Building a new house

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any input on the best type of flooring to use in the entryway and kitchen? Was pretty much set on duraceramic, but after reading a bit more about it, I'm not sure that it's the way to go. Doesn't sound like it's all that durable.

we have duraceramic in the entry way and kitchen/dining room - only a year and a half though but so far it's holding up well.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't heard of any complaints with duraceramic. But if you want something tough as hell put in bamboo.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Currently have about 1100 sq ft of duraceramic and I also had 1000+ in the last house, was in last house 4 years with no issues what so ever, couple of labs and it held up great. Nothing to complain about in the new one either 3+ years. It will not scratch-gouge yes but what doesn't, will not crack, softer and warmer than pretty much anything else out there, quieter in the rooms also- not as echoey

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Currently have about 1100 sq ft of duraceramic and I also had 1000+ in the last house, was in last house 4 years with no issues what so ever, couple of labs and it held up great. Nothing to complain about in the new one either 3+ years. It will not scratch-gouge yes but what doesn't, will not crack, softer and warmer than pretty much anything else out there, quieter in the rooms also- not as echoey

This helps with the decision to go with duraceramic. Now to pick out the color....

- - - Updated - - -

Any input on windows? What's decent? What should I stay away from? My builder is planning on using Vector brand from Front Street in Bismarck. Anyone have experience with this brand, and if so, what are you thoughts? Unfortunately, my budget will not allow for top of the line windows at this time. I'm certainly not going to put junk in though.

PAIN

Founding Member
Founding Member
plumb in a vent pipe for potential radon mitigation system. test your home a couple months after final construction. If you need a mitigation system and have to install after the fact, it will be much more expensive.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
This helps with the decision to go with duraceramic. Now to pick out the color....

- - - Updated - - -

Any input on windows? What's decent? What should I stay away from? My builder is planning on using Vector brand from Front Street in Bismarck. Anyone have experience with this brand, and if so, what are you thoughts? Unfortunately, my budget will not allow for top of the line windows at this time. I'm certainly not going to put junk in though.
I put Minnkota's (made in Fargo) in my home three years ago. They are excellent windows.

- - - Updated - - -

plumb in a vent pipe for potential radon mitigation system. test your home a couple months after final construction. If you need a mitigation system and have to install after the fact, it will be much more expensive.
I think that's code now. If not it should be. It is in most other states.

fishdrinkhunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
STAY AWAY FROM VECTOR! They are garbage, we have had all of our windows fixed 5 times within the past 6 years. After dealing with that problem through front street millwork they are A$$ Holes to deal with. We built in copper ridge with Chad Wachter and Jaime Schmidt. Those two should never build homes. Terrible communication, no warranty work ever done, fly by night contractors, and just a miserable experience overall. Buffalo concrete did all the concrete work. MY 80 year old grandparents could do better work. Cant wait till we build a new house that is insulated right, with good windows and a contractor that cares.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
STAY AWAY FROM VECTOR! They are garbage, we have had all of our windows fixed 5 times within the past 6 years. After dealing with that problem through front street millwork they are A$$ Holes to deal with. We built in copper ridge with Chad Wachter and Jaime Schmidt. Those two should never build homes. Terrible communication, no warranty work ever done, fly by night contractors, and just a miserable experience overall. Buffalo concrete did all the concrete work. MY 80 year old grandparents could do better work. Cant wait till we build a new house that is insulated right, with good windows and a contractor that cares.

Alright, put the gun down, take a breath

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
Nd I live N do Mandan and do custom cabinets, let me know if you would like an estimate.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow, reviving a nearly 2-year-old thread.

How’d things work out, ndbowhuntr?

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow, reviving a nearly 2-year-old thread.

How’d things work out, ndbowhuntr?

Things worked out pretty well. Overall, it was a good experience but there will always be things that I'd do differently if I could go back.

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
First question is what kind of house? Slab on grade? Best things I did were Make the Garage BIGGER!!!!! 6' deeper and 4 wider (wish i went 6) If its slab Put in floor heat through out whole slab and garage obviously. I spray foamed outside walls and am happy. Make the garage BIGGER!! careful with rural water it can get spendy to water!!! I drilled a well north of bis. cost me 4 grand 2years ago?? put a dog wash in the garage (amazing) no more muddy dogs in the house and was cheap!! garage floor drains are very little cost. HAVE FUN and yes visit bulid site daily and oh did i say Bigger garage!!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55