Bismarck: I look down at the ground when people ask me where I am from

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Key here to putting in basement is having sump pumps and drain tile, period regardless of high water table or not, put 4 in if you have too...it isn't rocket science. Seen alot of basements that got flooded that didn't have them back in '10'11'12 I think, my brother is handy man, he got so many calls to put them in..it was unreal.

Yeah it is but back in the 70's when the houses were built - not so much of a thought then.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Key here to putting in basement is having sump pumps and drain tile, period regardless of high water table or not, put 4 in if you have too...it isn't rocket science. Seen alot of basements that got flooded that didn't have them back in '10'11'12 I think, my brother is handy man, he got so many calls to put them in..it was unreal.

Drain tile became code in the mid 80's in Bismarck & Burleigh county

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or expect the people upstream to hold back the water on their land for them and the people in the diversion path to loose everything they have aquired over their lifetime

When farmers are doing spring tillage between Mapleton and Casselton but Fargo is erecting Esko walls, temporary earthen dikes, there are thousands of people filling sandbags @ the FargoDome, and thousands more placing them all over F/M for total strangers, there are some drainage issues that need to be discussed.

IMO, the Bismarck issue is far easier to solve, there's places, LOTS of places to go within city limits with full city services that don't have any risk of flooding via fluctuating Missouri River levels. Nor do they have any real danger of flooding due to agricultural drainage either.

Chicken/Egg. Is the problem where the water's coming from and how fast it comes? Or, is the problem where the water ends up and how long it stays there?

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah but seriously the corps of engineer should have known this was coming ...last year even and run the river super high all last summer to make sure they had room for this year. they probably should have turned up the releases as soon as they could this spring as well.....oh shit wait that's exactly what they did! How quickly people seem to forget how high the river was all last summer and she was high for a reason.

The reality of this is pretty simple we're currently sitting at 1/3 the flow we were running at this exact point in 2011 and we're only at 1/4 of what we maxed out at. These two events share only the fact that they flowed down the same river in common with each other after that they're nothing alike. Now drop a years worth of rain over in Montana in two weeks and we're going to have her much better comparison so let's knock on wood and hope that s*** don't go down.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
History, coulda woulda shoulda’s don’t matter guys. What we don’t know is that we don’t know. We have 7 decades of history on what this reservoir is capable or incapable of. That nothing! Everyone needs to realize that it will flood again. It may be way worse next time. It’s up to you whether you wanna deal with that or get the heck off the bank.

I don’t want anyone to flood, but nature is unpredictable and to think anything less is just foolish. What this event does will likely be nothing. But it is yet another reminder of what WILL happen again someday.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah but seriously the corps of engineer should have known this was coming ...last year even and run the river super high all last summer to make sure they had room for this year. they probably should have turned up the releases as soon as they could this spring as well.....oh shit wait that's exactly what they did! How quickly people seem to forget how high the river was all last summer and she was high for a reason.

The reality of this is pretty simple we're currently sitting at 1/3 the flow we were running at this exact point in 2011 and we're only at 1/4 of what we maxed out at. These two events share only the fact that they flowed down the same river in common with each other after that they're nothing alike. Now drop a years worth of rain over in Montana in two weeks and we're going to have her much better comparison so let's knock on wood and hope that s*** don't go down.

What everyone seems to be forgetting is the COE felt they had everything under control in 2011 until the major rains came in Montana and then they realized they didn't have enough storage to accommodate it.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
14 day outlook - dryer than normal . Kurt wants dry --- weather gods said ok

Timbuk-2

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you should be able to build your house any where you want. However, if you build next to the river, or in a flood plain it's your responsibility. No public buyouts, no publicly subsidized insurance, no publicly funded flood protection. You made the decision, you pay for the consequences.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fargo should have built a diversion a long time ago, like Winnipeg did.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
What everyone seems to be forgetting is the COE felt they had everything under control in 2011 until the major rains came in Montana and then they realized they didn't have enough storage to accommodate it.

Well I for one will take an occasional flood to the 2011 level over running the lakes way to low and drying them up 3 out of 5 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't the Hoge Island residents reject the flood plan for their area? Or am I mis-remembering something?

Don't know if hogg did but I know fox did! Then got all pissy when the road was going to be raised in front of their homes.

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I for one will take an occasional flood to the 2011 level over running the lakes way to low and drying them up 3 out of 5 years.

-

Don't know if you've did but I know fox did! Then got all pissy when the road was going to be raised in front of their homes.

so you are ok with them running the lake up to the rim and dumping massive amounts of water along with fish and baitfish. I didn't visit the dam in 11 but I remember 97 when they had the tunnels open and all the dead fish as far as one could see down the river. No one is saying drain it all out just leave a little more freeboard so on above average snow pack we aren't one major rain event away from flooding

xxxxx

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know if you've did but I know fox did! Then got all pissy when the road was going to be raised in front of their homes.

i believe fox island guys were against the dike on the river side of their homes not the road

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Williston won't let you have your basement floor below the 100 year flood level on new houses as of about twenty or more years ago

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Williston won't let you have your basement floor below the 100 year flood level on new houses as of about twenty or more years ago
Same in Bismarck but if your lot is out of or removed from the flood plain the code may not apply. I assume they are talking about the houses south of Burleigh ave I think it's called whispering bay which is a man made lake. They used the soils removed to create the lake to raise the area out of the flood plain. I don't recall hearing any of those houses having water in them in 2011

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fargo should have built a diversion a long time ago, like Winnipeg did.

Or there could be other options like dredging, clearing major blockages, not having houses on top of the river, etc but none of those are perfect either. My point is are those that want to live next to the river for 1-8yrs more important than family farms that are 1-5miles away for decades? I find it funny how everyone acts like they have the answer, including myself, but in the end we all get burned/wet. Water does what water wants no matter what we think, in Fargos case will it help in wet cycles? Probably but it will mean others suffer somewhere and I GARRAN-DAMN-TEE you will not see near as many city folk helping to protect the surrounding communities and family farms.
This is coming from one that has no horse in the race but my opinion is based off what I have seen ever since 1997 and helping ever since when needed. Fargo and Bismarck situations are very different in my opinion so I'm not playing apples oranges

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think, and I am going to catch a lot of shit over this, that the diversion around Fargo should change the border with Minnesota to reflect that that fact and cede that to Minnesota so whatever is east of that will be no longer be ND. WIN , win in my opinion, gets rid of Heidi too

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 43
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14