ANS CLEANING STATIONS in ND or not.

dragoneyes

Honored Member
Last week received a survey from NDGF one of the question on survey do you check for ANS i answered yes i do inspect my trailer and boat. Last question would you use a ANS Cleaning station my answer was no. Really made me think is the ANS Cleaning stations on the long term goal of NDGF. Would like to know what all you anglers and boaters think about this ANS cleaning stations and would you use them.$$$ Do not know if this would be free service or increase in licence fees also has anyone used a cleaning station in another state and what is the cleaning procedure on the trailer and boat. Just looking for some insight on this topic.

campchef

Honored Member
ANS cleaning stations should have been operating at the truck stops or rest areas of all major entries into the state for at least the last 5 years.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd welcome them and I'd use it.

Here's WY's answer to ANS prevention:

[FONT=&quot]There are several regulations in place to protect Wyoming’s resources. All boaters should be aware of these regulations. Any watercraft transported into Wyoming from March 1 through November 30 must undergo a mandatory inspection by an authorized inspector prior to launching. Any watercraft that has been in a water infested with zebra/quagga mussels within the last 30 days, is required to undergo a mandatory inspection by an authorized inspector prior to launching during ALL months of the year. All watercraft must stop at any open watercraft check station on their route of travel, even if not intending to launch in Wyoming.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Any person transporting a watercraft who did not encounter a mandatory aquatic invasive species check station prior to reaching a water of the state may launch without further inspection if the watercraft has a properly affixed seal applied by an authorized inspector and is accompanied by a valid seal receipt during transit. The person transporting the watercraft may remove the seal immediately prior to launching on the destination water and must retain the seal and valid seal receipt while on the water.[/FONT]

I wish our ND G&F was similarly motivated to intercept ANS. I'd be perfectly OK with them being downright bloodthirsty in the enforcement of the above as well.

ND G&F wouldn't want to in any way encumber the MN/WI golden goose though.

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
The G & F dept. can't even provide adequate fish cleaning stations. Lets not waste more of our tax dollars.

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
cd3-station-pic_crop.jpg

I would use this every time leaving the lake to take care of the hard to get off scum line and combat ans.... after i pull out of the water i take a towel around my boat and scrub the water line and pull weeds as i go.... always wished i had a water hose and brush to make this quicker to do at the lake rather than every time i got home

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would use it if they were there. I clean my boat, trailer, and live wells every time I get back from the lake. It would make it nice to have a good cleaning station at the lake. I would even pay to use if I had to. I pay to use a self service car wash now.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No to ANS cleaning stations at lakes that have no ANS. I do think we need to mandate out of state boat inspections at the border crossings. Who knows what the blue platers are bringing here. This includes boats from ND that are re entering. The cost would not be that much in the whole scheme of things.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’d be good with them and use them as legally required. I worry that in the long run, we would lose to ANS anyway. But maybe it could buy us some time to find permanent solutions to the more serious ones, like zebra mussels.

dragoneyes

Honored Member
Cost of the CD3 is around $20,000.00 per unit not counting the cement slap and power source for unit and lights, plus plumbing.Dollar amount can add up real quick. Cost can be offered free or a fee for use, my guess if they put this in operation there will be a fee. Nothing is for free NDGF will recover the cost some how.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cost of the CD3 is around $20,000.00 per unit not counting the cement slap and power source for unit and lights, plus plumbing.Dollar amount can add up real quick. Cost can be offered free or a fee for use, my guess if they put this in operation there will be a fee. Nothing is for free NDGF will recover the cost some how.

Easy! Since the problem is coming from out of state, then let the NR's fund it through increased license fees. Based on 2016 #'s if you increase the full-season individual and husband-wife license fees and incremental $40 each to $85/$100 you'd get another 1,077,000. Then increase the 3-day and 10-day another $25 each to $50 and $60 respectively and you'd get another $829K. All told, that'd be 1.9 million to buy, build, and maintain boat-wash facilities. Could probably fund another cleaning station or two with that $$ as well.

Couple that with mandatory inspections and seals like WY does which I posted above. Start the fines @ $500/violation. Plug in your bilge, $500. Plug in your live well another $500. Failure to obtain inspection seal, $1500 fine. Any visible ZM's or weeds, $2500 fine and your boat is expelled immediately from the state or quarantined for 45days, owner's choice.

Stupidity and/or flat out ignoring state law oughta hurt. Alot.

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I wouldn't mind an increase in fishing license cost to fund units being put up....i would hate to have to carry quarters around to put in the machine, be nice to pull up and push a button or turn a valve and do what i gotta do then shut it off when I'm done

Last edited:

dragoneyes

Honored Member
SDMF-Good point, but not everyone will use this service might even have a decline in licences sold if fees go up. I am sure there are a lot of people that only fish 3 or 4 times a year and could not afford a drastic licence increase. Will be a interesting conversation if this becomes reality.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
SDMF-Good point, but not everyone will use this service might even have a decline in licences sold if fees go up. I am sure there are a lot of people that only fish 3 or 4 times a year and could not afford a drastic licence increase. Will be a interesting conversation if this becomes reality.

The license fee increase is ONLY for non-residents. The problem is coming from out of state, so non-residents can pay for it. If you cannot digest an extra $25 for a 3-10 day license or $40 for a full season licenses when you're already paying all the travel expense to get here, then so be it. If the steep fines scare you into leaving your boat home, that's fine too. Deterrence of spreading ANS through education, enforcement, and outright fear is fine by me.

dragoneyes

Honored Member
The license fee increase is ONLY for non-residents. The problem is coming from out of state, so non-residents can pay for it. If you cannot digest an extra $25 for a 3-10 day license or $40 for a full season licenses when you're already paying all the travel expense to get here, then so be it. If the steep fines scare you into leaving your boat home, that's fine too. Deterrence of spreading ANS through education, enforcement, and outright fear is fine by me.
Totally agree with your statement. Sorry misunderstood.

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I paid 300 bucks for non resident husband and wife fish lic last year in Montana.... if they needed the money for the cd3 and charged me an extra 25 to 40 bucks then so be it.... at least i know i my boat has a less chance of bringing stuff home to north Dakota.....ps i know Montana doesn't have ans issues i was just using that as example

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would have not problems with an ANS station about 5 miles west of West Fargo and Grand Forks as a start. These things are all coming from the east.

I tend to keep my rigs free of weeds, etc and put even more emphasis on cleaning the boat and livewell if I am going to a different body of water. A gallon of bleach goes a really long ways. I like to put a little in the livewells every now and then to just combat the odors.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33