Affordable Line Counter Reel

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
so i want to try getting into a line counter reel with out breaking the bank, i have no idea what i need mostly just pulling cranks, but also i may use them for.... wait for it..... BB and spinners! i dont wanna spend a ton of money on this first one just so i can try it out see if i like it and if i like it i can always upgrade later on, so lets see what you got.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Daiwa that works good that wasn't overly expensive. The Shakesphere tidewater reels that they sell at Fleet Farm
work fine and they are about the cheapest you can get.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
79 bucks for a scheels combo with the okuma plus the might even put some powerpro or fireline on the thing if your lucky

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, or scheels okumas. I have had to exchange a lot of scheels okumas though.

Same here, its to the point I just want my money back.

How much luck have you had returning any reels over 1 year? I have 1.5 years on a couple.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
The least expensive is the reel you now have. Put a weight on the end of your line, go to your backyard, extend your rod behind you, drop the weight on the ground. Now sweep the rod forward with the reel disengaged. Measure the length of line you stripped off with a single rod sweep. If you're consistent, it's surprisingly accurate.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scheels telescopic rod with Okuma linecounter. Nothing fancy. Does the trick. 9 footer and a 5 footer for each side of the boat..

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same here, its to the point I just want my money back.

How much luck have you had returning any reels over 1 year? I have 1.5 years on a couple.

I've returned 4. I spend enough time and money there that I know the guys pretty well. Never had an issue exchanging things.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
well maybe i just need to quit being such a snob and bite the bullet according to you guys, i wonder if they sell them on amazon, that way i can at least get a kick back to NDA and i will sleep better about it! haha

Huskerdu

Established Member
I have Okuma's for my leadcore setups , no problems in 6-7 years, Cabela's I have returned 1 due to the reset button becoming MIA.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get the Scheels SX series, not the standard for 59.99. Made by okuma, run 99.99. Fantastic reel.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have heard nothing but issues with scheels okuma line counters.

Cabelas depth masters are better imo. I think they are made by daiwa.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Diawas are very nice for the money, that being said, I have Scheels Diawas for FL and mono, Okumas for FL and LC and Shimanos for FL. I personally haven't had to return a single one. All worked great. The repeatability a line counter gives you is huge when pulling lures!

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the same Okumas that I bought in 2003. Maybe I do not fish enough... only issue is that the one of them lost the bait clicker when my dad loosened the drag to nothing on a snag, instead of disengaging the clicker.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depth masters are the best cheap one... diawas are the most reliable for the money... I got rid of 4 scheels ones last summer and upgraded to all diawas and have 1 depth master for a backup

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
last fall I picked up a cabelas depthmaster rod with a Daiwa LC27W reel on it for $115. That's what the reel costs alone normally.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
Diawa lc3 sealine runs about $100 for the reel alone... cabelas has the lc5's (cabelas only reel and the only difference is 2 more ball bearings) and usually the same price

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33