Bismarck roads and driving

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
At what point can you treat a red light as a stop and proceed? How long do you legally have to wait before going?

grumster

★★★★★ Legendary Member
At what point can you treat a red light as a stop and proceed? How long do you legally have to wait before going?
Who you asking? LE? I drive late at night and ”can” sit starting at a light, tell me who the lemmings are.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Who you asking? LE? I drive late at night and ”can” sit starting at a light, tell me who the lemmings are.
For example sit at red for X amount of time…you decide to go and get pulled over and ticketed. What would be reasonable to be able to fight the ticket?

grumster

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For example sit at red for X amount of time…you decide to go and get pulled over and ticketed. What would be reasonable to be able to fight the ticket?
By law, yep that’s an infraction but I will say I’m the last guy you’d want to pull over.. it’s just my nature. Is ageist a thing because I think I have it.. common sense isn’t so common anymore.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
By law, yep that’s an infraction but I will say I’m the last guy you’d want to pull over.. it’s just my nature. Is ageist a thing because I think I have it.. common sense isn’t so common anymore.
So you could sit at a red light for 30 min and go and still be ticketed? I thought there was a time frame where you could act as if it was just a stop sign?

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
1000018465.png

grumster

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So you could sit at a red light for 30 min and go and still be ticketed? I thought there was a time frame where you could act as if it was just a stop sign?
I’m not a lawyer, you may need one of those bottom feeders to answer that one. Me? I’m home in bed by then.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha I figured that’s what you were going at…..I have also strategically did the right turn. Right turn trick when my patience gets to “f this” territory

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
One morning I sat at a flashing railroad crossing by Keif ND for at least 10 minutes without a train before I decided to go around the arms. Came through the same crossing later in the day and the arms were still down and lights were still flashing. I suppose technically I could have received a ticket but for that the officer would have to be a complete jackass to do that

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

I don't know that there is a legal limit to how long a red light can keep you stalled out. Back in ~2009, I lived north of Bismarck. Late one night on my way home from work, I stopped at a red light up at the Hwy 83 and 1804 intersection, I needed to make a left-hand turn. I sat through two complete cycles on the lights before I decided to take a left on red with NO vehicles in sight.

Yep, a Burleigh County officer was parked up the road about a quarter mile in the dark and pulled me over. Didn't give me a ticket, but also didn't care that I had already sat through two light cycles. Only thing he was interested in was catching DUIs.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't know that there is a legal limit to how long a red light can keep you stalled out. Back in ~2009, I lived north of Bismarck. Late one night on my way home from work, I stopped at a red light up at the Hwy 83 and 1804 intersection, I needed to make a left-hand turn. I sat through two complete cycles on the lights before I decided to take a left on red with NO vehicles in sight.

Yep, a Burleigh County officer was parked up the road about a quarter mile in the dark and pulled me over. Didn't give me a ticket, but also didn't care that I had already sat through two light cycles. Only thing he was interested in was catching DUIs.
I would also and have gone on red. I would just like to know if there is an actual law. So you got pulled over and I am sure he was trying to get DUI drivers but could a guy get out of DUI if he pulled you over and you sat for the cycles. Not speaking from experience just curious ha

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One morning I sat at a flashing railroad crossing by Keif ND for at least 10 minutes without a train before I decided to go around the arms. Came through the same crossing later in the day and the arms were still down and lights were still flashing. I suppose technically I could have received a ticket but for that the officer would have to be a complete jackass to do that
Someone long time ago told me going around rail crossing guards you can damn near lose your license..do you know if there is any truth to that?

I know for cdl they lose it for a certain time period and it gets progressively worse with each infraction but curious about regular license.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

Sounds like a DUI sting operation.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
But did you happen to see any roosters nearby to eliminate while you were waiting?:cool:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I lived in Lincoln NE we went around them all the time.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Washburn had an hp that would park on the side of the road around midnight on 200 between Washburn and Hensler with his lights off. When cars approached he would turn his lights on and if one didn’t dim their lights immediately he would pull them over, he wrote many DUI’s for those who were headed to the River RT Saloon.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I suppose lawyers would have to subpoena for the info. Can't imagine the traffic dept would be willing to stall a light..would think they could be liable
Yes, if it was purposely stalled I believe it would be entrapment but I don't know how you could prove it was ?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 144
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51