2018 deer apps

andyb15

Established Member
If i put in for a buck tag in zone A for my first choice and a buck tag in zone b for my second choice will i lose my preference points if my second choice is drawn?

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just put in. First choice buck- 3A3 Second choice- mule deer buck 4C
Also put in for Muzzy.

4 points for rifle and 5 points for muzzy. Not holding my breath.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
If i put in for a buck tag in zone A for my first choice and a buck tag in zone b for my second choice will i lose my preference points if my second choice is drawn?
No. But make sure and double check if you do draw. Happened to me a couple years ago, had a doe as second choice. Lost my first draw pref points. Called to point it out to them and they changed it right there. frustrating, but I guess keeps ya diligent.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
no you wont lose points on second unit buck draw, or even first unit 2nd choice. you only lose points on first unit first choice.

Last edited:

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Also put in for Muzzy.

you have a 91% chance of drawing 3a3 based on last years stats. Why even apply for mule deer second choice? Zero percent chance of drawing.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just loaned my $30 to the state for a few months, haven't purchased the fishing hunting etc licenses yet this year, no husband wife fishing for us as the wife passed her hunters safety course and will be duck hunting. Now to talk her into a deer application so we can double our chances of not getting a tag. (have found found a Savage .243 youth model with a scope for $250 for her, it has less than a box of shells through it and the kid that has it outgrew it)

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
3A3 any antlered is getting to be/has been one of the toughest units to draw in the state for a few years now. Looks like even some mule deer units are easier to draw. Why would you put in for second choice mule deer buck for 4C? Why not put in for something you may have a chance for drawing? Not ripping on you, I'm actually curious.

Also put in for Muzzy.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't take long at all to apply but now the lllllllllloooooooooonnnnnnnnnngggggggggg wait.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, now a guy can get a bonus (preference) point just by purchase? How new is that?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, now a guy can get a bonus (preference) point just by purchase? How new is that?
I think it just started last year. Your not really buying a point, your just basically taking your name out of the lottery for that year. It was basically implemented for people who have some accumulated points but know they wont be able to deer hunt that year. They can still get the point without the risk of getting drawn on a year they cant use the tag.

I think 99% of people will still just put in the normal drawing.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
3A3 any antlered is getting to be/has been one of the toughest units to draw in the state for a few years now. Looks like even some mule deer units are easier to draw. Why would you put in for second choice mule deer buck for 4C? Why not put in for something you may have a chance for drawing? Not ripping on you, I'm actually curious.

I bow hunt ND, my wife bow hunts ND, and I rifle hunt in MN. Rifle hunting in ND would be very much a trophy hunt for me. After the MN trip, I don't have much time to take off for ND rifle. So putting in for 3A3 close to home. And putting in for 4C just for the hell of it, maybe I'll draw 4C second choice and then get struck by lightning all in the same day.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bow hunt ND, my wife bow hunts ND, and I rifle hunt in MN. Rifle hunting in ND would be very much a trophy hunt for me. After the MN trip, I don't have much time to take off for ND rifle. So putting in for 3A3 close to home. And putting in for 4C just for the hell of it, maybe I'll draw 4C second choice and then get struck by lightning all in the same day.

One never knows there lungdeflator, I'm changing up my plans this year, probably not draw my first choice, may even go into MT for antlerless OTC tag. Start building my preference pts for muley in badlands.

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Capture.PNG
looks like 4 points and you should have it. Way better odds than any of the normal mule deer units

Attachments

Capture.PNG

ND58201

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was wondering how it works if a guy picks whitetail buck first choice and doe for second choice same unit. Does preference points play a part in 2nd choice lottery or is everyone in the hat with zero pref pts? some units show people with 4 or 5 points and the antlerless draw rate is like 59%. seems worse than the buck draw rate even though 90% of people put buck first choice? I dont understand how this works with 1st unit 1st choice, second choice, second unit first choice, second choice.what order is the drawing if you apply for all 4? thanks in advance for any help with this!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ain't 100% sure. But, think preference points only play a role in first choice stuff. Which means putting in for a buck as a 2nd choice in any unit is pretty much a waste unless you are putting in for one in the few that are close enough to a sure thing so that they might have some left over after all first choice have been filled.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was wondering how it works if a guy picks whitetail buck first choice and doe for second choice same unit. Does preference points play a part in 2nd choice lottery or is everyone in the hat with zero pref pts? some units show people with 4 or 5 points and the antlerless draw rate is like 59%. seems worse than the buck draw rate even though 90% of people put buck first choice? I dont understand how this works with 1st unit 1st choice, second choice, second unit first choice, second choice.what order is the drawing if you apply for all 4? thanks in advance for any help with this!

I think Sweeney mentioned it earlier. the only draw that affects points is 1st unit 1st choice if you happen to draw anything other than 1st unit 1st choice you will cont to accumulate points and have a tag .

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88