American Prairie Preserve

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe here?

Diana Beattie
Diana Beattie Interiors

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/29/AR2006072900706.html

In the New West, Do They Want Buffalo to Roam?

PH2006072900707.jpg
For the first time in more than a century, buffalo calves were born in eastern Montana on land the American Prairie Foundation owns. (Valerie Bruchon -- American Prairie Foundation And World Wildlife Fund)

TOOLBOX
font_resize_small.gif
font_resize_medium.gif
font_resize_large.gif
Resize

Print

Reprints

By Blaine Harden
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, July 30, 2006

MALTA, Mont. -- What are the Northern Plains good for?
The soil is bad, the weather worse and the landscape achingly dull. Collapsing barns punctuate a scraggly sea of brown grass and bleached boulders. The population peaked a century ago, and remaining ranchers cannot stop their children from running off to a less lonesome life.
But a grand new vision is taking shape for this depopulated patch of the prairie. It includes wild herds of buffalo and boomtowns of prairie dogs, as well as restaurants and hotels for high-end tourists who would descend on small towns such as Malta.
If all goes according to plan, land south of here would be resurrected as the Serengeti of North America, joining Yellowstone and Glacier national parks as must-see destinations in the West. As local acceptance allowed, wolves and grizzly bears would join buffalo, elk, moose, mule deer and bighorn sheep on a restored grassland ecosystem, similar to what 19th century explorer Meriwether Lewis described as a scene of "visionary inchantment."
The American Prairie Foundation, which is closely allied with the World Wildlife Fund, expects to have about 60,000 acres of ranchland under its control by fall. Over the next several decades, it intends to buy hundreds of thousands more acres and link them up with federal land -- much of which is now grazed by cattle -- to create a reserve of about 3.5 million acres. Buffalo would run free on much of this land, while fences, cows and cattle ranches would go away.
"This thing is huge, it will affect a tremendous number of people, and it will last a long time," said Sean Gerrity, president of the foundation, which he helped create six years ago.
There are, however, major hiccups in this scheme to re-create the prairie that wowed Lewis and Clark. Some local cattle ranchers say the plan will annihilate their livelihoods, and they vehemently object to the return of wolves to the plains. And another major conservation group, the Nature Conservancy, is pursing its own ambitious vision to conserve the prairie and most of its wildlife -- while keeping cattle and ranchers on the land.
The origin of the money behind the American Prairie Foundation is adding to ranchers' resentment. Donations are coming mostly from wealthy individuals, many of them in the Silicon Valley or on Wall Street. As in such places as Jackson Hole and Aspen, the rich are demonstrating a striking capacity to change land use in the West.
For the wealthy, the Northern Plains and their once-great herds of buffalo are a seductive and iconic cause.
"This is an easy sell," said Diana Beattie, a Manhattan interior designer who summers in Montana and is a well-connected fundraiser among Fifth Avenue's philanthropic elite. "Since the Al Gore movie, I think caring about nature and preserving its purity is on everybody's plate."
Larry Linden, who lives in Manhattan and is a retired general partner at Goldman Sachs, has pledged about $500,000. He compares the restoration of the Northern Plains to the refurbishment of the Statue of Liberty.
"There are lot of folks in New York who spend a lot of time in the West, and this appeals to them," he said. "This is not the heavy hand of the government. Over time, ranch families will find it in their interest to sell."

- - - Updated - - -

MAybe this fella..........

[FONT=&quot][h=1]Paul R. Ehrlich[/h][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Paul%20Ehrlich.jpg

President, Center for Conservation Biology, Bing Professor of Population Studies

Department of Biology 371 Serra Mall Room 409 Herrin Labs Stanford, CA 94305-5020 Phone: 650.723.3171

Research Interests:
Conservation Biology - Evolutionary Biology - Ecology - Population Dynamics - Coevolution

Paul R. Ehrlich received his Ph.D. from the University of Kansas. Co-founder with Peter H. Raven of the field of coevolution, he has pursued long-term studies of the structure, dynamics, and genetics of natural butterfly populations. He has also been a pioneer in alerting the public to the problems of overpopulation, and in raising issues of population, resources, and the environment as matters of public policy. Professor Ehrlich's research group covers several areas. It continues to study the dynamics and genetics of natural populations of checkerspot butterflies (Euphydryas). This research has applications to such problems as the control of insect pests and optimum designs for nature reserves.
A central focus of his group is investigating ways that human-disturbed landscapes can be made more hospitable to biodiversity. This work in "countryside biogeography" is under the direction of Professor Gretchen Daily, founder of the field, and Director of the CCB. The Ehrlich group's policy research on the population-resource-environment crisis takes a broad overview of the world situation, but also works intensively in such areas of immediate legislative interests as endangered species and the preservation of genetic resources.
A special interest of Ehrlich's is cultural evolution, especially with respect to environmental ethics, and he is deeply involved in the Millennium Assessment of Human Behavior (MAHB) which he co-founded with his wife Anne (policy coordinator of the CCB) and Professor Donald Kennedy. Professor Ehrlich is a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the American Philosophical Society, the Beijer Institute of Ecological Economics, and a member of the National Academy of Sciences.
Professor Ehrlich has received several honorary degrees, the John Muir Award of the Sierra Club, the Gold Medal Award of the World Wildlife Fund International, a MacArthur Prize Fellowship, the Crafoord Prize of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences (given in lieu of a Nobel Prize in areas where the Nobel is not given), in 1993 the Volvo Environmental Prize, in 1994 the United Nations' Sasakawa Environment Prize, in 1995 the Heinz Award for the Environment, in 1998 the Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement and the Dr. A. H. Heineken Prize for Environmental Sciences, in 1999 the Blue Planet Prize, in 2001 the Eminent Ecologist Award of the Ecological Society of America and the Distinguished Scientist Award of the American Institute of Biological Sciences, and in 2009 the Margalef Prize in Ecology and Environmental Sciences. Members of Professor Ehrlich's research group have gone on to join the faculties of Princeton, Brown, and the Universities of California, Nevada, Texas, and Florida.

[/FONT]

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
SDMF that sure doesn't look good. I would rather it was the nature conservancy. I wish we hunters had an organization large enough to do something like that. I like the idea, but I don't like the people doing it. Your right it doesn't look good.

Fly Carpin you don't believe there are different rules for different people? In Jamestown the businesses didn't want Walmart, but they couldn't stop them. In Jamestown the lumber yards didn't want Minnards, but they couldn't stop them. In North Dakota the landowners didn't like conservation organizations so I think it was 1977 the legislature passed a law that they had to have permission of the county commissioners and the governor to purchase land. They will tell you they have approved purchases. Look and see how much. It's sort of like letting Minnards bring in only their paint and stains.

Edit: The original conservationists were hunters. Hunters who understood the damage of the market hunters and the destruction of habitat. How the neck did we get usurped by people like those SDMF listed? Did we just loose steam once we corrected the bad things and then let it go? I guess we still have small groups like the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation etc.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
An Athiest , Baptist, And a Jahovah Witness all walk into a bar and this is the conversation they had at closing time and I took the good looking barmaid home.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
This guy.......

David S. Wilcove

wilcove.jpg

Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology and Public Affairs

Office:

446 Robertson Hall
Phone:

609-258-7118
Fax:

609-258-6082
Email:

dwilcove@princeton.edu
External Website:

http://scholar.princeton.edu/dwilcove
Area(s)

• Environmental Issues

Biography

David Wilcove focuses on developing innovative ways to protect biodiversity in North America, Southeast Asia, East Africa, and other regions, blending ecology and public policy. He is the author of two books and many scientific publications, book chapters, and popular articles dealing with the conservation of biological diversity, endangered species, ornithology, island biogeography, and conservation policy. In 2001, he received the Distinguished Service Award of the Society for Conservation Biology. In 1990, he was one of ten scientists awarded a Pew Scholarship in Conservation and the Environment. Ph.D., Princeton University. Prior to joining the Princeton faculty, he was senior ecologist at the Environmental Defense Fund in Washington, DC.

- - - Updated - - -

SDMF that sure doesn't look good. I would rather it was the nature conservancy. I wish we hunters had an organization large enough to do something like that. I like the idea, but I don't like the people doing it. Your right it doesn't look good.

Fly Carpin you don't believe there are different rules for different people? In Jamestown the businesses didn't want Walmart, but they couldn't stop them. In Jamestown the lumber yards didn't want Minnards, but they couldn't stop them. In North Dakota the landowners didn't like conservation organizations so I think it was 1977 the legislature passed a law that they had to have permission of the county commissioners and the governor to purchase land. They will tell you they have approved purchases. Look and see how much. It's sort of like letting Minnards bring in only their paint and stains.

Edit: The original conservationists were hunters. Hunters who understood the damage of the market hunters and the destruction of habitat. How the neck did we get usurped by people like those SDMF listed? Did we just loose steam once we corrected the bad things and then let it go? I guess we still have small groups like the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation etc.

Plains you need to actually learn some facts about stuff before you post.

Meetings of the Natural Areas Aquisition Committee on land purchases are public you can call and log into the conversation. How many times have you bothered plains?

There is a reason I bring up the zoning issue and someones neighbor selling their home in town to Walmart......and ndlongshot spelled it out. Just as zoning laws do not technically by law stop a willing buyer and seller from completing a sale, neither does the states law concerning these nonprofit sales.

You can go ahead and sell your land to DU or the NWF but if they do not use those lands in the manner described in the states law they will be forced to divest.

The entire thing really is NOT much different than zoning laws in that while the sale is technically not blocked, the usage requirements will in all likelihood prevent it in some cases

- - - Updated - - -

Plains have you been by Painted Woods lately? How about the confluence of the Yellowstone and Missouri

Last edited:

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like a bunch of commie, libtard tree huggers looking to save the world but have no clue how the real world works. Think they can solve all the problems From their New York high rise.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sure wish I had the bucks to buy a chunk right in the middle of that before they get their hands on it. Can you imagine? 160 acres and I would be out of my mind happy. Ok to tell the truth I would be ecstatic with 40 acres. 40 acres of what some of my friends would call waste land. It would be just what I want.

Last edited:

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like a bunch of commie, libtard tree huggers looking to save the world but have no clue how the real world works. Think they can solve all the problems From their New York high rise.

So stop and think about the "real world" that Bacon mentions that we have watched expand over the last few decades of catastophic fires.

This outfit subscribes to the "let nature take it's course" ideology when lightening starts a prairie fire. So if and when they do not let fire fighting crews onto this property to stop a fire when it can be controlled, what happens.

The fire then builds and does not recognize their property line and blows over onto private ranch lands. Who is there fighting fires that are now out of control? Who is risking their lives to contain catastrophic fires before they burn out private ranches and communities?
Want to bet how many of these folks involved with the APP will be there sweating and working to save others property?

https://thewesterner.blogspot.com/2016/06/keen-throws-posh-portland-party-for.html

KEEN throws posh Portland party for Owyhee Canyonlands while Malheur County families fight wildfires to protect the land

Ontario, Ore. – KEEN Footwear is throwing a block party tonight to promote its corporate marketing campaign calling for a national monument in the Owyhee Canyonlands in a remote corner of southeast Oregon. Meanwhile, 400 miles southeast of Portland, Malheur County residents have been consumed with volunteer firefighting duties and an early rangeland fire season.

KEEN and its partner, the Oregon Natural Desert Association (ONDA), will offer free beer, music and food trucks in Portland’s Pearl District. While KEEN and ONDA have been planning the “Live Monumental Block Party,” Malheur County residents were working through thick smoke and high winds to hold fire lines to prevent the season’s first wildfire from spreading and devastating the Owyhee Canyonlands.

“We are putting a fire out, that is our block party,” said Mark Mackenzie, board member of the Jordan Valley Rangeland Fire Protection Association and the Owyhee Basin Stewardship Coalition, which opposes a monument without a Congressional vote.

In the proposed Owyhee monument area, and in many parts of rural Oregon, rangeland fire protection associations work in partnership with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management to fight fires. The volunteer firefighters are typically the first responders because they live in the area. On Sunday, one of 400 lightning strikes ignited the Owyhee Canyon Fire about 5 p.m. and eventually burned more than 20,000 acres. About 30 local residents who serve as volunteer firefighters were first on the scene, 38 miles southwest of Jordan Valley, with 11 fire trucks and water tenders. The crews stayed on scene until about 3 a.m. Monday morning.

KEEN and ONDA are lobbying the president to impose more restrictions on our public lands in the Owyhee Canyonlands,” said Vicki Fretwell McConnell, an Arock rancher whose husband is a volunteer firefighter. “But where are ONDA and KEEN when we need the help on the ground? They’re at home on the other side of the mountain, living monumentally. It's our husbands, aunts, fathers, daughters, sons and friends who are out here trying to save the land.”

Last edited:

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Non-profits partnering with federal agency's to advance Buffalo Commons:

National Geographic World Wildlife Fund
Wildlife Conservation Society
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Bureau of Land Management
Montana Audubon
Montana State University
Ft. Belknap Indian Reservation

It certainly looks like this thing is well funded. A lot of big names on the staff and foundation contributors. I found the National Council interesting:

https://www.americanprairie.org/national-council

Michael Soule........the Wild Lands Project
Eric Dinerstein.......World Wildlife Fund
Tom France...........National Wildlife Federation

These people serve on many/many boards pushing their agenda. Tom France served on our North Dakota Natural Resources Trust. The NDNRT was created after the Garrison Diversion Project was shut down. $25 million federal dollars in an account and NDNRT staffs an office from the interest. Tom France and Dave Dittloff (on the NDNRT board) from the National Wildlife Federation in Montana came to North Dakota with their 5% oil revenue rip off scheme to divert money away from the general treasury into their coffers to purchase land.

Here are the names of the Natural Resources Trust employees who helped sponsor their con:

Keith Trego
Jesse Beckers
Karen Kreil (retired)
Genevieve Thompson (retired)

http://ndnrt.com/?id=66 ........and/or......... http://ndnrt.com/?id=67

Not trying to derail the subject here but this is how federal agency partnerships work with non-profits to arrive at a predetermined outcome.

In North Dakota, the Badlands Conservation Alliance is comparable to American Prairie Preserve. Foundations who fund these non-profits want to see results/performance. The ND Badlands Conservation Alliance has been defunded. They are currently looking for a foundation to give/grant them some money.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
In North Dakota, the Badlands Conservation Alliance is comparable to American Prairie Preserve. Foundations who fund these non-profits want to see results/performance. The ND Badlands Conservation Alliance has been defunded. They are currently looking for a foundation to give/grant them some money.
Who would we send our donations to?

I remember one of your posts back when we were debating the Oregon Mormon terrorist take over of a refuge. What was that shoe company that you hated? They sure are comfy. Thanks for the heads up.20180118_130324_001.jpg

Last edited:

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member

I remember one of your posts back when we were debating the Oregon Mormon terrorist take over of a refuge. What was that shoe company that you hated? They sure are comfy. Thanks for the heads up.700full-10.jpg

You mean the ones that have been aquitted now in two seperate courts? :;:lame

Why the need to hilite the religion of some of these defenders of our Constitution plains?

;:;banghead

- - - Updated - - -

I have reservations about some things about APP, but I think hunting has a better future with them than with private ag land.

Plains, why not answer this simple question, who calling the shots on the APP is an avid hunter concerned about the future of hunting?

Most local hunting/sportsmen orgs I know in our state have a heavy dose of "ag" folks on them doing the work and financially supporting them. Our local MRLP pheasant club is mostly farmers and ranchers making up the board. They have done a fair bit for the youth in our area and the future of hunting.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member

You live in Napoleon.

Glass houses.

bigsky2

It is really sad reading this thread. I live next to the APR and went hunting on their land several times this fall. Some of you people don't have a clue. I am all for what they are doing. Most of the places in MT that sell anymore end up going to rich out of state owners that are just looking for their own private hunting ground. It is very rare that places are sold to owners that actually allow hunting access. I would much rather APR ended up with the land than the alternative, at least this way we are able to enjoy the land. They are still grazing cattle on the land I hunted, just in a more conservative way than your average rancher.

It is true, they don't allow elk hunting. That is because they don't have big numbers of elk on their land. Some of their property isn't open to antelope hunting due to lack of numbers. They have their own biologists and from what I've seen so far they do a lot better job of managing game than our FWP. They will allow hunting of those species when they get a viable population in those areas. They reached their buffalo objective this year and just recently had a drawing for the first hunt.

Hunters are skeptics by nature, so I understand where its easy to think the APR has bad intentions. The thing is, the biggest threat to them closing hunting down is lack of support from hunters. The CEO (who is from Montana) recently had an open house meeting here in the town I live in. Of course a lot of the questions he was asked were from hunters worrying about the future of hunting on APR properties. He grew up hunting and believes hunting is very important to our heritage and plans to continue allowing hunting access on the APR. He said the biggest threat to hunting on the APR is lack of support from hunters. The APR has a lot of supporters, and a good number of them don't hunt. There needs to be a good balance of hunting supporters to go along with the APR supporters that don't hunt. If it gets too lopsided in the non-hunters' favor, then that's when we are at risk of losing hunting opportunities on their property. Most of the people I see posting on here aren't helping the cause any.

As for cattle being at risk of getting brucellosis from the buffalo, that is BS. There isn't a single case of brucellosis being spread from buffalo to cattle in Montana. All of their buffalo are tested for brucellosis anyways. Its funny how most ranchers don't seem to care about our over-objective elk herds spreading brucellosis to their cattle when they can charge hunters thousands of dollars to hunt those elk.

It's sad that in this day supporting conservation also makes you get labeled a liberal.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member

I remember one of your posts back when we were debating the Oregon Mormon terrorist take over of a refuge. What was that shoe company that you hated? They sure are comfy. Thanks for the heads up.700full-10.jpg

Plains, are you sure they're comfy? They look brand new. Even a sidewalk outdoorsman has scuff marks.

Bigsky2.......your very first post. Hmm......so what is your profession? For instance, PrairieGhost was a federal biologist who belongs to non-profit societies that advocate for collusion between NGO's and fed/gov. It's really no secret.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
bigsky2 thanks for your insight to what is happening right at your front door.

It's sad that in this day supporting conservation also makes you get labeled a liberal.
Isn't that the truth. Many of our fellow conservatives on here are conservative until it comes to agriculture, then they are socialists. Funny that when a person is for conservation all of a sudden the shoe is on the other foot and they call you liberal. The fact is they want it all and conservation says they can't have it. Why would they want more production when they already want to sell to Cuba to alleviate the surplus and raise the price. They sold to Russia even though that made their neighbors in town pay more for groceries. I remember the cry about selling wheat to Russia, then crying for NAFTA, but on the Canadian border with clubs when Canadians tried to bring wheat here.

If hunters want to ensure their future on this land, then they better get on bored and support it. If it ever comes to an internal vote and there are no hunters what do they expect. Sometimes we are our worst enemy. We have people here riding herd on anyone with a mind of their own.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
It is really sad reading this thread. I live next to the APR and went hunting on their land several times this fall. Some of you people don't have a clue. I am all for what they are doing. Most of the places in MT that sell anymore end up going to rich out of state owners that are just looking for their own private hunting ground. It is very rare that places are sold to owners that actually allow hunting access. I would much rather APR ended up with the land than the alternative, at least this way we are able to enjoy the land. They are still grazing cattle on the land I hunted, just in a more conservative way than your average rancher.

I don;t suppose the devil paints hell as fire and brimstone when he is looking for residents......you would have to ask plainsman though for sure as he is the resident Christian authority on here.

- - - Updated - - -

It is true, they don't allow elk hunting. That is because they don't have big numbers of elk on their land. Some of their property isn't open to antelope hunting due to lack of numbers. They have their own biologists and from what I've seen so far they do a lot better job of managing game than our FWP. They will allow hunting of those species when they get a viable population in those areas. They reached their buffalo objective this year and just recently had a drawing for the first hunt.

They are still seeking funding and support right?

- - - Updated - - -

Hunters are skeptics by nature, so I understand where its easy to think the APR has bad intentions. The thing is, the biggest threat to them closing hunting down is lack of support from hunters. The CEO (who is from Montana) recently had an open house meeting here in the town I live in. Of course a lot of the questions he was asked were from hunters worrying about the future of hunting on APR properties. He grew up hunting and believes hunting is very important to our heritage and plans to continue allowing hunting access on the APR. He said the biggest threat to hunting on the APR is lack of support from hunters. The APR has a lot of supporters, and a good number of them don't hunt. There needs to be a good balance of hunting supporters to go along with the APR supporters that don't hunt. If it gets too lopsided in the non-hunters' favor, then that's when we are at risk of losing hunting opportunities on their property. Most of the people I see posting on here aren't helping the cause any.

Plainsman grew up farming...........I would not bank on him supporting ag much today.

So these APR supporters that do not hunt, how many do not support hunting at all and believe in the management by nature? How many hundreds of millions of dollars are funding this coming from sources that do not hunt or support hunting? Do you honestly believe hunters can match that? Do you honestly believe this funding (some from outside this country) will not hold more sway over the board of this venture than a town hall meeting with a few hunters donating a couple hundred bucks? Who do you think is staying in their $2500 a night yurts? Hunters? Do you think those people spending that kind of money to stay in those yurts support hunting and would like to watch as some hunters shoot a couple majestic bull elk?

The make up of those in power ALREADY is "lopsided" with non hunters (go through the links to their boards and show us those that support hunting if you are so aware and wish the truth to be known) so by your own admission the risk is there to lose what you claim they support while trying to garner support locally.

- - - Updated - - -

As for cattle being at risk of getting brucellosis from the buffalo, that is BS.
There isn't a single case of brucellosis being spread from buffalo to cattle in Montana. All of their buffalo are tested for brucellosis anyways. Its funny how most ranchers don't seem to care about our over-objective elk herds spreading brucellosis to their cattle when they can charge hunters thousands of dollars to hunt those elk.

This claim is simply incorrect at best and disingenuous at the worst. Bison CAN transmit Brucellosis as can elk which there have been a number of cases happening including the Greater Yellowstone area. The reason free roaming wild bison have not been identified as a transmission source is that those wild bison escaping the park were most often shot before being able to transmit the disease. Elk are not and are more populous and able to move more freely about.

When the end goal of 3.5 million acres is reached and a wild free ranging bison heard is established as is the goal, tell us how those animals will be rounded up caught and vaccinated?

The few thousands of dollars a rancher can receive for hunting elk is a paltry figure when compared with what the loss of a brucellosis free state status will cost.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/19/12/13-0167_article

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't that the truth. Many of our fellow conservatives on here are conservative until it comes to agriculture, then they are socialists. Funny that when a person is for conservation all of a sudden the shoe is on the other foot and they call you liberal. The fact is they want it all and conservation says they can't have it. Why would they want more production when they already want to sell to Cuba to alleviate the surplus and raise the price. They sold to Russia even though that made their neighbors in town pay more for groceries. I remember the cry about selling wheat to Russia, then crying for NAFTA, but on the Canadian border with clubs when Canadians tried to bring wheat here.

Holy plains you are once again either ignorant or lying. Those supporting NAFTA were NOT the ones trying to shut down Canadian wheat coming into the states.

If you do not want to be branded a liberal......stop trying to change history and the simple facts like one.

- - - Updated - - -

We have people here riding herd on anyone with a mind of their own.

Indeed we do. Those are the people that tell stories and whoppers and distract from simple fact and truth.

Others share links to information so those with the desire can read for themselves and learn the facts, not a manufactured story designed to drive a narrative.

Plains, Trump would call much of what you post "fake news" and he would be as correct as he is about our media. ;)

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Welcome Bigsky2 , Thanks for sharing your insight. I am on the fence with APR until I learn more about it but I'm in favor of any good conservation plan. Don't be intimidated if someone doesn't agree with you. Keep posting, I like hearing both sides of the story.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Originally Posted by bigsky2

As for cattle being at risk of getting brucellosis from the buffalo, that is BS. There isn't a single case of brucellosis being spread from buffalo to cattle in Montana. All of their buffalo are tested for brucellosis anyways. Its funny how most ranchers don't seem to care about our over-objective elk herds spreading brucellosis to their cattle when they can charge hunters thousands of dollars to hunt those elk.

Brucellosis has been eradicated in all North America except Yellowstone. As a result, the Board of Animal Health in every State require their farmed bison and farmed elk to whole herd test before a live animal can be shipped across a State line. Millions have been spent by ranchers located thousands of miles from the Greater Yellowstone area. Drawing blood from a buffalo is not fun.

Bigsky2, Just ask the North Dakota Board of Animal Health if they think the risk of Brucellosis is BS?

Anyway, the first Yellowstone bison (63 of them) were transferred with no public comment, at night, during a snowstorm to Fort Peck. (sneak attack) There was almost a lawsuit to send them back but they were dropped off on an Indian Reservation. Your tax dollars cannot be used for something like this so Defenders of Wildlife paid the trucking.

Obviously the funds for the trucking were set up in advance. Non-profit Non-governmental orgs operate as surrogates to get things done that would be illegal for federal agency employees to be involved with.

Incidentally, Defenders of Wildlife CEO is Jamie Rappaport Clark. Former head of the USFWS appointed by Bill Clinton.

bigsky2

Bigsky2.......your very first post. Hmm......so what is your profession? For instance, PrairieGhost was a federal biologist who belongs to non-profit societies that advocate for collusion between NGO's and fed/gov. It's really no secret.

I'm a technician on a crude oil pipeline. Yes, it is my first post on here. I was a member of Fishing Buddy for years but since that site is dead I decided to make the move over here.

I'm not saying cattle can't get brucellosis from Buffalo, I'm just saying there's no cases of it ever happening in Montana. Our local elk herd was 400% over objective for a while and you never heard any concerns about brucellosis. Then we bring some buffalo in that have all been tested to be brucellosis free and all of the sudden some of the local ranchers think it's a huge threat. FYI elk and buffalo never had brucellosis until it was transmitted by cattle.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
why dont they allow predator hunting on that land does not seem like sound management at all

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 132
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 49