Boat ownership sucks

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I knew the area and wasn't in search mode, I would go fishing. Getting back to the basics isn't all bad sometimes.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
As the responses to this thread continue to come in, I'm even more convinced to not have a boat.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's why you have more than one graph! I'd still probably fish if I was on the lake, but I depend on my gps while on the river.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you can get into it try the factory reset. If all else fails sometimes throwing against a wall jumpstarts things.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have forgot my electronics and ruined my day on a lake I wasnt fAmiliar with. I see his point. At the same time I don't have half the gear other people have however the gear I have overwehlms a person. Make sure this is on make sure that is running. Run the boat what happen to this etc etc. I had alot better time taking one rod and a couple plastic worms and casting until the bass chewed up the worms then go through the motions one needs to do now with a boat and passengers.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nothing wrong with a good old bobber and worm, getting tired of this $1,000.00 here and a $1000.00 for stuff that lasts only so long

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boat maintenance, insurance, fueling it, storing it, chasing electric problems, engine issues.......ALL SUCK!! Seeing my daughter smile when she gets to swim off the boat, watching my aging father school me on how to catch walleyes, and spending time with family and friends in that same boat make ALL THE SUCK pale to insignificance. The thing known as a boat is meaningless to me without the cherished memories it has provided! This suck will pass and when the walleyes are coming over the gun rail I doubt you will even remember this frustration.
Here's to things getting better....:;:cheers

Last edited:

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
The more sophisticated these boats get, the more things that can go wrong with them. Its why they say BOAT stands for "break out another thousand", or the two happiest days for boat owners are they day they purchase it and the day they sell it.

Nobody is forcing anybody to use all these high end boats and electronics. I have caught a hell of a lot of fish with my 16" Lund tiller with a simple trolling motor and depth finder. I don't think I've spent over a $1,000 in maintenance in the 17 years I've owned it.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM knows of what he speaks, maybe in a week or two I will share my most recent outing. As is, I am not yet sure if it was good, bad, or something in between.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
As the responses to this thread continue to come in, I'm even more convinced to not have a boat.

a boat would mean less smart phone / internet time

like you needed another 'reason'..........

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I know the place where I'm fishing I could go without, Like the river. . Sak. could do that but not comfortable. I feel your pain. GPS on the river been looking for stuff on the shoreline for years when navigating before GPS still do.

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure if this is the problem with the original poster or not but I was looking at updating my graphs, link and trolling motor last week and read on hummingbirds site that you need to do the correct updates in the correct order or you could have problems. Not sure if that's the case here or not but it's good to know for anyone looking to update their software on their gadgets. Read the instructions.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Note one thing is it's not the "boat" or "boat brand" or how much one paid for "boat". 99% of the time it's a piece of equipment used on the boat.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I currently own 4 boats. They all have their quirks both positive and negative. I find that it is better to talk nice to the thing that carries you out to the watery abyss and back. Either way, I love them all mostly equally. Well, except the 10 footer. That one could be bought.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If I am going to a lake that I am unfamiliar with I go to G&F and print off a copy of said lake and study it and take it with. I don't go in blind that way.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Remember when you had to line up the lone tree on the south shore with the radio tower on the east shore to find the hump you want to fish on and then try to hold the boat over it? Caught a lot of fish back then, however driving up to the spot and hitting the anchor button is a little more convenient.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM knows of what he speaks, maybe in a week or two I will share my most recent outing. As is, I am not yet sure if it was good, bad, or something in between.

ha ha ha - oh man....

- - - Updated - - -

Boat maintenance, insurance, fueling it, storing it, chasing electric problems, engine issues.......ALL SUCK!! Seeing my daughter smile when she gets to swim off the boat, watching my aging father school me on how to catch walleyes, and spending time with family and friends in that same boat make ALL THE SUCK pale to insignificance. The thing known as a boat is meaningless to me without the cherished memories it has provided! This suck will pass and when the walleyes are coming over the gun rail I doubt you will even remember this frustration.
Here's to things getting better....:;:cheers

You have/use a boat? Coulda fooled me.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Things breaking down when least expected is always no fun. Just fun reading all these posts and see everyone has a variety of experiences, some of you are piling $$$$ after $$$ on issues, and others have very few issues. I also think that most of you are getting WAAAYYY to dependent on electronics just to fish, whatever happened to going with our instinct and trying a spot here and there, isn't that whats its all about??? I agree it helps with navigation on said river or lake and speeds up on locating fish, but cmon on man, learn to old school it for once.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think I have ever willingly "updated" the software on my electronics. I figure the frigging manufacturer probably had the code about right when they brought the thing to market. I know software updates on my phones has probably led to me buying a new phone sooner than I would have cared for on several occasions.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 28