago when they only had 1 dock and no courtesy dock as the water had been coming up on a yearly basis at that point and they were always moving them. Very busy lake day, a storm was on the horizon and boats were lining up to get out. Was with the future wife at the time and she had no clue how to back the trailer in or drive the boat. We pulled up to the dock where she had to hold the boat which blocked the ramp. The trailer line was about 15 deep already with new boats arriving at the dock constantly. I quickly pulled to the front of the line and loaded out within a minute or two and a guy chewed my ass for not having a girlfriend who could drive the boat as his wife was waiting in the boat and could drive it on the trailer herself. I didn't say anything to him, just waved and left. In hindsight I still think about that day and wonder if I should have just sat out in the bay in the storm and waited for everyone in the entire parking lot to clear out first or if I acted in an acceptable manner. I'm thinking had we waited that storm out, I may have lost my future wife. Which has it's pros and cons I spose...:cool:

One of my favorite parts of 4th of July weekend is sitting on the patio at Woodland and watching people try to load and unload. Can make for a few hours of good comedy. Good thing about that ramp and time of year is most people there realize the situation and I have yet to see anybody get too pissed off. I have on occasion gotten my fat ass off my chair and helped a few people out that really struggle but most people get things figured out eventually.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
So Remm, you went in front of about 15 rigs, to get yours out of the way first? Unless I'm missing something here, I'd have been a tad hot under the collar if I'd have been one of those 15. Especially with a storm rolling in.

I mean, so she couldn't drive the boat? So you say..

I think that's a good line to use next time I want to skip waiting in line too.

See where I'm going..?

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I spent some time at Van Hook the Saturday before the 4th. that place would be awesome to spend more time at.....in the winter.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hopefully remm has remedied his lack of help in getting a boat in and out of the water.

Just yesterday I watched two grown men load their boat and then stop ON the ramp to tarp it up before pulling ahead. It wasn't exactly a busy ramp, but they gave me more time than I actually needed to walk up and get the pickup. I suppose it didn't hinder me more than a minute once I got the pickup to the ramp, but still...

Kinda makes me feel guilty for chastising the kids when they decide to get in or out of the truck while I'm sitting on the ramp and am ready to pull up.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
I struggle at times to get my pontoon on the bunks in a nice cross-winded day, but usually by myself and down the ramp, loaded, and off the ramp in 5-10min..... People like this are hilarious.

10 minutes is a damned eternity at a boat ramp!

And for the record, I think its gotten WORSE at ramps in the last 10-15 years, and frankly everywhere in general. People have very little self awareness these days.
Just last week I had guy pulling a camper block the entire exit to a gas station while he waited for a pump to open up, another motorist trying to leave, politely went and asked him to pull ahead a bit so we could get by and he said he "wasnt going anywhere" I then went up and things got a little more heated before finally someone just stopped pumping gas and moved so that jerk could pull into a pump.

I have no idea what goes through people heads sometimes. Hell I get uncomfortable taking the time to put money back into my wallet after a cashier hands me change, fearing that I'm holding up the line behind me.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
So Remm, you went in front of about 15 rigs, to get yours out of the way first? Unless I'm missing something here, I'd have been a tad hot under the collar if I'd have been one of those 15. Especially with a storm rolling in.

I mean, so she couldn't drive the boat? So you say..

I think that's a good line to use next time I want to skip waiting in line too.

See where I'm going..?

I see exactly where you're going, that's why I still wonder about it sometimes. I figured at the time I'd rather piss the people off by doing that than wait in line and have the dock down to only 1 lane for 20 mins waiting. I can only imagine the ass chewing she would have gotten sitting there holding the boat the whole time I was in line. Would I do the same again? Tough call, don't have to worry about it anymore as she can now drive the truck and my son is starting to learn to drive the boat.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just yesterday I had a carton of eggs, and some fish fry while I was standing in line at the grocery store. The 2 people ahead of me saw how little I had, and offered to let me in the front since they had so much. The cashier opens the eggs and there is a broken one, she says give me a minute and I will run and get you a new carton. I said absolutely not, these people let me in front, and they sure are not going to wait over one broken egg. She says "well I don't know how to charge for just 11 eggs"...haha. I said just charge me for twelve, I will be okay with that.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11