Ice fishing

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got 8 days in over Christmas break. Fishing was among Jamestown area, Devils Lake, and Dickinson. With the warm weather and living in the banana belt, I bought a Yamaha snowcat with a blown engine and am converting that into a snow dog.
Coworker did this, I will get pictures, or call me if you want to run over and see it, or ask him some advice

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
1704336269459.png

SnowdogX​

$7,499
1704336297726.png

Sport B13R (2023)​

$4,999

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The handy thing is you can haul them on a receiver mounted cargo carrier and no need for a trailer. I'd consider chopping my old wide track skeeter with reverse . I have a variety that I could use. My boy had one for a toy I don't remember if it had reverse or not ?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got 8 days in over Christmas break. Fishing was among Jamestown area, Devils Lake, and Dickinson. With the warm weather and living in the banana belt, I bought a Yamaha snowcat with a blown engine and am converting that into a snow dog.
What are you using for an engine ?

DakotaGreg

Established Member
Ive done 4 multi day trips so far. First trip was nelson bay on audobauhn earlier in December. There was 6 inches of ice back then and I was shy of a limit. Had lots of fish on but could not keep anything hooked. Also camped at velva and then the south end of audobahn. Caught a couple at night, and thats it. Last trip I started seeing vehicles.

My latest trip was Tobacco Gardens, still camping in the portable. Fishing was great, ice was 11 inches. Lots of ice castles being pulled by atvs but mostly in the bay. The next day houses were appearing up and down various shorelines. Saw two half ton pickups on the lake. A pressure ridge kept most the ice castles in the bay but smaller vehicles were going around it by the beach.

I am thinking of taking my ice castle this weekend to either tobacco or south end of audobahn. I think south audobahn might have better ice.

North end of audobahn froze much later so im avoiding totten with a vehicle.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm gonna run down to Nelson Bay tomorrow afternoon for a couple hours...walk out.

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to own a snowmobile. Any time I miss it I stick my head in the freezer and have my wife smack me on the ass with a 2x4.

I haven't been ice fishing yet, but now that pheasant season is almost over it is time to dust of the old auger.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to own a snowmobile. Any time I miss it I stick my head in the freezer and have my wife smack me on the ass with a 2x4.

I haven't been ice fishing yet, but now that pheasant season is almost over it is time to dust of the old auger.
I am with you, I am going to shoot up a limit on Saturday. Then try fishing next weekend

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are you using for an engine ?
For an engine I probably go with a Predator 212. I'll wait for the Dickinson Harbor Freight to open and get it for under $100. I'll have less than $500 into the whole thing as the snowcat was $100. Another benefit of the snowdog (I'll dub it the SnowPeter) is that it doesn't need licensing since you are pulled.

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Someone is fishing Porcupine Creek on OAHE this morning. I don't see a 4 wheeler just see a pop-up. I'll get a good look at Cattail area when I get mail.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
2 groups at Cattail bay. One shack just upstream in the bay not far from ramp.

Another took a side by side to Winnona Island. I watched them for a bit, and it looked like they wanted to get out to the channel break, but then they set up a shack right by shore.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84