Boat towing question

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking to upgrade to a newer small SUV/Wagon and have found a 2018 Subaru Outback that seems to fit the bill. I hadn't intended to use it to tow my boat but after doing some research I see it has a tow rating of 2700# with a tongue weight of 200#. Engine HP is rated at 175 which I'm pretty sure is marginal at best. It doesn't have a receiver hitch but I can put one on and wire it for about $200. I've been pulling my boat with my old 1998 Suburban just fine but if this Outback can handle the boat I could get rid of the suburban. Does anyone own an Outback and what is your opinion of their towing capabilities? My boat is a 1991 Lund Tyee II with a 90 HP Johnson, Minnkota 24 volt trolling motor and a single axel trailer. Lund propaganda says the boats dry weight is 910# so I'm estimating the loaded boat and trailer would weigh +1500#. If you know anything about Subaru Outbacks I would like to hear your thoughts.

HammsRMK

Honored Member
How far will you be pulling the boat? My uncle has pulled his 1998 Lund pretty close to what you have listed about 6-7 miles with his Honda Civic not the best option but he new he was no going far all flat land and did not try and pull it 70 MPH. The other thing might be getting it out of the water up the boat ramp.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is the Subaru an automatic or manual transmission? I MIGHT try it for short distances with a manual, never with a CVT auto. Get any appreciable amount of water in the hull and try to pull it out up a steep and/or slippery ramp and you'll have a gong-show of the highest order.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My $.02

Unless you are a west coast lesbian with a vagina hat, maybe the Subaru is not the correct vehicle for a ND outdoorsman.

Again, just my opinion, that I find necessary to share

bilbo

Honored Member

While most engines run on plain gasoline and the Octane rating is important, Subarus depend on a granola blend and Oatane is the number you're looking for. You'll have to ask the station owner/operator for their numbers as they're not generally displayed on the pump.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If its the 4cyl model your going to be pushing the limit. If its the 6cyl you should be OK. Just bought a new Forester this spring and for a 4cyl she got some snap and is real good in the snow and ice as long as your not 10' tall and bullet proof. A little common sence goes a long way. LB

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you currently have a Subaru wagon and a suburban why not just get rid of them both for a medium size truck/SUV that's actually capable of towing something? Every Subaru lad eventually has to upgrade to a Tacoma, its the natural order.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am pretty sure you can't put an engine and trailer on that boat for 600 lbs. Probably closer to 900 lbs, at least.

Then add in another 400 lbs for fuel, batteries, and gear.

That being said, if I was only pulling to a local, well maintained ramp, would I consider it. Even then I think you will be sorely disappointed after having been using a suburban on the same rig.

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
I used an impala for pulling a 16’ yard with a roller. The issue is not power, it’s the transmission imo

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you currently have a Subaru wagon and a suburban why not just get rid of them both for a medium size truck/SUV that's actually capable of towing something? Every Subaru lad eventually has to upgrade to a Tacoma, its the natural order.

I have a 3/4 ton HD Duramax for heavy hauling but it's overkill for the boat. I'm looking at the Subaru as a replacement for the Toyota RAV 4 I use for around town and was just wondering if it would pull the boat. I thought I could get rid of the Suburban if the Outback can pull the boat and save some license and insurance. The Suburban isn't worth much and license and insurance is only about $200 a year so I guess it can stay hooked to the boat.

- - - Updated - - -

I am pretty sure you can't put an engine and trailer on that boat for 600 lbs. Probably closer to 900 lbs, at least.

Then add in another 400 lbs for fuel, batteries, and gear.

That being said, if I was only pulling to a local, well maintained ramp, would I consider it. Even then I think you will be sorely disappointed after having been using a suburban on the same rig.

You're right Allen, I forgot the motor weight which is 315#. That means boat=910#, motor=315#, trailer=350#, gas and gear=450# is going to be around 2000#. Guess that answers my question. In that case might switch to the Forester model.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a forester, same as outback just a bit roomier I think.
Great little suv.
Never did tow anything with it.
Let me now if you are gonna sell the Suburban.
My 94 just puked a tyranny and am looking for an older beater. (Really)

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
if it was me and i did it, right after i pulled the trigger i'd run into a killer deal i just couldn't pass up on a 20 footer and blow up the whole plan... but that's just me...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88