Early Ice~

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has its rewards,most often spooky hiking out,clear ice spider cracking as you walk but has its rewards for the daring (or stupid)

early ice walleye.jpg

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, gotta love watching the fish your fighting through the ice.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snow you must be super bored over in blue plate country
You guys do realize that is someone else's picture of an eyeball
Snow do you even know how to fish

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screw THAT!! I'll wait until the ice is thick enough so I CAN'T see what kind of fish I have until it pops out of the hole thanks!!!

Sim

Looks like you could at least grab her tail. Im with KDM though and would wait a bit. I dont need to see what the water looks like before I fall in.

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
That's gotta be a solid 4" of ice. I'd take that any day over the 24" of crap ice in late season.

That picture is a beautiful site.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've been on ice that thick several times this year. Maybe not the smartest, just have to be careful. Only difference between snow and I is I didn't have a lunker like that on the end of my lines.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Only way I would be on ice like that is if I had a boat under me.

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
what is everyone seeing for ice thickness around the state? There were a few people driving full size pickups on metigoshe last weekend.

seemed to be just over a foot of ice here

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
what is everyone seeing for ice thickness around the state? There were a few people driving full size pickups on metigoshe last weekend.

seemed to be just over a foot of ice here

People still out in the boat down here

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a bad feeling there are going to be some vehicles through the ice over the next couple weeks. It seems like a lot of lakes have open water all the way to about 10" in central part of the state. In a couple weeks ice is going to be 5"-15" and people won't know what was just open water a week prior.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a bad feeling there are going to be some vehicles through the ice over the next couple weeks. It seems like a lot of lakes have open water all the way to about 10" in central part of the state. In a couple weeks ice is going to be 5"-15" and people won't know what was just open water a week prior.

I have been thinking about the same thing.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member

this is definitely going to happen. I was on 13' of ice yesterday and there was a huge spot of open water near me. For no apparent reason. no pressure ridge or underwater structure or anything. At least now you can see it with the snow on the ice.

im gonna be extra cautious for a couple weeks for sure.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Over in blue plate country there have already been 2 deaths due to thin ice in 3 separate incidents. Husband wife survived near Park Rapids, Bemidji-one survived, one died, Duluth area one survived one died. Atvs breaking thru.
Be Safe out there folks! Not worth it.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
this is definitely going to happen. I was on 13' of ice yesterday and there was a huge spot of open water near me. For no apparent reason. no pressure ridge or underwater structure or anything. At least now you can see it with the snow on the ice.

im gonna be extra cautious for a couple weeks for sure.

13 feet of ice , Really ? ��

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 43
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 17
  • This month: 16