Drotto adjustment?

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This is very bad and unsafe advice. No wonder why insurance is getting so expensive.
Never said to do it..I do and will keep doing it. I definitely don't recommend it for wekeend warriors..but my guess there are alot of guys that do this..in fact I can count about 30 off hand..and you must hear about it all the time how a boat slid off the trailer at the ramp..with a bunk trailer.......non of them have had any issues. To each there own though...like I said I don't condone it to a guy that has no clue what there doing loading and unloading a boat.

Last edited:

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
curious if anyone has ever had drotto come unlatched as backing in or out? I always pull mine out just enough to be able to get out and hook the rest up. Just wondering?

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had both for a number of years(roller 10, bunk 20 years atleast)...will never buy or own a roller after having a bunk....I can unhook my trailer before backing down the ramp with a bunk..i can pull my boat out of the water without hooking it up.....done it a thousand times with zero issues...try that with roller let me know how it goes...also don't need a drotto with a bunk... and yes on the river..the only ramp I wouldn't do this on is probably the rifle range...
I do the exact same thing, the only way that big glass boat is coming off those bunks is with a loader tractor "summer weather". This boat I have now came with a drotto, wish it wasn't on there actually, just gets in the way. I bought a drotto for the river boat recently, roller trailer. Had it out yesterday by myself, damn thing would not latch. tried several times. Ended up climbing off the bow onto the spare and getting it cranked in while the boat was in gear. Been in several other boats where the drotto has been a pain in the ass, man do some folks come in hot to make them latch..makes me cringe. I did put a new center roller on, doesn't look much different but I might have to loosen everything up again and see if I can reposition it better. Would sure like it to work on that roller trailer though that's for sure!

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I do the exact same thing, the only way that big glass boat is coming off those bunks is with a loader tractor "summer weather". This boat I have now came with a drotto, wish it wasn't on there actually, just gets in the way. I bought a drotto for the river boat recently, roller trailer. Had it out yesterday by myself, damn thing would not latch. tried several times. Ended up climbing off the bow onto the spare and getting it cranked in while the boat was in gear. Been in several other boats where the drotto has been a pain in the ass, man do some folks come in hot to make them latch..makes me cringe. I did put a new center roller on, doesn't look much different but I might have to loosen everything up again and see if I can reposition it better. Would sure like it to work on that roller trailer though that's for sure!
Omg you and I are the reason insurance rates are so high!!!! Lol yeah they are not moving anywhere unless like I said earlier you don't know what your doing..jerking it around. Drotto#dont know what yourdoing#rollertrailer...those are the only scenarios I can see using one. I get the roller trailer and drotto that's about it though...goes back to me saying I wouldn't own a roller again. In my opinion the benefits with a bunk outweigh a roller.

Last edited:

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
curious if anyone has ever had drotto come unlatched as backing in or out? I always pull mine out just enough to be able to get out and hook the rest up. Just wondering?
This is exactly how the Drotto instructions tell you to use it. The boat should be on the safety chain/strap until at the water putting it in, and secured with the safety chain as soon as it's pulled out (even before leaving the ramp). I love my Drotto, but it is a mechanical device that can fail. Haven't heard of any instances, but I'm sure they're out there.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trailer manufacturers should start putting them on trailers and I bet they would work better.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My works fine on my big aluminum Lund and so have bunch of others that I know. Make sure all rollers up front are in good shape not all worn out. I have no troubles but you need to be smart safety wise do not unhook anything till I reach water backed in just before I climb in. Steep,deep shalow on roller trailer works great. I am for sure not a bunk fan but I don't have shinny glass boat. Just have to be to careful with them. No docking on beaches, sandbars and or in Cananda rocky shore lines not for me where I fish. When landings get shallow no way. Seen more than one guy stuck. DOnt know what to think maybe when you get to last 6" and boat dips down or up?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am going to move my winch tower to try to get the plate a little flatter. Will report back.

I always leave safety chain on till in the water. No point in rolling off, have seen that! Never with a bunk though, but have heard of it on a cold day with someone.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had bunks and rollers --- always used safety chain. Bunk unhook the wench and leave s chain on until its in the water. I am old how hard is it for ya youngsters to reach down and unhook the safety chain?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
The real key is how fast you can get your boat out the water when the storm comes.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Father in law but a droto on his Pro v and the few times i have been with its worked good.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Drotto saved my ass one day in Yates. Wind came up and that ramp is terrible in the wind. Buddy got backed in a wave pushed me on just right I gunned it, the Drotto latched and he he pulled be out quick.

But there art times when it doesn't latch. I have a 620 which is a huge piece of fiberglass. I'd think they would be perfect for a little lighter boat.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You would be considered very very lucky if you were to be able to just bolt on and it would work perfect. Couple other people I know had to spend quite a bit of time as I did, to get adjusted properly. Steep ramps compared to high water ramps, they are all different with the angle your boat attacks the trailer. Bunks are much more forgiving in that aspect. This is also from a rep for Drotto.

There were very helpful on phone with advice on troubleshooting.
And also stating that it just isn't perfect for all boats.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had bunks and rollers --- always used safety chain. Bunk unhook the wench and leave s chain on until its in the water. I am old how hard is it for ya youngsters to reach down and unhook the safety chain?
Very..especially with multiple surgeries. I also like the term..work smarter not harder.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very..especially with multiple surgeries. I also like the term..work smarter not harder.
didnt someone state your supposed to use the safety chain with the drotto. i dont get the advantage. i still need to lean over the bow. I guarantee i am out before most even think about it.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
didnt someone state your supposed to use the safety chain with the drotto. i dont get the advantage. i still need to lean over the bow. I guarantee i am out before most even think about it.
Yup...in or out of the water in a very short time period. I wouldn't do it with a roller but have done it with a number of different fiberglass boats all around the state/country and have had zero issues. Again not for everyone. You back down the ramp and slam on the brakes..probably not the best idea but heavy fiberglass boats on a bunk trailer and take it easy will have zero issues..this also includes knowing how far to back your trailer into the water. Pretty sure I have seen the pros do the same thing to get the boats in and out of the water in very quick order.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup...in or out of the water in a very short time period. I wouldn't do it with a roller but have done it with a number of different fiberglass boats all around the state/country and have had zero issues. Again not for everyone. You back down the ramp and slam on the brakes..probably not the best idea but heavy fiberglass boats on a bunk trailer and take it easy will have zero issues..this also includes knowing how far to back your trailer into the water. Pretty sure I have seen the pros do the same thing to get the boats in and out of the water in very quick order.
I have had both trailers --- its all what you do --- for example slime will turn your carpet into a nice slick runway. Same with ice from the day before.

A wife that can back and knows the sweet spot on the boat 10000% advantage.

I need to bring up how i got yelled at DL Ramp. I pull to the rocks next to the dock where everyone was dropping off drivers and drop off wifey (actually dropped off me - i dont like lightening :) OMG everyone went nuts. "thats not fair" bunch of karens. then they tried to block my wife when she pulled up to the trailer. You have to know my wife - she just played bumper boat and drove through.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know a guy who put a new Ranger on the ramp his second trip out. Icy bunks from the day before and an unhooked chain. He still talks about the fiberglass on the ramp after they got it back on lol.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I know a guy who put a new Ranger on the ramp his second trip out. Icy bunks from the day before and an unhooked chain. He still talks about the fiberglass on the ramp after they got it back on lol.
Wow....non of my rangers had a chain..all were straps/cable...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 46
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 17
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14