Airlines really do suck

ejolliffe

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, my family and I were supposed to be en route to Hawaii this morning on a United flight that was scheduled to leave Minot at 6 am. We have planned this trip for months. We paid extra to get there early afternoon so my boys could hit the ocean/beach, momma and I could get everything settled in, and we could start helping with my grand fathers funeral. Never the less, 7 hours before we leave, we get a new itinerary sent to us saying that not only do we not get there Friday afternoon, but Saturday afternoon!

3 hours of phone calls later, the best they could do was get us there 6 hours late. I am entirely sick and tired of the airlines being so nonchallant about these issues. It wasn't weather related, they had no damn plane! So we will see what comes of it.

Thanks for the rant space, just glad I have a bag full of mini Captain Morgan's as I will need them.

Aloha,

Pissed off Passenger!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel you. In this day and age, when we are accustomed to things going as they should, it's a huge pain when airlines say "oh well, tough $hit".

Two years ago, I spent an extra 11 hours, with wife and kids, at the Minneapolis airport. This was at the end of a week visiting the rat in Orlando, so we were tired. That just flat-out sucked.

One month ago I flew from Dulles in D.C. to Addis, on Ethiopian airlines, and the flight left 2 hours late. No explanation, just late. I had a court date that I needed to make, and of course nobody cared.

Both times, I was just about incredulous, and yet nobody gave a crap. Completely don't care. I get that I fly rarely, and that they won't lose much if they lose my business, but for what airlines cost, they sure have P.O.S. customer service.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have flown a lot, but mostly for work. I used to have major beef with the Bismarck airport. I swear for several years they'd be wheels up 30min late on every flight, which would result in me running to my connection in MSP. They seem to have gotten better (knock on wood). Flying is so convenient, but all it takes is one simple mistake to ruin the experience; like lost bags, missed connections, etc.

In this case, IDK what happened to you, but it's horrible and should never have happened. I'd keep bitching until they give you something back in return for messing with your experience.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Airlines all suck in general … however it pays to do your research between airlines, hubs and connections … with many different travel sites and many people booking their own trips most of the time people just look for the lowest fare … this is not always the best option, while yes all airlines suck, there are some that suck a little less…I for one attempt to plan any trips with the least amount of connections as possible…I know smaller regional airports have less options, and Hawaii is a tough one can’t get around multiple connection on that one…we have a trip coming up so I am crossing fingers all goes smoothly

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^Can do one-stop to Hawaii through Denver on United. when i did it a couple years ago it was $1,300 vs other flights being $1,000 but its worth it. The trouble often comes with flying out of smaller airports. If anything goes wrong with pilots or planes there are no backups, and there you sit until they fly another plane or pilots to you.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Air travel used to be a luxury. Every facet of the experience was treated as-such. Post-9/11, everyone's a criminal and the airlines have gotten so lean that even the minorest of hiccups will cost you 1/2 day or more. There's no longer enough staff nor space on other aircraft for anyone to give a hoot about your lost day nor any plans that have been ruined. You're just another needy/bitchy passenger, at best.

- - - Updated - - -

^^Can do one-stop to Hawaii through Denver on United. when i did it a couple years ago it was $1,300 vs other flights being $1,000 but its worth it. The trouble often comes with flying out of smaller airports. If anything goes wrong with pilots or planes there are no backups, and there you sit until they fly another plane or pilots to you.

I haven't looked in a long time, but, you used to be able to fly direct to Honolulu via Delta/MLPS as well.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Air travel used to be a luxury. Every facet of the experience was treated as-such. Post-9/11, everyone's a criminal and the airlines have gotten so lean that even the minorest of hiccups will cost you 1/2 day or more. There's no longer enough staff nor space on other aircraft for anyone to give a hoot about your lost day nor any plans that have been ruined. You're just another needy/bitchy passenger, at best.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't looked in a long time, but, you used to be able to fly direct to Honolulu via Delta/MLPS as well.

MSP to Honolulu was a thing, maybe 10 years ago. We got bumped into first class. let me tell you, that is the only way to fly. Up in the nose in a 747 was quite the deal.

Was in a 747 3 weeks ago, from Frankfurt to Denver. Used to be the queen of the fleet, but now they're getting long in the tooth. when it was announced that the plane was an old 747, people groaned. I've never been in an A380, but a 777-300R is a lux plane, even in the back.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't understand why this is allowed to happen. From this scenario to politicians kicking normal beings out of first class the airline industry is a disaster.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
While I too have my complaints, I tend to bite my tongue lest I be the next in the news.

That, and I really prefer the crew to have no concerns at all with the airplane before I get on it.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
They should give some sorta complimentary for the inconvenience the changed as caused you, keeping bugging them, tell them what asshats they are screwing everything up.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Last summer at least there was a flight direct from MSP to Honolulu. If you want to go to a different island you are back to a 3rd connecting flight or second at least depending on how you get to MSP.

I understand some situations of delays. The delay may not even be at your airport. If you're leaving from ND you are most likely flying to a connecting flight to MSP or DEN. Bad weather at either of those airports can prevent the plane you're flying on from ever reaching your departure airport.

Delays are inevitable when flying, that does not excuse airlines from poor customer service. They may not have many options but at least pretend you care. Have been on delayed flight where i was treated well, have also experienced the opposite. My last time flying on a round-trip flight there were supposed to be 6 connecting flights 3 each way. Of the 6, 4 were delayed. 3 or the 4 delays I got pretty good service for the next available flights. One was a completed no-care attitude and ended up having to do all my own rearranging. Final result wan't terrible as was only 3 hours late arriving and 2 hours late returning. Neither of which upset any other plans. Just frustrating.

I agree that people probably wouldn't be so easily angered if it appeared that the airline was doing everything possible to help the customer.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I understand your frustration, however everything will be fine. Zoom out a lil bit, you still have your family, health, and are still standing upright. Some people are not as fortunate. Regardless of the annoyances of airtravel, be thankful of the opportunity to spend the time with your family and having the means to be able to. In retrospect, some of my most cherished memories came when things maybe didnt go as planned.

I hope you and your family have a great trip.

Safe Travels

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can still do a direct flight with delta from msp to honolulu. I just checked and sure enough you can. I flew that flight last year in January too.

ETA - for the heck of it, I checked for late February early march and the main cabin ticket was just under $1000. Not too bad really.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
United does one-stop through Denver to the 4 main islands. Id skip Oahu(honolulu) and head to one of the other three (Maui, Kauai, Hawaii). The return flight is overnight which i liked personally. I think we are off topic though at this point. Screw airlines!!:)

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
a 777-300R is a lux plane, even in the back.

Agreed. I used to get to Seattle 3-4 times/yr for work and DVR to Sea-Tac was often a 777. Bumped to Business Class once (never 1st) on a 777, it was very comfy.

ejolliffe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update: still on runway in Minot. 40 minutes watching to people try and untangle a hose to de ice the plane. Will be running now in Denver to catch our connecting flight.....shit show

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
I understand your frustration, however everything will be fine. Zoom out a lil bit, you still have your family, health, and are still standing upright. Some people are not as fortunate. Regardless of the annoyances of airtravel, be thankful of the opportunity to spend the time with your family and having the means to be able to. In retrospect, some of my most cherished memories came when things maybe didnt go as planned.

I hope you and your family have a great trip.

Safe Travels

I bet your friends call you optimistprime

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
was upgraded once to first class from MSP to Anchorage it did not suck .... any international or 5+ hour flights I would definitely spend the money ... most inner continental flights it's not really worth it

campchef

Honored Member
Fly allegiant to Las Vegas, then take Hawaiian Air to Honolulu. Save yourself about $500 per ticket.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 127
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49