cold...

hoytslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
as much as everyone hates to admit its not very far away and we all know it. so with that being said I was looking for a new set of base layers and theres a lot of options so was just kind of wondering what everyones favorite brand is ?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anything that's 100% synthetic. Polypropylene is good, polyester, nylon, fleece, etc. I just adjust the weight of the base material to my level of activity and expected temperature. If I'm going to be sitting still in a tree stand for hours in December, I put on a heavy base layer, then duct tape a couple hand warmers to my lower back over my kidneys to catch maximum blood flow. I use whatever inexpensive base layer I happen to pick up.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Under armor clothing is way nice, and very expensive for what you get. So it's a win win

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
i wouldnt get kryptek. i went into scheels yesterday just to try the different layering system on. ( sorry for the mess in the changing room i bet i tried a dz pants on.) as i will order from cabelas with my card. anyhow sitka gear fit nice but tough to choke donw the price at 200 for a pair of pants. kyrptek was a weird fit. fit good in the waist and tight as hell around the thighs. and then felt like skinny jeans. now im about 6' 190-195 depending if i have shit that day or not. i would try them on. i ended up ordering cabelas version of the layering system and will let you know how i like them.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anything that's 100% synthetic.

Pick up one of these for you and your partner if you decide to follow Turd's advice - for the upper body anyway.

133_SURVIVAIR-Opti-Fit-Full-Face-Respirator-1.jpg

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pick up one of these for you and your partner if you decide to follow Turd's advice - for the upper body anyway.

133_SURVIVAIR-Opti-Fit-Full-Face-Respirator-1.jpg
Merino wool. For your hunting buddy's sake, try merino. Unless of course you enjoy the smell of hot garbage wafting up from under your jacket after a single day of wearing synthetic

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
some of that synthetic clothes' ability to support funk bacterial life is just unreal - about 2 hours into A DRIVE (ice fishing for instance) I can start to smell the nastiness

then again I only wear deodorants most of the time (chronic exposure to metals in antiperspirants creeps me out a little - plus the staining of white clothes)

when I wear a mean full strength antiperspirant then it doesn't seem to happen near as bad nor as quickly - but I usually just go old right guard deodorant

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
some of that synthetic clothes' ability to support funk bacterial life is just unreal - about 2 hours into A DRIVE (ice fishing for instance) I can start to smell the nastiness

then again I only wear deodorants most of the time (chronic exposure to metals in antiperspirants creeps me out a little - plus the staining of white clothes)

when I wear a mean full strength antiperspirant then it doesn't seem to happen near as bad nor as quickly

I share your creeped-outness.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
What deodorant do you guys use..Tom's? I have been thinking of switching from antiperspirants myself.

Also for base layers i use Merino for upper body, synthetic for lower because I've found it doesn't really make a difference below the waist for me, so no need to spend the extra $$

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
What you need is a calf-scours green striped long-sleeve quarter-zip fleece, by Burton. It's what I wear all fall. Wash it about once a month. Catches me lots of fishies.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Old men typically start to stink worse as age increases. The cure is evasive.

Mr Nice

Founding Member
Founding Member
wouldn't waste the money on synthetic and buy merino wool only. First Lite and Sitka has replaced all of my Under Armour base layers

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sitkas new synthetic wont stink after a week of heavy sweat i put it to the test this summer had my wife smell it. She told me i was retarded till she smelled it and there was no funk. I like merino its just some is not very durable.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33