Carbon Credits

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone here been involved in carbon offset or carbon trading ? Or know much about CCs ? I was wondering about maybe selling CCs from some forest land but there doesn't seem to be any local brokers. FU used to but they quit for some reason. When they did buy and sell, about 15 years ago, they offered so little per credit that I decided it probably wouldn't even cover the updating of the abstract. I see the price per credit is getting right up there now.

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
I looked at the same thing last fall for some of my forest land. I believe the site I went through was NCX. The whole thing is a complete scam as far as doing anything meaningful for the environment. But I thought if I could make a few bucks and some liberal idiot slept better at night, it was a win win. My acres at my bid price were not accepted in the one "carbon credit auction" I participated in and then their funds dried up before the next scheduled auction it was cancelled. I have not looked lately to see if it is up and running again. There was nothing to do with updating abstracts. I just had to prove to them I owned the land with a property tax statement and they used satellite imagery to verify it was forested. At that time the price per acre was very minimal, but what are you seeing now? Maybe I need to take another crack at it.

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Carbon credit definition-a ponzi scheme or a nice warm blanki. It depends on your point of view which definition you use.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The information I am seeing is very vague and that's a red flag. Iv'e seen prices per credit as low as $2.80 and as high as $80 per credit and estimates from 4.5 up to 40 credits per acre for forest land.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting Savage , I didn't know how that worked. Do you recall how many credits they estimated per acre of your forest land ?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would think if this would be legit it would be funded by the liberal green party government. Then it would work like the crp did for farm land

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Red seems to be the best early spring color for crankbaits.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Call it what you want but I don't mind someone else paying my property tax on forest land. Actually big corporations are forced to because of the cap and trade program. FWIW, I'm not thinking of them or you , If I do this I'll be doing it for me.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
This topic has been around for a while. Here’s how the scam works from a simple point of view. Farmer sells carbon credits to a middle man for a joke of a price. Middle man pockets most of the money after selling the credits for high dollar to a company/factory that’s blowing black smoke in the air. Company/factory brags that they are “carbon neutral” or “Green”.

Last edited:

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
NRCS might be able to give more info. Carbon credits was on the agenda at Ag Day in Jamestown last month. Some of the guys were talking about it at coffee the next day. Some of the payments were up to $30 per acre but again I don't know the details if that is annual or for 5 years total. DU used to have a brochure on CC. Google has some info too.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm new to this but willing to learn. It appears there are ways to cut out the middle man but the amount of credits have to be established and certified and that's what they do for a hefty commission.
Once that process is streamlined like Savage270 mentioned satellite images are being used that whole process will be easier.

I suspect a fair amount of land is being bought up by investors with CCs as a driving factor. Pretty simple business decision and the reason why the big keep getting bigger.

Plan A = buy land for carbon offset or buy and sell carbon credits to stay in compliance with EPA
Plan B = pay for expensive upgrades and or fines for being out of compliance with EPA.

I've always been a DIY type so once I get an estimate or two for comparison I'll visit with the state forest service and see who in the area is qualified to do a field visit and a tree count to certify the credits per acre. Sounds like maybe even something our local college with forestry classes could get involved in.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
NRCS might be able to give more info. Carbon credits was on the agenda at Ag Day in Jamestown last month. Some of the guys were talking about it at coffee the next day. Some of the payments were up to $30 per acre but again I don't know the details if that is annual or for 5 years total. DU used to have a brochure on CC. Google has some info too.

Thanks for the info. I talked with NRCS yesterday and found the Ag Day seminar on youtube. I'll post it incase anyone else is interested.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88