Bee Stinger Stabilizer

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
After shooting bow all summer and never being all that satisfied with my longer yardage groups, I decided to try a new stabilizer. Have weeded it down to the Bee Stinger Sport Hunter Extreme, but wondering if I should go with the 8" or 10". Primarily hunt on the ground. Do a bit of stand hunting late season, but that's definitely the exception to the rule. Anyone else run one of these? Thoughts?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Longer stabilizers tend to work a bit better IMO, but that comes at a price. Hunting out of a ground blind will make the longer stabilizers a PAIN IN THE AZZ!!!!! They hit EVERYTHING or at least I hit everything with them. Walls are especially troublesome when you have to follow a deer from window to window at full draw. Spot and stalk hunting they are a horse apiece so take your pick and from a tree stand, no problems with the longer ones. I run an 8 inch, but I don't shoot over 30 yards. Hope you find what works for you.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks bud. I should clarify, I mostly hunt on the ground spot and stalk. No blinds. I'm already weighted down with the 50lb bag of feed corn on my back haha

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agree with KDM. I run and 8" on one set up and a 10" on the other. Try to find the weight/length combo that balances your bow. My 8" has more weight at the end than my 10" does and I notice the difference. Get one of each? You can have a shorter one for the tree stand and short shots, while switching to a bit longer one for the open shots of a spot and stalk.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
imo there is no way a stabilizer is going to make the difference between a kill or not - 99% of the time

the difference between a few inches of stabilizer (or even none) under controlled conditions with modern bows is trivial for hunting is it not?

stabilizers are for increasing x counts IMO

and if someone makes the "in long distance shooting it matters" argument I would counter that even the variable of a slight breeze or distancing accuracy or uphill/downhill renders the stabilizer effect insignificant comparatively

you'd be better off investing in some other aspect like forward weighted arrows or big difference maker

Truly,
Ima Blowhard

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a beginner in archery but I would have to agree with guy...in a perfect wind free situation it may help a bit, but a difference in 2" I don't think would be noticeable in the field

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
imo there is no way a stabilizer is going to make the difference between a kill or not - 99% of the time

the difference between a few inches of stabilizer (or even none) under controlled conditions with modern bows is trivial for hunting is it not?

stabilizers are for increasing x counts IMO

and if someone makes the "in long distance shooting it matters" argument I would counter that even the variable of a slight breeze or distancing accuracy or uphill/downhill renders the stabilizer effect insignificant comparatively

you'd be better off investing in some other aspect like forward weighted arrows or big difference maker

Truly,
Ima Blowhard

Mr. Blowhard, I completely agree that the difference in hunting situations is minimal. As for forward weighted arrows, I'm already running Grizzly Stiks. 650 grain total package weight, and 21% forward of center. They're awesome. But if I can tighten up my groups at the range, it will do wonders for my confidence. And ego. And also the stabilizer that's currently on the bow looks like some sort of studded "device". Makes me uncomfortable.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you truly optimize the stabilizer set up to balance the bow at full draw your trade off will be between added stabilizer length or added overall bow weight. To achieve the same moment you need more weight on the shorter stabilizer rod. The longer the rod the less weight is needed to achieve the same thing.

Only you can decided if the longer rod will become an issue in the field. I am using a 10" rod for the past few seasons but am thinking about switching to a 12". Sometimes its a pain, but really during the shot (when it counts), it hasn't been an issue. You have an arrow sticking 18" out of the front of the bow anyway (before you draw).

I think about archery as a game of inches. Targets or Animals, a 1/2" will count at some point or another.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I read an article somewhere that after so many inches, your stabilizer length was just extra unneeded weight. I think it was 8".

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run an 8" with the Stinger angled down Quick Disconnect. So i'ts more like a 9" stabilizer, with a 10 degree downward slope. I also have it set up so it kicks slightly left of riser (opposite side of quiver for me). The bow balances great, and shoots great.

The debate between an 8 or 10" probably isn't important. But there is no debating that some sort of stabilizer makes for a better shooting bow. IMO

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never did like the weight of the stabilizers while I hunt. They don't help me for shorter distances I shoot. The elite bow I have now came with a very nice one for hunting. Took it off right away

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
last night I walked out of my house - stopped at what I figured was 60 yds from my old block target sitting on the lawn - shot 5 arrows - and went back in the house cuz I had other stuff going on

I like to "shoot long cold" because that's how I'll shoot in the field

I have no idea if this is "decent" or not because I never shoot at ranges or with other archers anymore - but it makes me feel like I can probably stick a deer out in the badlands this fall if/when I encounter a decent stalking opportunity

2017-08-08 18.57.49.jpg

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought an 8" Bee Stinger stabilizer a few years ago with the same intention. I wanted to tighten up my groups. I shoot a Mathews Z7 Xtreme and I did not notice a difference at all with it. I believe the new bows with horizontal limbs require a longer stabilizer since the limbs extend out so far past the riser. If you are going to buy one, I would go with the 10"er.

I am not saying it wont help you, mine is the older version with the round disc weight off the end. I only noticed more weight and something in the way most of the time... so mine is setting on a shelf collecting dust. I decided to go with less weight and less arm fatigue. I figured I would be more accurate in the long run on my all-day hunts carrying around a lighter bow. My hunts I am concerned about are 2 week elk hunts where you are carrying your bow around all day. If I am whitetail hunting from a treestand, I am accurate enough to kill at whitetail distances without needing a stabilizer.

I am sure the results can differ depending on bow/setup and the person shooting. The only way to know if it will make a difference is to try one out. I wonder if you could demo one at Scheels and shoot on their range. Then you could see if it helps. If you pick one up, let us know if it helps. Good Luck!

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am sure the results can differ depending on bow/setup and the person shooting. The only way to know if it will make a difference is to try one out.

This is true.....Just like packs, boots or anything else for that matter. Find what works for you.... I would rather not have the weight on my bow, but I'm certain that it helps me shoot better so I deal with it.

- - - Updated - - -

I decided to go with less weight and less arm fatigue. I figured I would be more accurate in the long run on my all-day hunts carrying around a lighter bow. My hunts I am concerned about are 2 week elk hunts where you are carrying your bow around all day.

I've really come to appreciate this:

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/neet-n-br-2-bow-rest-black.html

Rig it up with a quick attach sling around your neck so its just long enough for the bow to sit in the holder, and you can actually hike pretty good with the bow on your hip.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I read an article somewhere that after so many inches, your stabilizer length was just extra unneeded weight. I think it was 8".

That would be false. Almost the opposite.

You need to separate out the vibration killing function of some stabilizers with that of actually stabilizing your bow/shot sequence. They are two different things.

There is a better argument that any stabilizer less than 6" will offer little stabilization benefits. unless you are adding over a pound of weight.

Sometimes the trade off is worth it. If I am high country mule deer hunting or something like that I might look at setting up my bow with a short stabilizer that only focuses on vibration dampening and practicing with the bow that way. It would eliminate 10-16oz on my bow. However, my comfortable range might be shortened up some if practice shows opened up groups.

- - - Updated - - -

I am sure the results can differ depending on bow/setup and the person shooting. The only way to know if it will make a difference is to try one out. I wonder if you could demo one at Scheels and shoot on their range. Then you could see if it helps. If you pick one up, let us know if it helps. Good Luck!

Exactly, every bow and archer will be different as to what it takes to get to the best set up.

This is where just throwing a 8" bar with 8oz of weight on the end of it might do you no good, make it worse depending on the balance of the bow, or it could be the optimum thing to do.

You want your stabilizer set up, front bar and back bar, to balance your bow while also increasing the bows moment of inertia and pushing the center of gravity lower on the bow. All of this will reduce your pin float and, all other things equal, tighten up your groups(consistency).

Its a balancing thing though and like most things improving one aspect might hurt something else....

PAIN

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run the 8". didn't notice the difference out to 40 yards, but out to 60 yards I noticed better groups. like others have said, it all falls on the shooter and what works best for you.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the 10". They all have interchangeable weights, so you can make adjustments until you find what works for you.

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the 10" with a 6" side bar. Haven't had any negative issues with it, but I set my bows up to be a little heavier and in return I get less movement.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31