Drotto adjustment?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone have any ideas for better latching on my Drotto boat latch? I have a roller trailer with my Lund and I can’t seem to get it to latch when loading without hitting it really hard. It’s loose on the tower and when the boat is loaded the Drotto sits at the proper angle (but all the way pivoted against the tower). The ramp angle does matter a bit with shallower being slightly better. Any ideas here? Thanks!

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Trade roller for a bunk..Can't believe people still buy rollers. Soo that's the easy but most expensive solution lol. Does your boat sit level on the trailer or is the rear a little further down? Have heard of issues when the boat doesn't sit/load on trailer level there can be an issue latching.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
If bought new maybe, but it isn’t changing. I’ve loved this trailer and my previous roller compared to the bunk trailer I had. Boat sits level and nice. Latch lines up great when closed, just hard to get to latch.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If bought new maybe, but it isn’t changing. I’ve loved this trailer and my previous roller compared to the bunk trailer I had. Boat sits level and nice. Latch lines up great when closed, just hard to get to latch.
Is it hard when releasing it at all? Where is the water at on let's say the fenders when landing? Have you tried different depths to see if that changed how hard you have to hit it?

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had similar issue. I found if you adjust the angle of the white plate to expose the latches more

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depth of trailer in the water makes little difference. It releases fine. I can't adjust the plate to be any flatter, but working better at a shallower ramp indicates that would be the best option. I haven't rotated my winch tower at all yet, but that may be the next step. That is the only way I can get the plate to sit more flat and the jaws have a more straight on impact with the eye. My assumption now is the angle that the jaws are hitting the eye are too steep. But was curious if others had the issue.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trade roller for a bunk..Can't believe people still buy rollers. Soo that's the easy but most expensive solution lol. Does your boat sit level on the trailer or is the rear a little further down? Have heard of issues when the boat doesn't sit/load on trailer level there can be an issue latching.

WTFE!

Learn how to trailer a boat and you'll never go away from a roller trailer again.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
WTFE!

Learn how to trailer a boat and you'll never go away from a roller trailer again.
Have only ever had bunk trailers Allen, but have read roller trailers can be hard on riveted tin boats...thoughts? But I've always thought roller trailers...in theory, would be so easy to load/unload.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both types of trailers are easy if you know what your doing. Roller trailer is a must in shallow water ramp situations. Bunk trailer is nicer if your boats going to be sitting on it for extended periods out of the water.

As far as the drotto adjustment a couple pics of the situation might help us understand what you are experiencing and help with suggestions. I don't quite understand the comment:
"It’s loose on the tower and when the boat is loaded the Drotto sits at the proper angle (but all the way pivoted against the tower)."

The drotto is a simple latch to keep the boat attached to the trailer until you are ready to launch or secure it with the winch. You shouldn't have to hit it very hard to latch if it's mounted properly.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had to slide the whole front arm down about 1 1/2". Just mark it so you know where it was in case need to move again. Tried all other adjustments, was gonna send back but thought that was worth a shot, and it was great improvement.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
WTFE!

I agree --- rollers are not the best on the bottom of the boat as the weight isnt disbursed like a bunk - But they sure as hell are alot easier to launch in bad places including a lot of boat ramps in ND. I looked at the drotto and worried that some how that thing would pop back open going up the ramp. Anway - i am the guy who makes that nice little hole for fish to love (and they do) while reaching over for the safety chain connecting.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fish alone a lot. Wouldn't go without a drotto. You probably did this already but in case you haven't...maybe reattach the whole unit. If I remember correctly, you're suppose to go to the ramp and assembly etc. With the roller trailer I just unhooked the back straps, unhooked the chain and loosened the strap about 2 1/2 feet then my son and I pushed the boat back. Then you put your drotto on trailer etc. Now keep it loose however. Then crank boat back up with strap. The boat will hit in desired spot and move the drotto to where it wants to be. Once cranked all the way and drotto has moved where it wants to sit, just tighten bolts on drotto up. I did this all in my yard.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
WTFE!

I have had both for a number of years(roller 10, bunk 20 years atleast)...will never buy or own a roller after having a bunk....I can unhook my trailer before backing down the ramp with a bunk..i can pull my boat out of the water without hooking it up.....done it a thousand times with zero issues...try that with roller let me know how it goes...also don't need a drotto with a bunk... and yes on the river..the only ramp I wouldn't do this on is probably the rifle range...

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I take it you've never launched at DL or some other lakes around the state with steep ramps. Your bunks aren't going to keep your boat on the trailer without a latch.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I take it you've never launched at DL or some other lakes around the state with steep ramps. Your bunks aren't going to keep your boat on the trailer without a latch.
Yes I have launched all over the country including DL...if you take it easy you won't have a problem..also depends how big/heavy your boat it. This is a 21ft fiberglass boat. Woukdnt try it with an aluminum or smaller boat

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a lot of "pothole" lakes in my area. Ramps are slowly getting better but for many years having a bunk was a detriment. They were/are shallow ramps. Have to back boat so far in that you'd almost get water in the door of your pickup when you backed it in. Not a big deal if fishing with partner but by yourself...no go. Boat would be passed the dock. Couldn't reach it. They 've made improvements over the years. For trailering and storing I'd go bunk for sure, for ease of loading and unloading I go with roller. Especially with drotto now. That is just my opinion though.

ND58201

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had both for a number of years(roller 10, bunk 20 years atleast)...will never buy or own a roller after having a bunk....I can unhook my trailer before backing down the ramp with a bunk..i can pull my boat out of the water without hooking it up.....done it a thousand times with zero issues...try that with roller let me know how it goes...also don't need a drotto with a bunk... and yes on the river..the only ramp I wouldn't do this on is probably the rifle range...
This is very bad and unsafe advice. No wonder why insurance is getting so expensive.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have only ever had bunk trailers Allen, but have read roller trailers can be hard on riveted tin boats...thoughts? But I've always thought roller trailers...in theory, would be so easy to load/unload.

I have owned or used both going back nearly 40 years to when I was a teen. A roller trailer that fits your boat is the cat's meow. My current boat is a 2004 Lund Fisherman and it's been on a roller since day 1. No issues with rivets.

Note, bunk trailer owners say the same about rivets getting knocked loose as they have to slide on the bunks, and they worry that rivets will catch on the bunk.

Personally, I'd only use a bunk on a glass boat or pontoon/tritoon.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree --- rollers are not the best on the bottom of the boat as the weight isnt disbursed like a bunk - But they sure as hell are alot easier to launch in bad places including a lot of boat ramps in ND. I looked at the drotto and worried that some how that thing would pop back open going up the ramp. Anway - i am the guy who makes that nice little hole for fish to love (and they do) while reaching over for the safety chain connecting.

Like everything else, your boat needs to "fit" the trailer. Walk on a bunk one time and tell me how much support that bunk is providing to the hull around the mid-point of the bunk. It's not, the bunks flex pretty easily on most trailers. In reality, the bunks support the boat pretty good for a foot or two away from the bunk supports, and not much at all in the middle. Rollers obviously support a boat for just a few inches away from the center of the roller, but this is where having your boat/trailer setup correctly is important. The rollers should lie under the structural support of your hull (the ribs or other cross members). If you don't have the boat properly on the trailer, there is absolutely the potential for denting the hull of your boat.

About 7 years ago, my Lund (which is correctly placed on the rollers) got launched at least four feet in the air after my spare tire holder fell off on a washboard road out at Alkaline. The spare tire and holder went under the right-side trailer tire causing the boat/trailer to pole-vault into the air. Not a ding in the hull from the rollers, but the strakes on the side of the boat got dinged from the fenders of the trailer.

About 6 years before that and I had the great misfortune of hitting a porcupine on the same side at around 70 mph on highway 83.

Both of these incidents cost me new trailer fenders and some axle work, but the boat and rollers survived intact.

Yeah, I'll take a properly set up roller trailer every day of the week, and twice on Sundays for a full sized aluminum boat.

I could get talked into a bunk trailer for a jon boat, but that's about it.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have owned or used both going back nearly 40 years to when I was a teen. A roller trailer that fits your boat is the cat's meow. My current boat is a 2004 Lund Fisherman and it's been on a roller since day 1. No issues with rivets.

Note, bunk trailer owners say the same about rivets getting knocked loose as they have to slide on the bunks, and they worry that rivets will catch on the bunk.

Personally, I'd only use a bunk on a glass boat or pontoon/tritoon.
Explains alot

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 52
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19