1. Back To Top    #61
    Gold Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 401
    Classifieds
    For a 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton the Hankook Dynapro ATMs are really hard to beat, as they are priced right in the mix with the rest of them. I am not a huge fan of the duratracs as they seem to be a soft rubber. Have seen more than a handful of 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons that drive a lot of gravel, and it really rips those tires up. On the other end, those tires do have some serious traction performance that cannot be ignored. Still not a huge fan of BFG's as they seem dog shit once they get 50% or under. When they are new, they are a very capable tire in about any aspect. I've ran more than a couple sets of those. I won't weigh in as much on the 1/2 tons, but for 3/4 and 1 ton pickups, the Toyo M55 will make any of the above listed look rather silly for longevity and durability on road/offroad. Be warned of the sticker shock though, they are one of the most expensive if not thee most expensive tire out there. Commercial grade essentially. If I were to stay away from a tire, it would be Cooper AT3's (my opinion is geared more towards 3/4 and 1 ton/heavier pickups). Absolute dog shit of a tire, extremely soft rubber. If you're only highway you're fine with them, start running gravel roads on a daily basis and you'll soon find out why they are dog shit.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Taylorman55; 10-10-2018 at 07:20 AM.

2. Back To Top    #62
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,095
    Given: 1,251
    Classifieds
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
    P/4-ply rated top out @ 35#.

LT/C/6-ply rated top out @ 50#

LT/D/8-ply rated top out @ 65#

LT/E/10-ply rated top out @ 80#.
    Rated is probably the wrong term. I probably should have said recommended. I know what the top psi is. But, you aren't supposed to run them anywhere close to that unloaded are you? This is a follow up to the earlier discussion regarding why his wore so fast. I run mine at 40ish all of the time unless I am hauling something heavy a long distance. Btw... above regarding 10 ply ko2s

0 Not allowed!

3. Back To Top    #63
    VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,279
    Given: 576
    I have the BFGs at ko2 on my f250 and keep them between 70-75. No excessive wear going on.

i had just about 50,000 on the first set before replacing them. I have 30,000 on this set and still a good amount of tread left.

0 Not allowed!
    Not too often you get all this neatness in one location. That's called nature.

4. Back To Top    #64
    Premium Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 410
    Given: 1
    You fellas are missing out.
    General Grabber AT2,s are a great tire.

0 Not allowed!

5. Back To Top    #65
    Premium Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 235
    Given: 105
    I've had 2 pairs of BFG AT's and they seemed to wear real quick for me.
    Duratracs are a good tire and I was going to go with them but then decided to try the Toyo CT's. They are a cross between their AT and MT. 10 ply, rated for severe snow. They have been most excellent. Just hit 50k and still got some life in them, and I live in the country and do plenty of heavy hauling. Hunting, etc.

I was hesitant to try them as I hated their AT's, but the CT's are a good tire!! Will buy again.

1 Not allowed!

6. Back To Top    #66
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,591
    Given: 114
    Classifieds
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylorman55 View Post
    I won't weigh in as much on the 1/2 tons, but for 3/4 and 1 ton pickups, the Toyo M55 will make any of the above listed look rather silly for longevity and durability on road/offroad. Be warned of the sticker shock though, they are one of the most expensive if not thee most expensive tire out there. Commercial grade essentially.
    That's what I'm hoping the Nitto Exo Grappler provides me, essentially a commercial tire without having to buck up for M-55's. I'll tell you how they compare in about another 40k Mi.

1 Not allowed!
    When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

7. Back To Top    #67

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 0
    Classifieds
    Take a real hard look at the Cooper Discoverer M+S. I have had this tire on a couple of trucks and they are excellent on ice and snow. They have lots of sipes to grab the ice and clean out the snow. I do take them off in the summer because they made of a softer compound, they are a winter tire. This tire was voted number one for people who haul snowmobiles in the mountains.

0 Not allowed!

8. Back To Top    #68
    Bronze Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 53
    I have Cooper AT3's on my Superduty, hate them in the winter. Traction is garbage on that truck but had them on my wife's fulltime 4X4 Grand Cherokee and they were pretty good. Definitely on the less aggressive side of the AT's, I would not recommend them.

0 Not allowed!

9. Back To Top    #69
    VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,216
    Given: 563
    I spent a bit of time researching last fall and went with the Nitto open country extremes. I have size 305/75/20. They are a little heavier than the Zions that came on my truck but haven't noticed a loss in MPG. Ride is just as smooth but I think there is a little more noise. The Zions wire pretty fast and then started to make noise that's why i replaced. The 80000 warranty on them is the best i found. Pulling a fift wheel i do notice a difference running 75# vs 60# but that is to be expected. 20k+ miles I've little where minuce a tread nob that chipped off. I plan on going back to NW tire and seeing if that will be covered under warranty. So far they have been good in mud and snow. If I don't air down they are a little sketchy on hard pack but so were they Zions.

0 Not allowed!

10. Back To Top    #70
    Silver Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 383
    Given: 26
    Does anyone else starting to think Cooper goes thru bad batches of rubber or something? As far as the AT3's anyway? seems only hear people love them or absolutely hate them. I feel the older ones were better and newer seem to suck. Have had them on a one ton ford didn't keep long enough to see longevity but now have a set on the wife's have ton chevy and have 34,000 miles on them and the still have half or more tread left. We live 7 miles from a paved road and run a lot of other gravel also. We think the traction is great on them also. I have Duratrac's on my One ton Duramax no complaints on them tho either don't get great miles out of them but not expecting to as usually towing and a lot of gravel with that pickup.

0 Not allowed!

11. Back To Top    #71
    Premium Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 515
    Given: 206
    I just replaced the Cooper AT3s on my 1/2 ton with something else. HATED them for winter seem to have shit traction. Also have a Grand Cherokee with those tires and gonna switch those out soon as well

0 Not allowed!

12. Back To Top    #72
    Premium Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 209
    Given: 117
    Question that is a little off topic-

Have people had luck running 8 ply ties on scoria roads without getting flats? Asking for a friend that doesn't like paying $1000+ for a set of 10 ply tires. THX

0 Not allowed!

13. Back To Top    #73
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,697
    Given: 9,331
    I live on a dirt/volcanic road that chews tires up pretty bad. In fact the whole area around me that I hunt, camp and 4 wheel in is volcanic rock with some dirt. Then I have a lot of long (100-700) mile trips on pavement in all kinds of weather to the VA and back so I need good tires that I can rely on year around.

I've run a lot of different tires and tread patterns on my vehicles over the years and have settled on Goodyear Duratrac 10 plys for my 1 ton van. The Duratracs are excellent on dry pavement, dirt, wet roads, ice and snow (with the 3 peak rating I don't have to chain up) and kick ass in the mud so for me they're a great choice for my van.

I went from Super Swampers to BFG AT's on my Willys wagon. The BFG AT's are a good choice for an all around tire for my Willys, not as aggressive as my Swampers but much better than street radials.

0 Not allowed!
    D.A.V. - M.O.P.H. - N.R.A. - Life Member

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234