CC permit question

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently got my expiration notice for my permit that I got 5 years ago. At that time I got the ND class 2 as well as the Utah one as that seemed to be the way to go. With the changes over the past few years that I haven't really stayed caught up on, is it worth it to renew these again? I haven't looked into it much, but seem to remember not needing these and just upgrading to a ND class 1 would be what I should do? I'm sure somebody can give me a much more simplified answer than me trying to read through all the dam law changes.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many years is the class 1 good for before renewal is needed? What is required for renewal of a class 1. I just renewed my class 2 early this year and it was pretty simple.

Class 1 ND CCW is the way to go, reciprocity with 30+ states.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Renewal for class 2 is pretty easy if I remember right pay the fee and send an updated photo. To go from class 2 to class 1 you basically have to start over, take the class/test again and then do a shooting test for the class 1 having a class 2 doesn't carry any merit to upgrade to a class 1.

Also with a ND class 2 permit and the Utah CCW you have reporacity in a lot of states probably the same or more than a class 1 except minnesota.

Disclaimer: Don't take this as fact although This was my findings a year or two ago when I renewed my permits I have class 2 and the utah ccw.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Renewal for class 2 is pretty easy if I remember right pay the fee and send an updated photo. To go from class 2 to class 1 you basically have to start over, take the class/test again and then do a shooting test for the class 1 having a class 2 doesn't carry any merit to upgrade to a class 1.

Also with a ND class 2 permit and the Utah CCW you have reporacity in a lot of states probably the same or more than a class 1 except minnesota.

F Minnesota! Buncha fascists!

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
F Minnesota! Buncha fascists!

Yuppp, wouldn't care except its a bordering state the utah ccw used to work for minnesota, but the have gotten really weird over there and took that away.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did the same, renewed my Utah and got a ND class 2 as it was needed to renew the Utah due to now requiring one to have a CC permit from their home state before being able to get a Utah CC permit just before the state of ND updated their rules to gain resiprocity with more states making the Utah one not as good now. Next time i get close to renewal I will just get a ND class 1 permit and be done. I may renew the utah one just to keep it if things change in the future though, cheap and easy to renew so might as well.

Short answer to your question would be let the Class 2 go and get a ND class 1 and be done knowing you have the best CC permit in the land.

Last edited:

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a ND class 2, notice I said had. Filled out the paperwork on line and never sent the rest in so now it’s expired so would have to start all over ;:;banghead Decided not to renew the ND one and Utah one.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I understand after talking to an officer that I North Dakota you do not need one. I let mine lapse. He even said he let his lapse as well. I don't carry as a defense tool anyway just had it for hunting and traveling within the state to not get in trouble. I suggest if you get it for defense get the trading so you don't end up hurting yourself or others. It's a different ballgame when the stuff hits the fan than it is sitting at home in your easy chair thinking what you would do if someone attacked.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
what CC permit works in MN?

ND Class 1 I believe has the best reciprocity in the country as of right now. A lot of people get the Florida CC permit as well to have the most coverage as well. Utah fell out of favorites due to most states now requiring a 21 year minimum age to hold a CC permit and Utah issues to 18 year olds. Also Utah now requires a person to hold a CC permit from ones home state in order to get one now too which wasn't the case a few years back.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
The class one classes? are they like a one day thing, couple evenings, or two weeks regime?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 56