Brisket - North Dakota Style

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yesterday we had a brisket injected and seasoned but it was 10 below out with -35º to -45º windchills. Whatever, just a chilly inconvenience… drum smoker set up using other grills, table and snow bank as a wind break.

-----

Just before wrapping the brisket

-----

sliced

-----

This brisket was popping with flavor!

Thanks for looking!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
OMG I knew better than to open this thread. Looks absolutely amazing.

I'll post pics of the frozen lasagna I'm popping in the oven tonight :(

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of awesomeness going on there, Thanks for sharing. All of a sudden the shrimp I have soaking don't sound like as good of an Idea as they did a while ago.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
What did you use for your injection cocktail? I've tried some injecting and prefer to just dry rub the brisket.

wkndwarrior

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at doing a briskit myself and have never done one before. Curious if you cut a majority of your fat off your piece of meat? About how long does it take to cook one? I've been you tubing a lot on briskits and seeing some cutting a majority of the fat off and others leaving it and cutting it off after it's been cooked. I just got a traeger so looking at trying a lot of different things.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do a lot of trimming. 1/4 in of fat on top is all you need. Rub it the night before. Put in smoker at @ 225F fat cap up. After about 4 hours you'll hit the stall. The evaporation of fat is so great it cools the meat. At this point, wrap tightly in foil. After another 2 hours, the meat should be 200-210F. From there put in a cooler and let it rest an hour or two. Then it's time to eat meat candy.

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
thanks for making me hungry MO! Where's the tatanka dust?

We are working with another copacker, hoping to have some news to share soon!

What did you use for your injection cocktail? I've tried some injecting and prefer to just dry rub the brisket.

Butcher BBQ Prime Brisket Injection, injection really help ensure not having the brisket not dry out while cooking.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When ever I see that MM has posted a new thread I go get a towel to mop up the forth coming drool and tears.:;:cheers

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at doing a briskit myself and have never done one before. Curious if you cut a majority of your fat off your piece of meat? About how long does it take to cook one? I've been you tubing a lot on briskits and seeing some cutting a majority of the fat off and others leaving it and cutting it off after it's been cooked. I just got a traeger so looking at trying a lot of different things.

Trim most of the really thick fat off and down to roughly 1/4in, night before season with pretty even coating of kosher salt, fresh cracked blacked pepper and sometimes I add in dusting of garlic powder, onion powder, cumin and ancho chili powder. Pecan, Cherry and oak are my favorite smoke choices or even a blend of pecan and cherry. I have injected one or two before with low sodium beef broth but plan on giving the Butcher BBQ Injection a try for something different.
Also can get a hold of that guy that has posted pig roast pics and I am sure he would be willing to come and supervise;)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33