ATV Chains - Ladder or Diamond? V-Bar or Studded?

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
While plowing some snow the other day with my old 200 TRX, one of the v-bar chains that goes across the width of the tire broke. I tried welding the link shut again, but no dice. Shopping for new chains right now and can't make up my mind, as the only experience I have with any tire chains comes from the set that just broke down on me. I'm looking at either going with a 2-link ladder v-bar or a diamond-style studded set. These will be used on a two-wheel drive Honda FourTrax TRX with weight on the back for added traction. Half of the time I use this to clear snow in my driveway and the other half of the time it's used for icefishing. As far as ice conditions go, it can be smooth glare ice, heavily drifted in, or windblown ice that's very bumpy and rough. What do you all recommend for this setup? 2-link v-bar or diamond-style studded? The driveway is cement, and I'm a bit worried that the cement may get beat up by the studded...just not sure and this is my first year using the ATV for snow removal. The original 4-link v-bar chains worked pretty well for icefishing, but if there's something out there that I'll be happier with, I'd love to hear about it!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Incase you decide to make a quick fix repair on what you have now to get you out of a pinch you could use a cold shut .

images

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
Incase you decide to make a quick fix repair on what you have now to get you out of a pinch you could use a cold shut .

images
yhanks. Have thought about using a quick-link or lap link but probably need something new - a more permanent fix. That may get me by for a little bit though...will try it. Opinions on v-bar vs studded? Ladder vs diamond?

Last edited:

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use bar ladder chains. Kid busted a cross bar just used a cold shot. I'm not to worried about it to much. Chains have been good and are moose brand. Use to be able to buy replacement parts a d haven't seen them in awhile at home of economy.

dgully

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought regular car chains for my UTV and the lugs on my tires are too deep and the chain falls in between lugs. my next chains will be diamond shaped

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 98
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 33