17 cal vs 22 mag

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bear creek arsenal also make ar15 uppers in both of the above mentioned calibers incase any of you guys want to be able to just swap uppers around.

I have not shot one so I have no experience with accuracy on them but I have heard good things about them.

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I didn't want to hijack the long-range rifle thread. I'm hearing we need more nonpolitical threads anyway.

So I now live on the edge of a Pdog town and would like to get a 22 mag semi-auto or a 17 cal. I heard 17 cal came in rimfire and this is the first site I went to.

https://www.coyotelight.com/the-wonderful-world-of-17-caliber-rimfires/

I'm intrigued by the 17 rimfire and was if anyone has any personal experience? Also I'm wondering if anyone can help choose which rabbit hole to go down.....22 mag or 17? I have little experience with either of them. I won't be taking too many shots over 200 yards.

Now I'm using my 223 bolt. I need to clean it but on no wind days I've hit 6 or 7 in a row out past 200 yards.
i have both and if its between the 2, 22mag all day

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the one I think would be best but again, pricy

Savage A17 Target Thumbhole Semi-Auto Rimfire Rifle - .17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire​

Motor Mouse

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well my post won’t help this discussion! I have a .22 mag Mossberg 640k Chuckster with a K 4 Weaver. That tells you how old I am! Bought that with trapping money when I was 14. I have a Savage HMR and a 17WSM.

I like them all. 17’s are tack drivers. WSM is a beast! But I’m pretty attached to that old 22 mag! If I had to give one up it would be the HMR. But that’s not going to happen!

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have had a .22mag in my trucks for 35 years. Plain Marlin bolt.
It does nothing spectacular but does what it does quite well.
Has dispatched wounded bear,deer and has killed MANY Other critters.

Winchester 40 grain (gray box) is what it prefers.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know you said Semi-Auto, but, I'd look hard at a Ruger American bolt action as well. I don't know of anything that feeds rimfire cases (especially the longer 17HMR/22 magnum) better than Ruger's rotary magazine, they're just slick. The rotary mags are also plentiful.

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got an older Marlin 783 tube-fed 22 mag. It shoots very well and dispatches gophers, prairie dogs, beaver, coyotes and fox without any problems. I mounted a 3-9x32mm scope on the gun and can group 1-1 1/4 inch at 100 yds. Great gun!

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The thing I like about the .17 rimfires is the accuracy. Once sighted in, you can place the crosshairs on the offending vermin and be relatively certain it is going away if you do your part. You don't always get that with a 22lr.

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have owned a A17 about since they came out. My favorite little gun to shoot, I don't like the magazines. But accurate and it splits gophers in half. I was at dry dock in Carrington a few weeks ago and they had two savage model 93? rifles, one in 22 mag one in 17 hmr. that were I believe a limited offering with nice camo stocks and the bigger cylinder shaped bolt handle. Sharp looking guns.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
After coyote encounter last night I'm definitely getting the semi-auto. Also need a tripod for my spotlight or a new one that comes with one. Or a bracket that fits on a deck railing.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
After coyote encounter last night I'm definitely getting the semi-auto. Also need a tripod for my spotlight or a new one that comes with one. Or a bracket that fits on a deck railing.
Sounds like you need a shotgun w/buckshot.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a bunch of them but they weren't as handy.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
It may be my mistake to post a repeat: Look into the stainless Marlin with a bull bbl. Pard has one zeroed @100 which will stay in a dime from 5 to 100 with all available loads.

He's debating the FMJ for turkey next month for "even less" meat damage. The "exploders" do quite fine breaking backs/necks: He's thinking if he's got one "hung up" past 50; he'll be able to take a body shot but worried about retrieval/wound cavity. I maintain he's overthinking shit and forgotten about the starlings and sparrows dropped with his BB gun.

IOHO: A turkey headshot beyond 15yds is a stunt with a single projectile in most cases.

In the Hills it's legal to set up a hide and overwatch a pasture with a .30/06 etc. This is awesome. Only TWO toms may be killed per hunter. It's not the method: It's the harvest.

Plugged guns were mandated after dbl gunners clutched their pearls about over harvest. I don't watch a lot of hunting shows or hunt waterfowl. My take on both: Pheasant/etc can't be killed with a single round; waterfowl can only be killed in a barrage of flak from multiple gunners.

I went far afield per usual. This is an excellent .17 HMR:

1710046774999.png

Last edited:

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It may be my mistake to post a repeat: Look into the stainless Marlin with a bull bbl. Pard has one zeroed @100 which will stay in a dime from 5 to 100 with all available loads.

He's debating the FMJ for turkey next month for "even less" meat damage. The "exploders" do quite fine breaking backs/necks: He's thinking if he's got one "hung up" past 50; he'll be able to take a body shot but worried about retrieval/wound cavity. I maintain he's overthinking shit and forgotten about the starlings and sparrows dropped with his BB gun.

IOHO: A turkey headshot beyond 15yds is a stunt with a single projectile in most cases.

In the Hills it's legal to set up a hide and overwatch a pasture with a .30/06 etc. This is awesome. Only TWO toms may be killed per hunter. It's not the fucking method: It's the harvest.

Plugged guns were mandated after dbl gunners clutched their pearls about over harvest. I don't watch a lot of huntings shows or hunt waterfowl. My take on both: Pheasant/etc can't be killed with a single round; waterfowl can only be killed in a barrage of flak from multiple gunners.

I went far afield per usual. This is an excellent .17 HMR:

1710046774999.png
Ruger, I assume? Looks like the one my FIL got after watching me bang dogs with my Savage.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88