1 year fishing licenses?

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't disagree than Jan 1 would be easier to remember but I think there are reasons the GF and state legislature keep it April 1

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only went pheasant hunting one time last season. I am requesting I get a refund because that is not fair I paid for a full season and only went once

Seems fair and reasonable to me.............. I'm sure only hunting pheasants one time was not your fault

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
bvious solution would be to have the regulations start jan 1? New year, possibly new rules, better check? Im really surprised so many people are against this idea... I think a big part of it is people just dont like change maybe.
Its not a nightmare for drivers licenses, why would it be for fishing? It would the expiration right on the license Im guessing, how hard is that for a warden to read? Also Johnr mentioned regulations, o

Change does not always equal progress. If there was some great societal need or social injustice, I'd be on board. However, in the grand scheme of life, don't we have something more important to tackle?

For example, there's the time honored question of: Blondes, brunettes, redheads, or Asian? I've still not found a unified voice on this one.

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Change does not always equal progress. If there was some great societal need or social injustice, I'd be on board. However, in the grand scheme of life, don't we have something more important to tackle?

For example, there's the time honored question of: Blondes, brunettes, redheads, or Asian? I've still not found a unified voice on this one.

BRUNETTES, BRUNETTES, BRUNETTES!!! Oh wait, I married a blonde. Lol

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
10 bucks for a fishing license you say. Thinking about this and what it equals:

Probably about 2 packs of cigarettes (guessing)
4 gallons of gas
2-3 beers in a bar (guessing)
2 coffee's at Starbucks
Not even 2 burgers/fries/drinks at McDonald's
Not even 2 fishing lures

You get my drift?

Mocha

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought this thread would have been about more than 1 year licenses. I wish they offered lifetime licenses like the People's Republic of Minnesota does. I'm not 16 anymore so the numbers probabably wouldn't punch at this point in my life.

Ya purchased both my wife and myself the lifetime license at the age on 50 which pencils out to a break even at 17 years......if my memory is correct. Locks in the cost weather they go up or not. The only bummer is I still have to remember to print off a new $0cost license every year for both of us. Not sure why the Peoples Republic (LOL) land of 10,000 regulations could not just put a designation on our drivers license or let us use the nice plastic card they sent us.......I guess that would be too easy! LOL

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Next year. Actually starting tomorrow, I'm not buying a license until I catch a fish. I got WAYYYY better uses for the $10. Hookers n blow, for one thing.

If I catch only crap fish, should I have to pay full price? I mean, seriously, you guys haven't seen me fish. Mostly when I catch a walleye, I snagged it by the tail.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Personally and not meant to piss anyone off (as if that were possible lately), I think people spend too much time thinking of things to complain about. At my age it's much easier to remember that all licenses dealing with hunting and fishing are to be renewed on April 1.

- - - Updated - - -

2-3 beers in a bar (guessing). If you don't know the cost of a beer in a bar, why do you even need a fishing license? I always thought the two went together like Pnut butter and jelly.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
it's clear to me that Lyc is on V's payroll - his threads go way longer than a typical thread every time

stalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya purchased both my wife and myself the lifetime license at the age on 50 which pencils out to a break even at 17 years......if my memory is correct. Locks in the cost weather they go up or not. The only bummer is I still have to remember to print off a new $0cost license every year for both of us. Not sure why the Peoples Republic (LOL) land of 10,000 regulations could not just put a designation on our drivers license or let us use the nice plastic card they sent us.......I guess that would be too easy! LOL

They do for the same reason someone mentioned earlier. Federal dollars are tied to how many licenses are "sold" each year. The renewal thing apparently satisfies that need.

I have the lifetime licenses also - fishing, small game, trapping and rifle deer. It kind of sucks to have to go to a store to renew twice a year (once for sports license and once for deer), but I do always feel good when it's free. I'd do it online, but they charge you for the convenience. I'm too tight for that - especially when I drive right by the places that sell them all the time.

The neat thing about the lifetime licenses is that they are good no matter where you live. I bought mine when I knew I was moving out of state and still at the resident rate. They paid for themselves in a short time versus buying out of state licenses. So now I can get cheap resident ND licenses and hunt and fish in MN for free (not including the $1700 up front).

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Personally and not meant to piss anyone off (as if that were possible lately), I think people spend too much time thinking of things to complain about. At my age it's much easier to remember that all licenses dealing with hunting and fishing are to be renewed on April 1.

- - - Updated - - -

2-3 beers in a bar (guessing). If you don't know the cost of a beer in a bar, why do you even need a fishing license? I always thought the two went together like Pnut butter and jelly.
Never had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in my life. Separate yes but never together. I don't drink and i don't smoke. I have enough problems with my body so don't need it. Can't fish anymore either. Golden years my azz! Enjoy it while you can.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
They do for the same reason someone mentioned earlier. Federal dollars are tied to how many licenses are "sold" each year. The renewal thing apparently satisfies that need.

I have the lifetime licenses also - fishing, small game, trapping and rifle deer. It kind of sucks to have to go to a store to renew twice a year (once for sports license and once for deer), but I do always feel good when it's free. I'd do it online, but they charge you for the convenience. I'm too tight for that - especially when I drive right by the places that sell them all the time.

The neat thing about the lifetime licenses is that they are good no matter where you live. I bought mine when I knew I was moving out of state and still at the resident rate. They paid for themselves in a short time versus buying out of state licenses. So now I can get cheap resident ND licenses and hunt and fish in MN for free (not including the $1700 up front).

fish for free the rest of your life... #$%^&>
Shoulda invested that $1700 and you could have used the gains to

fictitious

retired educator Amen brother . I try to be as positive as I can and ignore the negative but it can get a little overwhelming sometimes. as noticed in my first few posts on here . In my defense I was under the weather on good whisky and wont let that happen again any time soon. most people just want to insult-argue and complain on here. most don't have anything worth arguing or complaining about . such as this topic.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
1047xUIi3HQnmw.gif

weedy1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Apparently my original post got tagged to the spinner topic. Just wanted to mention that history probably has more to do with the fishing license renewal date than anything else. We used to have a closed season each year on most ND fishing waters. It has been a good number of years since that changed. But the start of the new season was a good time for a new license to be required. Just my 2 cents as to why this is now handled the way it is.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 55