Bis to lose boat ramp

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sadly I won’t be able to make the meeting and voice my concerns on this. Does anybody know who the commissioners are that are leading the way on this? People need to know so if this does or does not get pushed through we can vote them out. I know that’s exactly why Mark Zimmerman will not get my vote for parks and rec. the commissioners look at the residents as there own personal piggy bank. Same thing with Brian Bitner with county….lost my vote.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what I heard, last nights meeting they were told was for information only and no public input was allowed. No city officials or developers, just a presentation team.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe the Bismarck City Council approved a conditional sale of the land to allow the project to move forward I think the condition was that if the project that was presented to the city council did not move forward, the property would revert back to the city. By doing that, the group promoting the project would be able to use the value of the land as a match for grants and other sources of support. I believe Jake Axtman of AGL Landscape made the pitch to the city council. Not in Bismarck currently so I am curious to know what went on at the meeting last evening. I still believe that if enough individuals express concern regarding a ramp in the Bis area something could be done to keep current ramp or add one. There has been talk of adding a ramp close to the water intake structure but I believe that would be a long shot. Only suggestion is when visiting with city council members, or any one else in the project be respectful but firm in holding your ground.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I believe the Bismarck City Council approved a conditional sale of the land to allow the project to move forward.

Ha! Why sell valuable public property when you can give it away for free?

I have some big ideas. Maybe they'll "pledge" a $2 million dollar chunk of the capitol lawn to me if I ask nicely.

"As part of the application process for the North Dakota Department of Commerce grant, the Bismarck City Commission pledged the 4.4 acres of Keelboat Park as long as the grant funding was received. The land is valued at $2 million."

https://www.kxnet.com/news/top-stor...long-missouri-river-receives-4-million-grant/

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm happy to buy a state park pass , it's the bargain of the year for me. Community owned ramps are another thing though and without funding and someone to pick up trash from the pigs they slowly disappear one by one. I'm wondering where ND G$F is on this, I truly commend them on everything they do for sportsmen but also a critic of what they don't do , It's thier job and responsibility. Take a look at the snowmobile trail system , it's funded by snowmobile registrations and a small portion of gas tax small portion ,AKA millions. This should be used in comparison when trying to convince your local politicians that just a smidgen of that money would support boating recreation and private access.

Give em hell boys, don't let this go unnoticed , with enough pressure they will at least be more apt to relocate the ramp in a nearby location.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Final+Festival+2.jpg

Looks like they’re gonna drive cars off into the water mid-right in the rendering. Seems like a liability issue.

Somebody quick get down there and get a picture of a Plover nest, then they won’t be able to do diddly-squat.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Clips from the Bismarck Tribune article:

-“The project includes multiple potential buildouts that may go forward, but construction of a festival grounds is definitely happening, organizers from the Fort Abraham Lincoln Foundation said.”

-“The meeting was for discussing what the design of the project would look like, organizers said -- not whether it was going forward. They did not offer comment to the Tribune beyond clarification of their presentation, citing that they are responsible for community engagement, not the buildout of the project. The Tribune was unable to tell if the construction firm that is designing the project -- AGL Landscape Architects -- had representatives there, and they were not clearly identified if they were.”

-“The meeting took the form of "world cafe" where about half a dozen people would discuss responses to prompts provided by meeting organizers and then relay the general discussion to the whole room.”

-“The loudest voices of concern came from people who spoke about the removal of the Keelboat boat ramp for the project.

-“highlighted the difficulty of getting a new boat ramp approved by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers once one is gone.”

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
And here it takes an even more suspicious turn. Why would these organizers who are still unnamed using a somewhat strong arm tactic of crime against native women to push this project? Are the cars parked down there at night all trafficking and abusing women? And what is more family oriented than fishing, canoeing, etc?

“Melanie Moniz, with National Folklife Network -- a nonprofit focused on folk and traditional art -- was invited by the meeting organizers to speak regarding the history and culture that the Mandan, Hidatsa, and Arikara Nation have related to the river.
She told the Tribune she believes it will be good for the community to have another public space. She thinks it will make the area safer.
“What excites me the most, as someone who is an Indigenous person impacted by the missing, murdered Indigenous people's epidemic, thinking about open lots and public safety … the shift from these open parking lots where cars may sit for hours after hours and violence may be happening, taking that and making something that is family focused,” Moniz said.”

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm wondering where ND G$F is on this, I truly commend them on everything they do for sportsmen but also a critic of what they don't do , It's thier job and responsibility.

I called game and fish about this yesterday afternoon and promptly received a call back from a very nice gentleman. This was not a surprise as the few times I've called a warden or fisheries biologist they have always been responsive and willing to talk, and it doesn't work like that many other places. I don't agree with everything NDGF does (cervid covid A.K.A CWD for example) but for the most part they do a fantastic job, especially with fisheries.

Unfortunately, the discussion gave me more concern than hope. The NDGF was not tracking this proposed ramp destruction as an issue for fisherman. They may begin looking into it but have no official position at this time. Supposedly this was the first time it was brought to their attention. He made some comments about enforcement and the zoo that is pontoon/waverunner season on the river and seemed to suggest that could be viewed by some as indication that one less boat ramp in town would be a good thing. I proposed that NDGF should be focused on maintaining access for fishing that occurs in this stretch primarily before and after the zoo is in town in June-September.

Better late than never for the department to follow this issue, but this plan has been public for many months. I find it hard to believe someone there has not been party to a discussion or two. At advisory board meetings department leaders are quick to note they are funded almost exclusively by licenses/sportsmen. I am hopeful they will do the right thing and fight for us, but based on the conversation I had I expect it will take many more phone calls from you all to get them to take a stance. Light em up!

1000001209.jpg

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
If they had been approached earlier they may have an form opinion and or give some sort of input for a solution. As it is , the city council has already donated the land , I read last night that the vote was unanimous. Can't say that I blame G&F for not wanting to get involved in this can of worms, it would be a lose-lose situation for them .

NodakBob

Honored Member
the boat ramp was probably partially funded with federal funds through the NDG&F...wonder what the rules are for destroying something that was paid with excise taxes from boat/fishing sales...do they have to replace the money or the original functionality? it was built in 1995 so maybe there's a time limit...

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
So a boat ramp will be going bye-bye and GNF was not even aware of it? WTF

Probably but who knows, that's the way pet projects get rammed down our throat. The key takeaway I get is the council gave away the land without public input. Or was there a public meeting and nobody showed up ?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
the boat ramp was probably partially funded with federal funds through the NDG&F...wonder what the rules are for destroying something that was paid with excise taxes from boat/fishing sales...do they have to replace the money or the original functionality? it was built in 1995 so maybe there's a time limit...

Probably why they put one in on the Mandan side and said close enough.

Wally World

★★ Legendary Member
Wonder who will be held responsible after the first drowning while swimming along their beaches? The current is very, very strong just feet from the proposed beach park. These politicians who are promoting this should then be held accountable!

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I noticed the picture renderings don't sho the interstate bridge in it. If they plan on doing concerts and things of that nature would the traffic noise be a concern as well as take away from the overall look. Put it down by sertoma park and leave the ramp alone. Heck you could dredge a swimming hole out there

Wally World

★★ Legendary Member
I noticed the picture renderings don't sho the interstate bridge in it. If they plan on doing concerts and things of that nature would the traffic noise be a concern as well as take away from the overall look. Put it down by sertoma park and leave the ramp alone. Heck you could dredge a swimming hole out there
Great idea! That's where it should go!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33