Bum Knee

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive dislocated my kneecap 5 times in the last 10 years. First couple were sports related but it seems to happen a lot easier now. I was just casually putting an empty otter sled in the pickup box this last time and it popped out and wouldnt pop back in right away... ;:;barf Anyway, the pain and swelling wasnt getting better so i went in and found out i have a partial tear of the patellar tendon. Im in a brace now for the next few weeks and go back in to see if it is healing at all on its own. Hopefully surgery isnt necessary. Anyone else had something similar or know someone? Recovery time if surgery happens? This sucks schweaty balls.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
depending on what they actually do most likely 6 weeks recovery time...don't skimp on the rehab it will benefit in the long run muscle atrophy is a killer...

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I suffered a complete patellar tear 3 summers ago(turns out fat white guys really aren't meant to dunk a basketball). I spent 6 weeks in a cast after. Definately do the PT. I had my surgery beginning of July 3 summers ago and by that fall I was chasing elk in the breaks by fort peck...

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I suffered a complete patellar tear 3 summers ago(turns out fat white guys really aren't meant to dunk a basketball). I spent 6 weeks in a cast after. Definately do the PT. I had my surgery beginning of July 3 summers ago and by that fall I was chasing elk in the breaks by fort peck...

download.jpg

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't they use parts from a cadaver to replace your tore up shit with?

The entire process leaves me queasy, and easier on my knees, ankles, etc.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't they use parts from a cadaver to replace your tore up shit with?

The entire process leaves me queasy, and easier on my knees, ankles, etc.

yes and i find it freaking gross as well.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
When tendons get stretched out, the dislocations occur more easily. This goes for hips, shoulders, ankles....you name it. It's like when you had a loose chain on your bike as a kid. Honestly I think you best option is surgery, IF they can get it tightened up. This will be the best long term. It's a "just fix it right the first time" kinda thing and get on with life. #oldpeopleproblems

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
When tendons get stretched out, the dislocations occur more easily. This goes for hips, shoulders, ankles....you name it. It's like when you had a loose chain on your bike as a kid. Honestly I think you best option is surgery, IF they can get it tightened up. This will be the best long term. It's a "just fix it right the first time" kinda thing and get on with life. #oldpeopleproblems

the more dislocation that occurs the more strain on the joint causing possible bone or cartilage damage...also expect early onset of arthritis ...I agree get it repaired and tightened up...maybe you could even get cadaver parts :;:rockit

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
but,but this was supposed to be my SUMMER OF GEORGE!

Last edited:

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just had my second knee replacement done in November. Got the back leg done this time. ;-) Both surgeries went extremely well and I'm finally pain free for the first time in over 50 years. No more moaning and groaning every time the weather changed. I was pretty lucky that my recovery time for both surgeries was very short compared to some other people I talked with and my range of motion is well above average. I was walking the day after surgery and never used any crutches or walker. The doctor and the therapist told me horror stories of people who didn't do their therapy exercises and had their knees freeze up or couldn't bend them normally so of course I never did one exercise other than walk around the house and the yard taking care of my animals. I think all the walking was better than the exercises but I would still tell people to listen to the therapists. They know what they are talking about. I think the key is to keep moving-don't just sit in the recliner and veg out. I still have a couple of half full bottles of Hydocodone left that I never needed. The pain and swelling I got from the surgery was less annoying than the constipation those damn pills gave me. :mad:

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
The wife has had 3 patellar tendom tears. All required surgery. And she needs a 4th now. That woman has the worst knees. Luckily, sammiches can be made from a wheel chair.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vastus lateralis is your original culprit. It was weak and didn't pull its weight in terms of patellar tracking. All that is in the past but it might be something you work into your workout if you actually started working out. Something like this is a surgical case. You can do pt (ask jdinny) for quads and hammy exercises. You might be better off just having a 2nd opinion and getting cut open. Summer of George can happen in a wheelchair too. Might make you seem vulnerable.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
doc has said for years it's from my flat feet. I workout daily.... you jerk

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
you see it is you inshape sonsabitches that always require extra care.

Us older, fatter, less in shape, beer drinking fools hold together much better. This is only true in the male specimen, as the females must remain slender and young...haha...oh ya and obedient. :;:howdy

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vastus lateralis is your original culprit. It was weak and didn't pull its weight in terms of patellar tracking. All that is in the past but it might be something you work into your workout if you actually started working out. Something like this is a surgical case. You can do pt (ask jdinny) for quads and hammy exercises. You might be better off just having a 2nd opinion and getting cut open. Summer of George can happen in a wheelchair too. Might make you seem vulnerable.

im gonna need you to go ahead and install a wheel chair ramp on fancy feast. it is currently not ADA accessible

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56