Catch and release isn't always the best option by doug leier

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If it's worth having an unwritten rule then make it a law. If it's that important don't permit fishing tournaments after late June. Until the law changes and the governor's cup ceases to be a kill tournament I'll do whatever the f*** I want, which usually means releasing anything I don't want to eat (over 23" +/-).

I'm tired of this 'should' nonsense from NDGF. It is 'shall' or 'shall not'. They have that authority. Make it a law or GTFO.

Water temp is also a huge factor. A fish from 30 ft in December looks a lot different than in August.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
On another note: I read of an experiment conducted with gut hooked panfish being kept in an aquarium. With the only data of gut hooking and an aquarium the fish produces a "plug" of sorts around the barb which is ejected like a blackhead. NFI. I found it comforting and experimented with a new cucumber/honey scrotum poultice. Damn!!--and you've read the whole thing...

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
We'd have a lot of unnecessary laws if ndgf tried more often to legislate ethics. Personally I keep fish and quit early if fishing deep

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We'd have a lot of unnecessary laws if ndgf tried more often to legislate ethics. Personally I keep fish and quit early if fishing deep
We already have a lot of unnecessary laws. They don't let me unzip walleye fillets at the cleaning station because the blue platers were cutting them into chunks.

Personally I also quit early when fishing deep. Again, if it's that important make it a law. But don't spend my license money running commercials telling me to do something that isn't a law at the same time you're permitting tournaments where people are incentivized to catch and keep only the biggest fish from any depth.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^What of this "fizzing"? You're right. I'm sure it sucks ass to spend all the "jack" to catch five eaters and spend it again two hours later with all the ramp bullshit, etc. Many of you guys don't show enough respect for pike (better eating than walleye IMHO), SMB (fight) and even a fly rod for carp (not stupid). All the fuel, logistics etc to get five eaters and get back to the garage is like fucking a sandbag in an orgy. Bleed immediately and get headfirst into ice.

That is all.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it's worth having an unwritten rule then make it a law. If it's that important don't permit fishing tournaments after late June. Until the law changes and the governor's cup ceases to be a kill tournament I'll do whatever the f*** I want, which usually means releasing anything I don't want to eat (over 23" +/-).

I'm tired of this 'should' nonsense from NDGF. It is 'shall' or 'shall not'. They have that authority. Make it a law or GTFO.

Water temp is also a huge factor. A fish from 30 ft in December looks a lot different than in August.
Heaven forbid the government suggest things without making them law. Wash your hands during cold and flu season...make it law. Don't drink pop...make it law. Get vacc...nevermind won't go there. Hopefully my sarcasm came through there.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
You know releasing fish that die isnt the end of the world either. Any moron should realize that dead fish are quickly reabsorbed into the food chain and the nutrients provided are utilized by the system at one level or another. While it shouldnt be encouraged, at the same time its not exactly harmful to the system at low to moderate levels either.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
You know releasing fish that die isnt the end of the world either. Any moron should realize that dead fish are quickly reabsorbed into the food chain and the nutrients provided are utilized by the system at one level or another. While it shouldnt be encouraged, at the same time its not exactly harmful to the system at low to moderate levels either.
Exactly . I’m not keeping an 11” walleye just cuz I caught it in 30’ of water sorry

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
used to fish low allot and their size limit only one over some length on northerns we were stuffing big dead northerns down the hole every trip. what are you supposed to do?

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
God damn some people will bitch about anything. The article is clearly for some who may be newer to fishing and helping them understand what happens when a fish is brought up from deep. You guys want more laws? Just so you can bitch about them or what?

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Exactly . I’m not keeping an 11” walleye just cuz I caught it in 30’ of water sorry
If I'm targeting deep fish in late summer, I have no problem keeping 11 inchers and stopping at a limit or going shallower for catch and release. On the flip side I'm not keeping a 28" walleye caught in 30 FOW if it is able to swim down strongly. That fish has a chance in the water but none in the box, and I'm not showing up at the cleaning station with a pig unless it goes belly up.

I'm not arguing against catch and keep from deep water, especially in late summer when water temps are higher. I take exception to NDGF permitting tournaments where they know this happens with no rules preventing it. See below with AIM (catch, record, release format) participants talking about targeting fish in 30 - 45 FOW.

https://aimfishing.com/north-dakota...ay-teams-say-winner-will-need-30-plus-pounds/

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sakakawea for the most part doesn't have natural reproduction. That 24+ sized fish likely isn't producing much for a fresh crop of eaters anyway. Don't ever feel bad about keeping a big fish, its no ones business.
I put anything over 22 or so back, but on occasion have kept a big one, and feel great about it.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
The better half and i booked a 3 nite stay up at Arneson's at Lake of the Woods. 2 days of fishing in one of their 60 plus, day shacks. i think they said like 80-90 day shacks... and like 50ish sleeper houses also.
We did the 2 day fishing excursion.. 2 different fish houses each day. We found out Lake of the Woods has about as many 11-13 inch eyes as Devils. Most of our Saugers/Walleyes were fooled on the dead sticks with a whole minnow on a red hook. First day we caught like 35 eyes and keep 7...most on the dead sticks....most of those swallowed the hook, bad. 2nd day we didnt use dead sticks , just jigged.. we only caught 18 and kept 3. 17 inch top. At least the released ones hadnt swallowed the treble to live another day. I must give Arneson's kudos tho! Top notch! They have like 14 tracked vehicles to take clients out and back again each day. 2-6 ppl per rig. we bought the $50 meal package per person which included a hot breakfast at 6:30..sack lunch and supper off the menu in the lodge. my only complaint is i wish we would have had lures down at 6:30 versus 8ish. I have to hand it to my wife as she said..shouldnt we be fishing by 7? hahha

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sakakawea for the most part doesn't have natural reproduction. That 24+ sized fish likely isn't producing much for a fresh crop of eaters anyway. Don't ever feel bad about keeping a big fish, its no ones business.
I put anything over 22 or so back, but on occasion have kept a big one, and feel great about it.
I don't put it back to reproduce. I put it back to hopefully catch again when it's even bigger.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88